laptops and easyjet

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

laptops and easyjet

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Im considering purchasing a laptop when i go back to UK.are you allowed to take it back onboard the aircraft or does it go in the hold?
flying via easyjet.
The reason i ask is because a spanish friend of mine just recently flew via spanish airlines and was told it had to be put in the hold not in the cabin.He never saw it again..it was brand new. :(

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: laptops and easyjet

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi PP,
No problem if you go by everyones "favourite" airline, you just have to take it out of your carry on bag thru security.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Think I read on here recently, that Easyjet were really strict with the 1 piece of hand luggage.
Might have to take your lippy out of your handbag and put that in the hold. Pop your lippy in your laptop case :wink:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi,
Came across this link, don't know why its got an old date

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/latest_h ... tions.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 pm

It's ok. but they won't allow you a handbag as well.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:16 pm

thanks K.we only usually have one piece of hand luggage anyway,filled with sweets and crisps to keep the son happy and hyperactive all day :lol: so lipstick wont be a problem. :wink:
I suppose i could double check with them on the way into UK that its o.k to carry a laptop in the hold on the plane back... :?
oh god,they do like to complicate things dont they Katy!..i will just have to fit everything into one piece of hand luggage then :D ..

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

on the way over recently they threw a wobbley about my "mini suitcase" even tho it measured to their sizes it wouldn´t fit in their thingy.. so she said i had to leave it there at the gate (i wasn´t alone) ...

i left it, but took my lappy out and took it on with me. they seemed ok with that.

i got my case fine at the other end.

my advice.. take a SMALL bag for hand luggage, and take the lappy thru as hand luggage.

done the same agp-mad-rom-sci and back ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm

And for Christ sake don't put this as your screensaver :shock:

http://boortz.com/mp3/archive/countdown.swf
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:36 pm

princess peach wrote:.... that its o.k to carry a laptop in the hold on the plane back... :?
Never, ever do that.

For a start, have you seen the contempt that baggage is handled with? If it's possible for the ground crew (note: they're not Easy-jet or R/A staff, they are employed by the airport) to throw your bag down a 10 foot drop, they will. It will almost certainly get kicked around, thrown around and possibly even fall off the truck that takes it to the plane - which I've seen happen: bags all over the tarmac.

Nextly, laptops are extremely desirable, and more importantly, easy to turn into cash. If your bag was to "accidentally" burst open, or someow get unlocked ("yes, ma'am: random security check") you might as welll say goodbye to your new lappy, and anything else you had in the bag.

Finally, it hurts everyone else who travels, here's why. If your laptop does get nicked, then it increases the likelyhood that the baddies will go through more people's bags in ther hope of finding more good stuff. In effect you'll have rewarded their dishonesty and encouraged them to steal from even more people. This is exactly the reason that courier companies will specifically prohibt a person (any person) from sending cash in one of their letters. It's not because of money-laundering regulations (although those are important, too). If you don't believe me, look up the Fed-Ex t's & c's for express letters.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

DA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peachy we will hold you responsible......

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 pm

suppose i could double check with them on the way into UK that its o.k to carry a laptop in the hold on the plane back...
oh im sorry guys my mistake,i meant to say carry a laptop in the cabin on the way back NOT the hold :oops:
thanks pete_l for all your advice.
My friend was told he HAD to put his laptop in the hold,otherwise he wouldnt be able to take it..the crew that take your luggage demanded he put it in,even tho he flew into spain with it in the cabin(wasnt easyjet) :roll:

:lol: love the link DA..that would cause mayhem wouldnt it... :?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 pm

We have flown back regularly with a laptop. We have it in a bag and just take it out at the xray machine and put it through separately. Never a problem. like others have said - don't put it in your suitcase. We have had quite a lot stolen out of our suitcases at Malaga airport.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:13 pm

And make sure there is space for everything else, laptop, handbag and duty free included, in your one, correct size on-board bag......

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:15 pm

there will be three of us,so i think we will be o.k spreading all the goods out..as for duty free,there wont be any..so thatll leave a bag spare :D