does anyone work as a volunteer for the dog rescue?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

does anyone work as a volunteer for the dog rescue?

Postby princess peach » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi,im considering volunteer work for the local doggie rescue home.
Im a little worried about transferring diseases from the rescue dogs to my own dog...
also i suppose i would need a tetanus jab..
Is anyone a volunteer for the dog homes?
I would appreciate any advice you could give me..
Thanks.Peachy.x

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm

think there is a user called P.A.D on here ?

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 pm

I'm sure if you contact the rescue centre you're thinking of then they'll be able to re-assure you. The people who work at the PAWS centre have dogs of their own and some also have foster dogs at home, anyway a good rescue centre will quarantine dogs on arrival and check for any major communicable diseases so I would think the risks are low. Don't forget there are lots of other jobs you can do for them, admin, fund raising, dog walking, publicity or promotion work, maintenance, whatever your skills and whichever centre you choose you'll be very welcome :D

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:50 pm

A friend of mine goes to the local rescue centre at Rincon once a week and takes the dogs out for a walk, after cleaning out their living areas.

She has had no problem with catcing anything. In fact because the dogs are kept in close confinement they have to have all their vaccinations kept up to date, and if any dog is thought to be ill they would be isolated.

They are always looking for volunteers and also people to adopt dogs.

Their website is www.apariv.org.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:26 pm

Blossom, who posts on here, runs a rescue centre.
She's in Coin.
Here's the website
www.animals-in-distress.eu
Last edited by avellana on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:26 pm

I tried it, but found it too distressing. You really have to be able to distance yourself from the dogs which can be difficult. I wanted to take them all home. And the sadder cases just got to me too much.
I did take two rescues, older dogs, sadly lost both of them to old age last year, but they had a happy 4 years with me.
There isn't really anything to be concerned about on the health issues.
You should have tetanus whether or not you work at the rescue centre.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:03 am

Paula, I had the same problem, I used to go along and walk the dogs and I used to cry sometimes it was so sad. I am ashamed to say I couldn't take it. Every single one is so cute, even the ugly ones.

Peach there is also ADANA based in Estepona, they have a charity shop there.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 am

Hi everyone-I have been looking at the local one nearest to where i live and this is it..
http://www.animalinneed.com/

They rescue the dogs from the "killing station"next door.where dogs and puppys of all ages are given 10 days "stay" there and then killed.
As some of you probably know,i lost my bulldog puppy just before christmas,and for some reason-which i cant explain,i feel i have to try and help out.I have always loved dogs and always owned one.
My puppy was so lucky that we did everything for him,and these dogs have no one.
I really wouldnt mind what i did,whether it be walking or cleaning up doggie do...the only reason i wouldnt do this work,is that if it posed any type of risk to my own dog.. :cry:
I will pm the members names that you have given me.I have also emailed the dutch guy who owns the rescue centre with a list of questions,and he hasnt got back to me as yet.
I know for definate that i will get upset like you katy and paula,its only natural when you love dogs.
People are so cruel arnt they.If i can help out a little,im sure it would mean a lot. :)

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:02 am

Katy, don't be ashamed. I used to go home howling some days, husband said it had to stop. Wish I could do it, and I applaud everyone that does.
I'm sure you do the same as me and support them in other ways.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Absolutley nothing to be ashamed of..i dont expect to be able to do it either,especially as im still deeply upset from losing my puppy before christmas,i was even welling up looking at the pictures on the website.but i have to have a go,if i cant manage it,i will find some other way of helping. :wink:

I have just had a reply from the guy who runs the shelter-he said as long as you follow the rules,your dog cannot be infected by any dog problems in the shelter..i suppose general cleanliness would be obvious,maybe they use a special handwash..etc..
Im just waiting for directions now..

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Go for it PP it will be a rewarding experience, albeit heart wrenching. However without people to volunteer to do these things, the lives of these unfortunate animals would not be so rich and full. Makes a whole lot of difference seeing a friendly, loving face, for however short a time it may be. Good Luck

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:07 pm

I admire you pp for trying to help and wanting to do such a difficult job. I know I couldn't do it.

Is it the same one in La Linea that has asked for stuff on Gib Freecycle? because we are actually going to give them some stuff (blankets, towels, newspapers etc).

Regardless, you have a big heart.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:46 am

yes,it is palmtrees,i have been looking for the home for a while now,and i too joined Gibraltar freecycle,and got the same messages,and then found the website...I have emailed the guy and asked for directions,but they are not too clear,I dont suppose you know where abouts it is-what street i have to take etc ???
some of these places down the back streets are like a rabbit warren,and i dont want to get lost,as round atunara its a little bit dodgy :shock:

Its great that you have things to give them...I have a lot of medicine(antibiotics/tablets)that have hardly been touched,my puppy was on such a lot of tablets before he died,the vets here do you human medicines for the dogs,and i thought i would see if they were any use to them...they have good dates on them..so im sure they will use them..I cannot donate blankets as i need them for my other dog-but im sure you will be helping to keep them warm..I dont know if i will be able to do it for long as i know i will be very upset,my hubby has given strict instructions that none are to be brought home :lol: haha..we shall see about that!!! :wink:
If you dont live too far away,perhaps we could meet up and go together...
He has given me the opening hours if you need them..
Peachy.xxx

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Hiya pp

I really can't handle dog shelters :cry: Can't come out without bursting into tears and at least one dog obviously. When we drop off the stuff I'll be sitting in the vehicle - that's if I even go.

But happy to meet anyway. I'll pm you when I'm next coming down to Gib as I'm in the Axarquía right now. I think this might be a long pm somehow... (hot chillies, hot Indians, etc) :roll:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Just watching a programme on TV about PAD´s work in Andalucia, and it showed one dog, which according to the girl working there, had been left by a Brit, that had returned to UK, with another Brit, who himself had later returned to UK. :( I sometimes think that some so called animal lovers, are worse than us that can´t stand dogs. There´s no chance of us having one, and later abandoning it.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:37 pm

I do agree. I can understand people not liking dogs and not having one. It is the people who claim to be dog lovers and then abandon them on a whim. I have seen ads saying they want a home for an 8 year old as they are returning to the UK...as if its an excuse. All my pets have passports and are kept up to date, even the 2 campo cats I took in. The other is they are moving and the landlord does not allow pets...why don't they find somewhere that does :evil:

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:03 am

Could not agree more Katy. Have my animal chap and chapessess and I love them to bits. Just had two of our old guys put to sleep and it nearly killed me, however I wanted them to go with some dignity left. My fluffy girl was 19 and Lucky the feral cat was 18. They had reached that point where they were both so very tired, very deaf, and very blind, and they were loved so much. Took four of us to take them and say goodbye. Heartbreaking, but the last kind gesture would could give them, and with all the love in the world. :cry:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:50 am

we had two staffords in UK-we paid around 1,000 pounds for the two dogs(bought at seperate times-as puppies)I didnt think it was fair to bring them to Spain(one aged two and the other aged 5)-so i found both good homes,one went to live up in the dales,and the other went to a lovely home-a couple who idolised him..
I still get the odd updates on how they are...I didnt/wouldnt charge the people for taking them,i only asked that they were well looked after..and thats what they have done...they are very happy.I was very lucky.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:44 am

palmtrees wrote:
But happy to meet anyway. I'll pm you when I'm next coming down to Gib as I'm in the Axarquía right now. I think this might be a long pm somehow... (hot chillies, hot Indians, etc)
No problems in meeting you either-but would totally understand if you didnt want to..people on forums etc...
I feel the pm would be rather long too,but if you want to save it for our"meeting"we·ll have something to talk about .. :wink:

I totally understand that you wouldnt want to go in to the home,i must admit,im not looking forward to finding it ,let alone going in...i just know im going to be so upset...those poor doggies.. :cry:

gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gente » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:37 pm

There's no need to be sad when you go to some rescue centre/homes here, The dogs in the rescue centre are the lucky ones, If a dog is lucky enough to make it to Pad They are well taken care of,vaccinated ,micro-chipped,the vet visits almost daily to check on the dogs , they have warm blankets, regular feed times , dedicated dog walkers who give them treats and daily walks and a bit of love, a pad dog has a home for life with pad if necessary and they never put a healthy dog down,Pad last year homed over 1000 cats and dogs. They always could do with extra dog walkers and once you get over the initial enthusiasm of the dogs which can be a bit overwhelming, it is such a rewarding thing to do you get to know all the different characters and you can also see how sometimes in a relatively short space of time even the most badly treated dog responds to a bit of care and attention. Do feel sorry though for the 200 dogs in Malaga province that get put to sleep every week and have not been lucky enough to make it to the rescue shelters

Rocky pad dog enjoying himself in Finland

Katy traded in the streets for a sofa

www.padcatsanddogs.org/index.htm

This is a link to the pad website