Spain calls early general election

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
annfoto
Resident

Spain calls early general election

Postby annfoto » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Zpatero has called for parliament to be dissolved on September 26 and a general election to be held on November 20.
Zapatero of course is not standing for re-election Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba is the official PSOE candidate and Rajoy the PP candidate.
Most seem to think that the PP will win with a clear margin but I am not so sure :think:
Ann

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spain calls early general election

Postby Mowser » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Maybe one of the parties will reverse the smoking ban and lower the price of ciggies.
Can't see it somehow.
Dave

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Just as well all the British smokers cant vote then!! :lolno:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Its because Rubalcaba is picking up "votes" (according to polls anyway) and some PSOE statistician has worked out that by November they may stand a fighting chance against PP - we have to hope for our sanity that the PP get in at Andalucia Region and ideally on a national level as well........

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 am

we have to hope for our sanity that the PP get in at Andalucia Region
Why?
Dave

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:36 am

As a friend of mine once said "same *beep* different smell".

Mhic.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:16 pm

"some PSOE statistician has worked out that by November they may stand a fighting chance against PP - we have to hope for our sanity that the PP get in at Andalucia Region and ideally on a national level as well"

for the moment it looks as if we won´t know till march if the PP get in at andalucia region.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:54 pm

julian wrote: for the moment it looks as if we won´t know till march if the PP get in at andalucia region.
True but the last poll I saw gives them a 14% lead - enough for an overall majority.

We will have to wait and see.

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 pm

If the PP get in, will they grasp the nettle of the housing crisis and move things forward, either nationally or regionally?
I do so hope that they will, as the PSOE do look set to lose. They have done a Gordon Brown type job on the Spanish economy, when the new government get in, they will have such a mess to sort out. The PSOE will have been covering up the real scale of the debt to try to keep the credit ratings up, the new government will have to make painful cuts, or we are going the way of Greece.

I'm pleased to see that Mowser has the important things in mind, politically, such as having a fag. :roll:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm pleased to see that Mowser has the important things in mind, politically, such as having a fag
Given we don't have vote ... what else is there to do but wish?
Dave

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm

Actually I find that "having a fag" helps me ponder and contemplate on complex political or economic arguments :thumbup:

"The PSOE will have been covering up the real scale of the debt to try to keep the credit ratings up"

The scale of the debt is well known to all the ratings agencies, the ECB and the IMF. The IMF published their latest analysis on Friday. They recommended that the government increase VAT and fuel duty plus further reduce the cost of public sector pay as soon as possible.
We live in interesting times and I suspect things will come to a head long before the November elections
Ann

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:20 pm

annfoto wrote: The IMF published their latest analysis on Friday. They recommended that the government increase VAT and fuel duty

Well that will just about finish off the haulage industry , transporting produce. Only the large companies tied to the supemarkets will be able to increase their charges & the smaller ones will all be parked up.
Todos somos Lorca.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 pm

"If the PP get in, will they grasp the nettle of the housing crisis and move things forward, either nationally or regionally"

many of the present housing crisis problems have their roots in the last time the PP were in power.

nearly all countries that have had general elections since the crisis began have thrown the ruling party out.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Mowser has a point, I have no vote, will just have to be a spectator, but I might be a rowdy one!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am

So the regional elections will still be in March but the national one brought forward to November?

The PP seem to be the party with the biggest grip on reality and thus far more likely to genuinely resolve the planning blight and illegal house situation, there is ample evidence to demonstrate this, whereas the PSOE still seem very anti foreigner and just looking to scam more money out of us without providing any real property rights or resolutions to those affected.....

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 am

The PP seem to be the party with the biggest grip on reality and thus far more likely to genuinely resolve the planning blight and illegal house situation
But it was the parties in power in the town halls who were the main culprits. It's the same as in the UK. If you have a housing problem you approach the local government - not the national one.
I can't see that PP will make one whit of a difference. Given that we "foreigners" don't have a vote in national elections, why should they bother to court us?
Dave

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 am

White Horse wrote: the PSOE do look set to lose. :
Thankyou, thaankyou, thankyou White Horse - first poster for ages who does not think 'lose' has two 'o's!!! :clap:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 am

Thankyou, thaankyou, thankyou White Horse - first poster for ages who does not think 'lose' has two 'o's!!!
Why do you join "thankyou" together?
Why spell thank "thaank"?
Dave

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 am

Dave - I must have been overcome at the rare sight of a correct 'lose'! I used the noun spelling of 'thankyou' when it should have been the verb form - 'thank you' and the extra 'a' was my dyslexic keyboard!
Now if only everyone took as much care as you in pointing out errors we pedants might get somewhere - no more "I should of" for example.
Glad you are there on my side.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:24 pm

As a sometime former teacher I am pleased to see the finer points of English grammar being discussed here. I am, however, joining in this discussion because I am interested in the political situation and I do vote here. Before the recent local elections I attended every political party meeting that was held in our village and the speakers at all of them seemed to be intent on belittling the other parties rather than making any practical proposals for dealing with the current potentially disastrous situation. My Spanish neighbours have very definite ideas about who one should vote for without being able to explain the different policies proposed by the different parties. So....why will voting for PP benefit our sanity? It seems to me that most "western" countries have been living on borrowed money for far too long and, like it or not, it's payback time.