English TV

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
debbie2525
Andalucia.com Amigo

English TV

Postby debbie2525 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Who, if they were honest would live here in sunny Spain if you could not watch english TV. I do like to watch Spanish TV for the weather and news but on the whole it is quite poor and i do believe i would struggle with my regular fix of the soaps!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:18 pm

When I first came to live in Spain there was no English TV or radio whatsoever just BBC World Service radio coming and going through the atmospherics.

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 pm

I am here 4 years now and dont have english tv , well apart from eurosport and cnn. Dont miss it at all. Mind you have loads of dvds that we have bought and watch them in winter.

I used to be a soap fanatic and when I go back home to visit I love catching up with them. :wink:

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:19 pm

I do not watch much TV at all, too busy doing other things...But...I did try to manage with just Spanish TV only the never-ending ads drove me mad :x In the end we invested effort into installing a huge satelite dish and now have a choice of both English and Spanish which is much better :D
Life is 'ard den you die!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:06 pm

Don't have any sort of TV here in Spain. Gave up having one in the UK about eight years ago. STILL get threatening letters from the TV Licence Dept. Hilarious!!!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:19 pm

When we first moved here, we went a year without english tv.
When we never had it, we didn´t miss it.
As soon as we got round to having it installed, i was straight back into my soaps and hubby into the footie. :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Lavanda wrote:Don't have any sort of TV here in Spain. Gave up having one in the UK about eight years ago. STILL get threatening letters from the TV Licence Dept. Hilarious!!!
I grew up in a TV-free household after my Mum refused to replace the old B&W TV when it blew up in about 1976. She still doesn't have TV now, more than 30 years on and also gets threatening letters from the TV licensing people...apparently they are unable to believe that, in this day and age, anyone would choose not to have TV and they say the onus is on her to prove that she doesn't have a TV!
Personally I could live without it here but would certainly miss the radio if it wasn't available.

julian
Andalucia Guru

tv

Postby julian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:05 pm

21 years here now with no english tv, I think the big difference is that when living in the UK life is based on being inside and hence needing a lot of tv, here my life is much more based on being outside , so I see very little tv, mainly sport .

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:12 pm

can you not get all your faves on the internet now?

never tried it as i have everything including an albanian *beep* channel
that norman wisdom.....
jayne countys most famous song,google it

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 am

I think if i lived here in Spain with out T.V then i would be living with out my wife too?? know there's a thought, he he he

julian
Andalucia Guru

tv

Postby julian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 am

do you have a tv for sale ken?

ken2
Resident

Re: tv

Postby ken2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am

julian wrote:do you have a tv for sale ken?

nar !!!! but does anyone want two wives???

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 pm

frog wrote:can you not get all your faves on the internet now?
Not for 1GB a month I can´t!!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 pm

...and you can only do that within the UK anyway.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Not for 1GB a month I can´t!!
If it is the popular soaps you are talking about, yes you can :wink:

http://www.britbox.co.uk/

I catch Top Gear on there if I have missed it or an episode, the other soaps you can keep, never watched them in the UK and have no intention of watching them here :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 am

I lived here before UKTV days and I can't remember really missing anything. Never followed the soaps as I always missed too many to catch up. Hooked on Dallas and Dynasty when young :) However, now I have it I wouldn't like to be without SKY.

I am now a avid viewer of Corrie! A Friend appeared in it for a few years and I started to watch it, she is long gone but I am into it now (even though it is naff and I think it is rubbish) :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

tv

Postby julian » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:27 am

do you remember the good old days here when all we could get was Gib TV, the live shows were so bad that it was actually quite entertaining.

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 am

Went 3 yrs without it then got it for the childrens channels, then moved left the dish at the last house, then tried 10 months without it and gave in during the summer school hols as little one was watching the rubbish spanish Clan TV for kids and would rather a little more educational Cbeebies. All in all, with a kid I gave in and got it.

Not having it really improves my spanish. Mind you with the free digital channels on spanish TV I discovered the option of converting a number of the channels to the original version which is more often than not english. The Sony channel is great for that as the serials they have on in the evening are quite fun.

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 am

Sounds interesting, yummymummy (great name!). Can you give some detail on how to do that please?

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Mijasmagic

You need to have the spanish digi box (some of the new TV´s have it already built in called TDT - which I am guessing means terrestial digital tv). Then simply go to digital set up and audio - language and see if it gives you the option to change the language. Mine tends to work with the Sony channel, canal quatro, tve2, sometimes with Antenna 3 and a few others. If there is a program on that I like and I know is dubbed from english then chances are you can get it in english. Definitely need to have Digital as it won´t work with Analog...

Good luck ...