Car Tax

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Sadie
Resident

Car Tax

Postby Sadie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi everyone I am sorry if this has been covered before but can anyone direct me in the procedure to paying car tax, I have a Spanish registered car and I hear tax is due around now but not sure how I go about paying it and to where.

Thanks
Sadie

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi,

Simply go to your Town hall (ayuntamiento). Take last years car tax and they can do it from that, or take you Permicion de circulaccion or ficha technical. As they want your money then there should be no problems. All cars should be paid before May but don't wait to long as the queues go out of the door and down the street the nearer you get to cut off date

Dave

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:12 pm

You pay the car tax at your local Town Hall for the current calendar year. Each municipality has a certain voluntary period for payment of the tax after which it is subject to a surcharge. You can put it on direct debit along with your IBI and basura.

It often takes a considerable time for the Town Hall to be notified of the change of ownership of a vehicle so if you bought it in the past twelve months or so it could still be in the name of the previous owner.

I suggest you call at the Town Hall and ask them to check if you owe anything on the vehicle.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:16 pm

Here in Alora you can´t actually pay the tax at the Town Hall. They give you the "invoice" which has to be taken to a bank for payment. The form lists which selected banks you may use and, just to add to the "customer unfriendly" system, you can only make the payment on certain days of the week and between certain times (usually at what seems like the crack of dawn). The only way to get round this is to pay by direct debit! :?

It might, of course, be different elsewhere!

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Thank you all for replying so soon.

Regards
Sadie

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 am

We´ve just received our car tax in the post - 124.50 euros. :!: We have to pay it into a bank.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:40 am

What sort of car are you running, Babby? I pay by direct debit, and have just received my form, receipted to show it has been paid, for 79.14€!
I had popped into my bank to make sure it would be paid a couple of weeks ago because this is the first year of DD for me, and the ever-helpful Nacho rang the tax office in Velez, who confirmed that (a) they were a bit late sending out the bills, and (b) that there was indeed a DD set up for me.
It is far easier to use DD, avoiding penalties for late payment, and you can always check what is going on via internet banking. When I recently changed insurer, I simply got on-line, cancelled any DD to Zurich Insurance, and that stopped problems with them automatically taking a premium after I had cancelled the policy.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:04 am

When we legalised our car a few years back on to Spanish plates we were told by an ex pat "Andalucian Guru" in the village that the ITV sticker also included your road tax for the period :roll: . I enquired about this as I had noticed that no Spanish plated cars carried a UK style tax disc and his answer gave me no reason to doubt him.

Anyway 2 years later I find out the real truth after forgetting about it for 2 years after what this believable plonker told us.

I went to the town hall and explained "No problema" the lady said, I handed over about a hundred euros and that paid for the tax I'd mistakenly overlooked AND the current year...............dead simple and done with a smile :!:

Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm

The ITV sticker doesn't even prove that your vehicle has a current ITV. It is the ITV stamp and dates of validity on the ficha técnica that are important.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:37 pm

We run a normal run of the mill car, not a 4 x 4 just a 1.7 diesel. We happen to live in the area of Antequera who charges more than anyone else we know for car tax. :cry:
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.