Spain calls early general election

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Spain calls early general election

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:22 pm

My awareness of the unemployment situation in Spain is based on news reports, discussion with my (Spanish) friends and neighbours, on my own observations within my village and on the occasions when I have been to the employment office in a nearby town with a couple of (Spanish) friends who had to do the equivalent of "signing on".

Having read, with great interest, all the comments made on this topic, I realise that the unemployment benefit system in Spain is far more complicated than I thought it was. Can anyone explain how it works please?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Your friends will have received benefit within a couple of weeks of their claim based on their earnings
you continue to get it for about 18 months or if you are self employed 3 months.
To be entitled to it in the first place you will have had to pay social security for a certain period of time

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:44 pm

If Unemployment Benefit is only paid for a specific period, what happens to people at the end of that time (assuming they are genuinely not working)? People, especially with young families, surely can't be left to starve. The people I know who claim don't seem to be living on the breadline.

I thought Spain was very generous with its social security payouts. I was very surprised recently to discover that a couple of my friends in the village receive state retirement pensions three times greater than the state retirement pension that I get from the UK and I paid National Insurance for more years than either of them ever paid.

Interestingly I find that Spanish people are still convinced that all British people are rich and have far more money to throw around than they have. They think my sense of economy is because I am eccentric and not because I have a limited income!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Mariacristina wrote:If Unemployment Benefit is only paid for a specific period, what happens to people at the end of that time (assuming they are genuinely not working)? People, especially with young families, surely can't be left to starve. The people I know who claim don't seem to be living on the breadline.

They queue up at church charities for a packet of rice, magarine, long life milk etc. surely you have seen them on the news. Others rely on extended family.

I thought Spain was very generous with its social security payouts. I was very surprised recently to discover that a couple of my friends in the village receive state retirement pensions three times greater than the state retirement pension that I get from the UK and I paid National Insurance for more years than either of them ever paid.

They are bucking the trend, statistical averages sound ok. but in reality a newspaper survey was unable to find anyone in málaga receiving more than 500pm. Suppose the funcionarios knock up the average! I am suprised your friends are so forthcoming about their pension. Most spaniards, including my relatives guard this info' next to their heart :lol:

Interestingly I find that Spanish people are still convinced that all British people are rich and have far more money to throw around than they have. They think my sense of economy is because I am eccentric and not because I have a limited income!
Yes they do, that's why they have no conscience about overcharging for jobs

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 pm

There doesn't seem to be much electioneering going on according to the media. Perhaps all the parties are on holiday and will start September. Seen all the trouble in the puerto del sol which has worsened because of the Pope's visit. Lot of agendas out there.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:09 pm

the trouble has worsened because of the pope´s visit, the trouble is specifically about the pope´s visit.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Not sure either party want to win under the current circumstances. European stock markets in total meltdown today, the euro is in some serious danger of collapsing, America is going back into recession and is ungovernable at the moment.
Things are moving so fast now that I have a feeling there maybe a coalition government to rule a crisis government :|
Ann