Sky Tv Problem's

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Nicki
Tourist

Sky Tv Problem's

Postby Nicki » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Im having problem's with my sky tv, ITV & BBC1 break up at around 7pm every night, it's been like this for week's. Ive had the SKY Guy out to re-align the dish since the bad wind's we experienced a few week's ago, but still having problems.

Any helpfull advice would be appreciated.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:48 pm

where in Andalucia are you?

Dave

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Assuming the dish is actually aligned properly and the LNB skew is correct it is possible that water has got into the LNB.

Can you access the dish easily? Check to see if if has self-amalgamating tap (not insulation tape) around the plug where the cable goes into the LNB.

It is also possible that the dish has become warped in the wind losing its parabolic properties resulting in the signal not being properly reflected back into the LNB.

A proper engineer with the correct equipment (as opposed to an untrained ladder monkey of which there are many) should be able to sort this out.

Nicki
Tourist

Postby Nicki » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 am

Thankyou all for your replies.

I live in Alhaurin el Grande by the way.

My husband will check the tape today.
We tried putting a booster onto it but then the signal went altogether.

We have had 2 sky guy's out in the last 3months, both recommended highly. One of the guy's said that after 6pm the signal is low because they are solar ??? sound's odd to me. Both guy's got the signal back, but like I say after 7pm it starts to break up, but it's fine during the day, unless it's very windy.
One guy suggested we move the dish at a cost of 200euros to the other side of our house, where it will be more sheltered.

Or like you say Beachcomber, maybe the dish has warped, maybe a new dish is the answer.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:42 am

A booster is only used for a long cable run where there may be signal loss. It will not boost the signal going into the dish.

One other thing is that I assume you have at least a 1,2m dish. You should not lose BBC or ITV except, possibly, in heavy rain.

I know you have already tried two installers but if you need another one try Russell on 607 512186.

burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby burrotaxi » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 am

We had very similar experience, everything fine during the day but slowly losing channels at around 7.00pm. We checked everything and experienced the aforementioned ladder monkeys trying to sell us all manner of replacement items including trying to tell me that both of my SKY Digiboxes were faulty!
Eventually the problem was sorted by upgrading to a bigger dish.
Its looks awful on the front of the house but the television works!
BurroTaxi

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:00 am

Beachcombers comment about water in the LNB is a valid point although I can't see that being the problem if the picture dies at a certain time everyday.

I mention the LNB/water issue as last week I went to see a friends new Sky installation from a reccomended fitter..................I was quite concerned and surprised to see he'd only bound the co-ax wire into the LNB with normal cheap insulating tape instead of the normal and required use of self almalgamating rubber tape I was told to use this when I fitted new LNB here in UK.

He also had not put the little loop in cable to divert water and the poor quality tape he'd used was already coming ustuck and looking very tatty after only one month..........recipe for disaster and a new LNB within a year :cry:
Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:26 pm

Water in the cable attenuates the signal so any slight drop in signal strength will result in the total loss of reception. Joints in a cable run will also affect it.

There are many things to check before having to go to the expense of replacing components but just recently I cured a very similar problem for someone (who had also called a number of 'experts') simply by replacing the LNB.

The replacement was only a spare that had been kicking around in my garage for some time but since then everything has been fine.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 pm

:( We had exactly the same problem. However, when we acquired ( for free) a 1.8 dish, the problems vanished; same equipment otherwise....soooooo, I can only say, get a bigger dish. It worked for us.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:49 pm

The leisurepower.co.uk site says that in the evening until midnight the satellite has to turn slightly to keep the solar array pointing at the sun and hence that alters the beam. It also says accurate alignment of the lnb is needed but ultimately a bigger dish is the answer. Don't know about the first part but in this case bigger is better.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 pm

:( Slightly off topic, but anyone know what the Spanish is for "Self Amalgamating Tape" please...'cause thats what you need for waterproofing cable joints...nothing touches it :P

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Cinta de caucho. Literally 'rubber tape'!

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 am

Hi Nicki I know an installer and have recommended him to people on here before- Paul 657081492 - you dont say where abouts you are but I know he covers all areas

Jk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jk » Tue May 01, 2007 8:44 pm

You need at least A 1.3 MTR DISH TO RECEIVE SKY 24HRS, otherwise it will disappear in the vening.