Couple of Techie questions PC's/cameras

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Campo Kenny

Couple of Techie questions PC's/cameras

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 am

Need to pick up a new desk top PC, going out later so replys welcomed ASAP.

1) Windows Vista, is it worth going for this system,? at present the PC's on offer are 50% XP 50% Vista.
I've run XP for a few years now without any hassles, I don't want to go for a system that gives me tons of grief like the Milleneum operating system did a few years back........anyone here using Vista? and is it fully sorted and able to ink to other Laptops we have running XP.

2) I've also been asked by SWMBO to pick up a new digi camera. Problems with the ones we've had is that although good quality pics the narrow angle of the lens means you have to stand about 1/2 mile away to photograph 6 people.

Is it possible to buy a small pocket sized unit with a built in decent width lens?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes, I agree. I won't be 'upgrading' to Vista but if I was buying a new computer with it preloaded I would be quite happy.

I have a Canon Ixus which has wide range of lens settings. You can compare the models here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product ... /index.asp

Being Canon they are obviously not cheap but, in my opinion, are extremely good.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 pm

That was good timing! Just been to Costco and had a look what they had.
Problem with the machines they had there was that I can't do a price comparison.....ie all their model numbers don't show up on UK websites, I think they are all American models :? They were also being sold with humungous widescreen massive monitors which reflected in the price.

One thing I'd love answering though...........I'm obviously going to go for the dual Core proccesors, but eachdual core machine there was specced at 1.8 mhz proccessor speed :? ......my old pentium 4 single proceesor is specced at 2.4 mhz. Am I missing something here or do they mean 1.8 x 2 ?...........it certainly didn't say that though.

Off to PC World later and the usual suspects......at least you can ask a few questions there..........in Costco nobody knew a thing about them :(

Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Spanish Hopes posted his reply before I did but mine is shown first! :? Just explaining that it was his post I was agreeing with.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Cheers SH.

Beachy, thanks very much for the link, will have a good browse right now.

Kenny

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:42 pm

Strange :?

Same here

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 pm

The biggest problem I can see with vista is that the software manufacturers have not all kept up. I did try the beta version on a laptop and most of my software would not work with it. I think the final release is a little better.
I certainly won't be rushing to buy it but if I were to change my computer and it came pre-installed I would carry on with it.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:48 pm

Beach, just for reference which model Ixus do you have? That seems to be what I'm after but don't need loads of bells and whistles, just a good quality digi to do what I asked for. The 70 looks to fit the bill but the 60 also looks like it is OK but a lot cheaper.....I'm leaning towards the 70.

Kenny

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Yes, I agree. I won't be 'upgrading' to Vista but if I was buying a new computer with it preloaded I would be quite happy.
I would add a caveat that the pre-loaded Vista machine should work ok but there is a strong possibility that some of your older peripherals (printer, scanner etc.) that you connect to it may struggle.
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:42 pm

I have been runnning Vista Home Premium for about 3 weeks. I previously tried the Beta but there were some compatibility problems.

The full version is installed in a second partition so I can still run XP.

I have found a couple of programs that won't run but an upgrade was available. As for hardware the sound card wasn't recognised but that was quickly sorted (it's a 4 year old PC). The Logitech webcam wouldn't work but I fixed that OK with some help from a few forums.

Overall it runs really well - as fast as XP - and I really like it now I have explored some of the newer features.

You can download the Vista Upgrade Advisor from http://tinyurl.com/3b27j6

This will tell you whether you have any hardware of software that might give you a problem. You can then check the manufacturers website to look for drivers or software upgrades.

Vista has had so much beta testing that for a first release it is pretty clean - much better than the first releases of XP.

Sid

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:08 pm

WOW!!! I didn't even feel the earth move there and I slipped down the posting. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Kenny,

Don't worry about the core-2 clock speed. Even a single core at 1.8 would beat your old P4 2.4.

The core-2 processor is not based on P4 architecture but on the very successful Pentium M processor, which in turn was a development of the old P3. The P4 was never that good, easily beaten by lower clock speed Athlons and generating lots of heat too.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Just got back from the retail park where there is a PC World and a Currys next door to each other (same firm I was told)

Anyway the guy I spoke to in PC world was a geeky type but knew his stuff.
Valencia Paul you were spot on re the comments on clock speeds........the new 1.8mhz machines are a different breed I'm told.

Anyway settles on machine that will be great for me but decided to check Currys as well.................sure enough it's there at £70 cheaper.

I said I'll have one and they told me they had none in stock, I asked about getting one from next door and was told "no way" :? ......sod it then.

When I got home I called a mate re. this and he said to try Dell.

He said if the machine works well out of the box you have no problem.....he says the problem with Dell is that if you do have a problem the helpline is awful and they're loathe to swap a faulty unit without hassles.

Anyone able to concur with this as I think their prices look better than the high streets for comparible PC's

Kenny

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:21 pm

I have bought a fair number of Dells and have a number of friends who use them.

Out of about a dozen or more PCs the only failure was a hard disk and the Dell technician arrived within 24 hours to swap it under the 4 year warranty.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything else and their prices are pretty competitive, especially some of the offers.

For those living in Spain, Dell Espana have the advantage that they will supply Windows and the other s/w in English and with UK keyboards.

I've got two more arriving this week for friends.

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Just shows you cid, two competley differing tales.

You have given confidence in what you say and will hopefully order a system from them now. The prices do look fabulous to what I've seen "in the flesh" today.

Many thanks for the info and opinion.

Cheers,

Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Just to go back to your question about the Ixus camera, I have an Ixus i which was one of the first models which I bought about four years ago. It is fairly basic and easy to use but it is ideal for my wife who is a bit of a technophobe and is more at home in front of the camera than behind it.

The problem is, as with anything, that they add all this extra stuff that people very rarely use.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:28 pm

Exactly Beach, Wife said just that this morning. It seems like I need the current version of your model.

We just want a point and shoot job that has a wider angle setting and an ability to autofocus/flash .........as you say I'm not bothered in bells and unusable whistles, just a good quality basic camera.

By the way using a Fuji Finepix at present but its a chunky little thing and its wide angle capabilities are zero....stunning pic quality though.

Cheers,

Kenny

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi Kenny

You say you want a camera with a reasonably wide angle lens. Most digicams have a lens around 35-38mm which in normal camera terms is reasonably wide.

If you want anything wider then the choice is very limited. Personally I like Canon as the picture quality is consistently good. They have a really small camera with a 28mm lens. Its the Ixus 850IS (or SD800IS) and it has a 3.7x zoom and image stabilisation. Its not cheap but it might be what you need.

All the Canons still have optical viewfinders. Personally I would not use a camera without one. The light is so bright here that even with the very best screens it is sometimes impossible to see them in sunlight.

There are two very good review sites you might like to browse. www.dpreview.com and http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Cid, thanks for links. Just been swotting up on the 850IS. Reckon I'd get one for £220 ordering online. It says 3.8X wide angle. Would this do to get 4 people in, or say a complete car from say 5 or 6 paces away?........ambigous question I know but the little Fuji wouldn't have a chance.

This camera is also classed as ultra slim so it fits all the requirements. Just have to check back to see if it will do small movie mode and I think thats the one.

Thanks again,

Kenny

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Kenny, if you are in the UK and haven't bought yet have a look and see if there is anything you fancy here:
http://morgancomputers.co.uk/
I've bought a Packard Bell from them and my wife got a Dell from them. Had some problems with the Packard and they were on the case straight away. Their camera prices are cheap too, if there is anything that fits your spec.
Grouser