Ceuta - See & Do

Ceuta - See & Do

City Walls
The Monumental Complex of the Royal Walls was the borderline of ancient Ceuta. If you cross the Walls you will find the Royal Moat, navigable since the era of Portuguese rule. The oldest fortresses of the Walls are found to the east of this Moat. More>

Our Lady of Africa sanctuary
The history of this church dates back to when the image of Our Lady of Africa was sent to Ceuta in 1421 by the Infante Henry the Navigator, ordering that it should be venerated from such time and dedicated to Saint Mary of Africa, and they also built a temple. More>

Califate Gate
The door was meant to be the access for the walls that Abderraman III built after Ceuta was conquered in 1931, In order to close the isthmus area of the city itself. The "califa" nickname was given because the door belongs to the Caliphate of Córdoba period. More>

Cathedral of St Mary of the Assumption
The dioceses of Ceuta was created as a result of the Portuguese conquest by John I of Portugal on 21 August 1415 and this ancient mosque was converted into a church, with Christian worship introduced here. More>

Assembly Palace
This building, with its simple elegant architecture, was started to be built in 1914 and was opened in 1927 by his Majesty the King Alphonse XIII and Victoria Eugenie. The following are among the most important rooms in the Palace... More>

Late Roman Basilica
This museum was created when the remains of the Late Roman Basilica were discovered. They are of great historic importance since they are the only Christian remains on these shores of the Mediterranean from the fourth century. More>

Museum of the Legion
When it was first created in 1940, the Legion Museum was in a barracks room of the 2nd Legion Tercio in Morocco, but due to the country's independence in 1956 the Tercio was transferred and along with it the museum. More>

Ceuta Museum
This museum occupies one of the former ravelin pavilions built in 1900 by the Military Engineers Squad, according to a project designed by Ceuta's Exempt Command. In 1989, the building's restoration project was approved to set up the museum there, in the same year it obtained a Cultural Heritage declaration. More>

Arab Baths
These baths were steam baths or hammans. They were used for both hygienic-sanitary needs and for other aspects of Islamic life. They were open at certain times for men and other times for women and some baths were connected to the nearby mosques. More>

City Walls
The city walls show us the historical evolution of Ceuta through various transformations it underwent in its defensive structure; in particular transformations as a result of the Portuguese conquest in 1415 and the reconstruction ordered after a disastrous storm in the 17th century that destroyed the city walls. Some stretches of the wall near the Mallorquines Fortress are from the original design built in the 10th century by Abd al-Rahman III.

The Marinid Walls
The Afrag or Al-Mansura, the Royal Encampment, was founded in 1328 by sultan Abú Said. Its location was chosen for its strategic geographic position and the fact it was near a river, the Fes stream, which was also used as a natural defence and a source of supplies of building materials, and as a supply of water for the settlers in the fortress. Its construction was based on the Fes al-Jadid programme ("New Fes") and was designed as the residence of the sultan and his followers. The facilities of the Afrag are completed by baths and various mosques, and the main or largest one has a magnificent minaret, corn exchanges and dwellings for the sultan's service staff. Nowadays, it represents the best example of preserved Marinid architecture in Spain and a magnificent example of mediaeval defensive architecture. Admission is free since the whole route is around the outside the walls.

Monte Hacho Fortress
This is a citadel built at the beginning of the 10th century under the orders of Almansur, currently preserving a series of walls with semi-circular towers, possibly from the 16th century, which enclose various fortresses built in the 18th century. There are various buildings inside and the main one was used as a prison for several centuries.

The Hercules
These are huge bronze statues of Hercules located in the entrance of the Port of Ceuta and Plaza de la Constitución. They symbolise the separation and the union of two continents, Europe and Africa, by using the mythical figure of Hercules, thus being placed in the original setting of the myth, the Straits of Gibraltar.

The House of Dragons
A historical building with three floors that were built from the end of the 19th century. The spectacular dragons crowning its façade are replicas of the originals that were removed during the 2nd Republic. (C/Camoens / Millán Astray)

Palace of the Assembly
Construction began in 1914 and it was opened in 1927 by the Spanish monarchs Alphonse XIII and Victoria Eugenie. Its imperial staircase especially stands out, with its ceramics from Talavera, Portuguese inspiration from Ruiz de Luna and French-style Throne Room. (Plaza de África)

The Trujillo Building
It was named after the family that commissioned its construction. The new building is inspired by the neo-baroque buildings of recent historical style that became fashionable in large Spanish thoroughfares. Its presence is further reinforced by its corner location. (Paseo del Revellín, 1)

House of the Pulpits
This building was constructed in 1934-1935. The four floors are designed in a functional architectural style, only altered by some neoclassical and baroque elements, which have resulted in the building being commonly known as the House of the Pulpits due to the shape of its balconies. (Paseo Marina Española, 21)

The Port Authority
This was built in 1929 and is a clear example of machine aesthetics. Inspired by a ship, with projecting eaves, openings in the shape of portholes and areas that look like funnels. It has been reformed. (Muelle de España)

Museo de Ceuta
This is housed in one of the pavilions of the former ravelin barracks built in 1900. It offers a permanent archaeological exhibition and two rooms are designed for temporary exhibitions.

The Open Museum
This museum is housed in the central part of Plaza de Armas of the Monumental Complex of the Royal Walls. There is a section in the Museum exhibiting fine arts, temporary exhibitions and "The 7 essences of Ceuta". Saint Ignatius Ravelin. (The Royal Walls)

Cathedral Museum and Archive
This shows visitors religious images, precious metalwork, books and clothing from between the 15th and 20th centuries. It is highlighted by it processional monstrance, Cabildo silver sceptres and an ivory and tortoiseshell Magdalene. (Plaza de África, Tel. +34 956 517 771)

Museum of the Sea Foundation
This shows the evolution taking place in the port of Ceuta through a sample of planimetrics and photographic reproductions of the port. (Muelle de España, Tel. +34 956 503 264)

The Museum of Regular Troops
An exhibition area devoted to the regular troops, with pieces that witness the history of this military unit since its foundation in 1911. It has four rooms. (Avda. Tte. Coronel Gautier, Tel. +34 956 521 805)

The Desnarigado Military Museum
Three exhibition rooms containing firearms, uniforms from the era, paintings, vexilla, etc. There are outside areas that include the ruins of the fort from the 17th century. (Carretera del Monte Hacho, Tel. +34 956 527 458)

Mediterranean Marine Park
Imagine an idyllic spot right in the centre of the city offering 56,000 square metres of spectacular blue salt water lakes, waterfalls and diving boards, with a solarium surrounded by beautiful palm trees... This is the Mediterranean Maritime Park. More>

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share