Casa de Pilatos - Large Garden - Palace of the Duke of Alcala

Large Garden - Palace of the Duke of Alcala

This area was originally an orchard and vegetable garden. Per Afán Enríquez de Ribera had amassed such a collection of classical statues that instead of modifying the existing palace to display them, in 1568, he commissioned Neapolitan architect Benvenutto Tortello to build a new palace around the old orchard, transforming it into an archaeological garden.

Tortello followed the model of a late-Roman-style palace with balconies looking out over the landscape. Cleverly he inverted them and opened the balconies towards the closed garden. He included niches and vaulted niches to house the archaeological pieces.

A small grotto in one of its corners completes the "Italianization" of this space.

 

 

search hotels near casa de pilatos



calendar
Show only available hotels

 


View the Casa de Pilatos in a larger map

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share