Passport renewal.. HELP!!!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
hedonist
Andalucia.com Amigo

Passport renewal.. HELP!!!

Postby hedonist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Help!

Have to get a passport sorted out really quickly. I heard there was the place in Malaga.. and then that the only place was Madrid... Also that you can do it in GIB...

What are the options???

Thanks in advance.
Do or do not... there is no try. Yoda

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:36 pm

You can only renew via Madrid, application forms can be printed on-line.

hedonist
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hedonist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Only Madrid?

I have a friend who is going to Gibraltar tomorrow to renew hers. She insists that although it will have a small 'Gibraltar' word on it.. it is good and ca be done. We'll see!

In the meantime

Do you have an email address/link for the online forms?

Thanks Katy

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:58 pm

Type in British embassy Madrid in google - there is a link which is to long to post here.

The correct page should be amongst first you see.

The link you need on the page is 'Support for British Nationals Abroad'.

Click on this and all the passport information will appear.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Let us know about the Gibraltar attempt because I was told it is not possible :?

hedonist
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hedonist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm

I will let you know....

Thanks for you help guys... anymore info would be good.

D X

sassy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sassy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:08 pm

website for passports from Madrid: www.ukinspain.com

I too would be interested to know if passports are issued in Gib, I have always been informed it is only possible in Madrid, used to be possible in Malaga until about 5 years ago.

Good luck :)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:24 pm

I know it doesn't help you in this instance because you need it done quickly but I always send mine to UKPA in the UK for renewal and have it sent to an address in the UK. It is about a third of the cost of renewing it in Madrid.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:56 pm

You CANNOT renew a UK passport in Gibraltar, no matter what anyone tells you, you CAN renew a Gibraltar passport there if you are a Gibraltarian, by birth, on the other hand, you cannot renew a Gibraltarian passport in the UK!
Ah! the full english!!

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 pm

I am not sure what I will need to do - I need mine daily to go to Gib - got a few years before I need to worry though :wink: :wink: :wink:
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 pm

You will probably have to fly to Madrid :)

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:24 pm

I recently renewed mine, via post to Madrid, they promise 10 working days once received, mine was sent urgent and certificated on a friday and was back two and half full weeks later. I think you will have to go to Madrid. Please make sure you pay good attention to instructions for the photo, very strict on it.

Link we used was .....

www.fco.gov.uk

thats the definative website for embassay/ passports etc there is a consulate in Malaga the main one is Mardid.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:38 pm

I got my new passport back last week from Madrid, it took 3 weeks to arrive but I was expecting that as it was replacing a stolen passport.

If you will be in the UK for a while you can get an emergancy passport (1 way travel only) from the Britsh consluate in Malaga and then apply in person at any UK passport office for the normal passport, work's out about 20 pounds cheaper doing it that way as well..lol..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 am

Retro P wrote:You CANNOT renew a UK passport in Gibraltar, no matter what anyone tells you, you CAN renew a Gibraltar passport there if you are a Gibraltarian, by birth, on the other hand, you cannot renew a Gibraltarian passport in the UK!
If you could it would certainly be convenient for me.

With that in mind I emailed the passport office in Gib and they confirm what you say - you cannot renew a UK passport in Gibraltar.

Sid

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 am

You can renew a UK passport in Gibraltar, I have just done it but to do this you have to either work or reside in Gibraltar.

The best way is to go through Madrid. You can download the forms and send them with a courier. The cost includes return by registered post.

happy days

Passports

Postby happy days » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:15 am

As already stated you about passports in Gibraltar I can confirm that you cannot get a new passport in Gibraltar my friend works for them and she has said that the only way you can re-new in Gibraltar is.
1.you live there and can prove your residence
2.You work there or can get someone to give you an official letter stating that you work there.

We come under number 2 and if you can produce this requirement then the process is quite easy and you can if you pay extra get your passport in the same day.
However your siblings are not covered by this rule and they have to obtain from Madrid.

Rookiekookie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rookiekookie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Brill - that will do me - however I do not need to renew it until 2014 lol
Life is always better with a glass of wine in your hand - and a few bottles in the wine rack !!!

hedonist
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hedonist » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:42 am

OK

I have news

I think everybody is right!!

It does seem that you can get a passport here, (Gibraltar). I have examples of when people have lost their passports up the coast and had renewals done in Gibraltar. I also have been told that you need the residence or the work.. but also that there is no mention of this on the forms!

I have the forms in front of me which are solely the UK ones and given to me by the local office (I didn't pick them up myself)..

So, It seems that you can do the local renew here with a 'Gibraltar' added to the front... as many of my friends have.. or that you can go via this office to get a renewal via Gibraltar to the UK.

I am still seeking absolute information so please don't take all this as gospel!

I did say I would report back my findings... I feel like Sherlock Holmes!

happy days

Passports

Postby happy days » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi,

I can only tell you what we had to do just over two weeks ago my passport had expired and I thought that I could go and get it renewed as it had in fact expired two months ago and I did not realize.
I filled out the required forms and presented myself to the counter I was then asked for proof of residency or employment when I said I did not have either I was told that I could not have my passport renewed there.
I was told that if I had lost my passport and could prove that I had reported it plus present my airline ticket I could get an emergency passport of 12 pages (I think it was 12)
If this was not the case then I needed to either live there or work there as well as this I had to have it signed to verify who I was by someone in authority in Gibraltar.
I left quite upset as I was worried that this would be the day that I would get stopped and have my passport checked and I feared I would be stuck in Gibraltar :cry:
I went to my husband’s office and he said that he would give me a letter stating that I worked for him,so thankfully I did get out of Gibraltar left it a week and returned with my official letter plus my photos signed by a friend who is a director of a company.
RESULT got my passport 3 hrs later I have a friend that works in the back office but I never thought to check with her prior to all of this but have since done and she has confirmed all the above.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:03 pm

happy days said
I went to my husband’s office and he said that he would give me a letter stating that I worked for him,so thankfully I did get out of Gibraltar left it a week and returned with my official letter plus my photos signed by a friend who is a director of a company
So, if I have understood this correctly, you neither live nor work in Gibraltar but, by falsely saying you work there you have, by deceit, obtained a Gibraltar Passport (not a UK one, there is a technical difference)! Hmm. I think you are either bold or naive to publicly announce that on an open site like this! Wonder what the long term prison accommodation is like in Gibraltar! :shock: