Towbar Required

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Towbar Required

Postby Peter » Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm

Anybody know where I can get a towbar supplied and fitted to my Toyota outside of a Main Toyota Dealership ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 22, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi Peter
You don't say where in Spain, assuming you live in Spain, that you live.
Difficult to suggest somewhere other than an independent garage, particularly the ones you find on the local industrial estates.
You will need to get the tow bar added to your technica fica, assuming it is a Spanish registered car.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Peter » Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Good Point, yes I live in Spain, anywhere in Andalucia.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:06 pm

This place is at La Cala and if your spanish is not up too much the guy speaks excellent english http://www.remolquescarro.es/index_eng.htm
Don't know about prices, or what to compare them with, but I bought my trailer from them and it was a very good price compared to others so it should follow that the towbar/fitting prices should be good.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi

Andalucia is a large province, East West or where - try a town name. There are several towbar places around the Cadiz area

Dave

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Peter » Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 am

Cadiz is a large town ! Need to be more specific.

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Fri May 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Peter wrote:Cadiz is a large town ! Need to be more specific.
Peter, I think Dave is asking you, where you live or which is your nearest town. If you are in Cádiz then maybe he can recommend somewhere specific. I had my tow-bar fitted in Chiclana, but that is no use if you live in Malaga. :roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri May 23, 2008 10:18 pm

You need to have the tow bar fitted, get the paperwork completed by the garage that did it and then make an appt at ITV and take that and the spec of the towbar to the nearest ITV. They will inspect the installation and tow bar and then add the tow bar to the original ficha of the car.

Its easier to get this done by a main dealership in my opinion.........as they know what is allowed for their vehicle type by ITV.....

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Peter » Sat May 24, 2008 5:55 am

It is a UK plated car.

dxf
Resident

towbar

Postby dxf » Sat May 24, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Peter,

You have mised the point. it makes no difference where in the world your car is registered, if you want it to be legal here with a legal towbar, then you will need Spanish doumentation for the towbar. In itself not a problem normally, but there are several places in each large city where towbars can be fitted.

Please let us know your nearest large town / city. I reckon it takes some 8 hours to drive from one side of Andalucia to the other.

Dave

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Peter » Sat May 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Sorry DXF but I do not need any Spanish documentation for a UK plated car, I only need to carry all relevant UK documentation.[/i]

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun May 25, 2008 11:57 am

Hi Peter,

If you live here then it is actually illegal to drive anything but a spanish plated car. If you get stopped then I suggest you say that you are on holiday.
So in answer to your original question, anywhere that sells trailers will fit you a towbar and you only need to keep the documentation for whenever you decide to go legal and rematriculate.
Dave

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Sun May 25, 2008 3:56 pm

That's okay but, if you live here, you are not likely to be insured if you have an accident, even if you still have your UK insurance. It is not normally valid for more than 6 months outside the uk.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 25, 2008 5:48 pm

A Spanish trailer retailer who obeys the law will sell you a trailer, take your money, then hold the trailer until you produce a valid Spanish registration number for the tow-car, so they can register the trailer to you. If you care to run around with an illegal unregistered trailer, attached to an illegal untestable Brit-registered car being operated by a resident of Spain, with an untestable and unregisterable towbar, then please post here if ever you are rammed by another car, when you will stand no chance of claiming off them, plus if Trafico get involved, will probably have your car impounded on the spot until you legalise the situation, leaving you with a bag of problems that are easily avoided by doing what you should do. Read the motoring column in this week's CDS News. :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am

Well said PR - it will also leave you liable to being sued if anyone else is injured or affected. Over here a british driver in a british car was in an accident, insurance company found out he was not complying with the law, result: no cover. He lost his house paying out on the other driver´s legitimate claim (as the brit was at fault).