Books

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
bunty
Resident

Books

Postby bunty » Fri May 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Would be so pleased if anyone could recommend any good novels.I am running out of books and really don't know which ones to order on the internet.I pefere crime but don't mind anything really if it is a good read.Find it so difficult to choose which book to order when I just see a list..Mind you am so pleased with the modern day technology which allows ordering over the internet..Long gone are the days that the only English that I could read was from the Time mag....

quebin
Resident

Re: Books

Postby quebin » Fri May 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Don't know where you are but there are second hand book shops in Nerja(Calle Granada) and Torre Del Mar(opposite the Thursday market car park)

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri May 20, 2011 2:56 pm

I enjoy the Donna Leon and Andrea Camilleri series of books...detective novels set in Venice and Sicily respectively.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri May 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi bunty,
If you have any "English" shops near you .........some run lending service for a few euro/free.

Patricia Cornwell http://www.patriciacornwell.com The Scarpetta Series

Karin Slaughter http://www.karinslaughter.com The Will Trent Series
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri May 20, 2011 3:52 pm

I have bags full of tripe that my lady wife has read, gave a load to the British legion and still have dozens to give away gratis.

Mhic.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri May 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Bunty,
If you like crime novels have a look at Ian Rankin who wrote the Inspector Rebus novels set mainly in Edinburgh. He also writes under the pen name Jack Harvey.
I tend to get a lot of books from charity shops (Cudeca, CHAIN animal charity or €0.50/€1 but I do use Amazon for something I really want to read and can't be bothered waiting for it to turn up somewhere down here.
Ann

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri May 20, 2011 4:25 pm

I've used awesomebooks.

Some of the used books were pretty ropey but cost less than the second hand bookshop in Nerja charges.

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Fri May 20, 2011 5:03 pm

James Lee Burke, Paolo Coelho, Robin Cook and Frederick Forsyth among a host of others all work for me, John Irving's a waste of time (literally) Stephen Fry's a genius !!

I enjoyed the first two Anthony Bourdain books but the latest one "medium raw" is ****, he's just rehashing what he did with the first two.

I'm now reading (concurrently) "Gidoens spies" Gordon Thomas and "D-Day" the battle for Normandy Anthony Beevor who in my opinion is probably the best literary historian writing today.

If you want something to put you to sleep quickly I suggest you get a copy of The history of the decline and fall of the Roman empire by Edward Gibbon :yawn:

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Fri May 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Try Googling

"Kathy Reichs"

and

"Vince Flynn"
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Fri May 20, 2011 6:28 pm

A couple of others you may wish to consider

"Iris Johansen"

"Lisa Scotoline"
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Try the Javier Falcon novels by Robert Wilson. He's a spanish detective and they are all set in Seville. The first one is The Blind Man of Seville.
I can spell but I can't type

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 20, 2011 7:30 pm

I really enjoyed the Javier Falcon books, too.

Some of my favourite crime/thriller authors are Jeffery Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman and Peter Robinson.

A friend has just lent me 4 books by Jo Nesbo, a Scandinavian writer and I am enjoying the first one. I didn't get on with the Stieg Larsson trilogy at all, though, in spite of most people raving about them.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri May 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Peter James (Roy Grace series) are enjoyable if you like crime, and Mo Hayder (though a bit scarey :shock: )
I didn't like the Larrson trilogy either, even though at one time it seemed as though 50% of passengers on a flight were reading them :lolno:

Kate Atkinson books are good too.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Fri May 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you so much for your replies....have plenty of books to look up now.
annfoto,I agree that Ian Rankin is great,have read all his books including one specially dedicated to me,acquired by a daughter who works in Edinburgh!
Free at last,I also didn't like the books by Stieg Larson, but I will try one by Jo Nesbo.
I think I have read most of the books by Robin Cook, Peter Robinson and Karin Slaughter and enjoyed them.
The ones suggested by Javier Falcon also look interesting ..
I live in Granada city so not much choice in second-hand English books.I do read Spanish novels but haven't found any authors that I enjoy.The same goes for American authors so it must be a cultural thing!
Once again thanks so much to all of you who have replied,
bunty

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

I have just read Ladykiller by MartinaCole, really enjoyed it.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri May 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Bunty, I love crime novels also, especially ones using forensics. I reckon by now I could perform a full autopsy :lol:

I've watched 'Vera' over the last few Sundays, and loved the setting, in coastal Northumberland, my original neck of the woods. The series is based on novels by Ann Cleeves, so I'm going to try and get some of her books as I'd never heard of her before.

The Javier novels by Robert Wilson are absolutely brilliant, his descriptions of Seville, the food etc make you feel you are there with him, and they have a great twist to them.

Micheal Connelly is quite good but to be honest I prefer U.K. crime writers to American ones.
Especially when there's been a murrrrder :D
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sat May 21, 2011 12:07 pm

I like Henning Mankell, Robert Goddard, Jesse Kellerman, Minette Walters and Susan Hill, to name but a few.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley books

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat May 21, 2011 12:48 pm

avellana wrote:I like Henning Mankell, Robert Goddard, Jesse Kellerman, Minette Walters and Susan Hill, to name but a few.
Add in Michael Connelly, John Connolly, Simon Kernick (Lee Child on speed), Dennis Lehane, Jeffery Deaver etc.
Dave

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Do you get the TV program "Bones"? They are based on the characters created by Kathy Reichs.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada