Britain referendum now

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Britain referendum now

Postby frank » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 am

Devils Advocate wrote:The bent cucumber ruling was certainly no myth, why do you say it was? It won't take much googling for you to see for yourself. Yes they did have to back pedal and abolish the gem of an idea but it did happen.
To be fair, they have come up with some great rules though! :D
Whistle blowers, that scroll out into a a long colored paper tongue when sounded – have now been classified as unsafe for all children under 14. Seriously? Children at the age of 14 are having sex already, but they are not allowed to use whistle blowers?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:41 am

anis wrote: and how we let our commonwealth partners down too.
Little had been said about in the news afterwards about that, but the ordinary Australian or New Zealand Joe would tell you sadly to your face, how they felt betrayed and abandoned. It has happened to us on numerous occasions on our travels since. It would have been difficult but we always felt we should have stayed with them and built the family trade up further - the days of container ships and refrigeration had made that possible.
:(
Anis I so agree. The potential to create a huge Commonwealth trading area was thrown away. People in the Caribbean say the same. Large fruit and banana and sugar plantations all deserted because most of these now come from French companies in S. America. They were sold down the river. I have noticed recently though that produce from outside Europe is appearing in the supermarkets. eg.green beans from Kenya, cheaper and better than europe.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:56 am

Devils Advocate wrote:
And the next time one of those stupid warning lights comes on the dashboard of your car and the nice man at the garage wants 100 quid to switch it off, or your car goes into "limp mode" or you are forced to pay for new lamda sensors or air flow meters at great expense...............well that's soley down to the EU too :evil: ............they have tampered with so many things with no benefits for the people you forget just how much they have ballsed up :thumbdown:
I know what you mean :evil: I find all these stupid warning lights and sounds distracting when driving. Why is it Europes fault though :think:

Saw this morning that Australia is calling for some European Airbus models to be grounded worldwide as cracks hae been found in the wings. There have been a few unexplained crashes with Airbus and all seem to have been the highly computerised instrument system getting confused. Perhaps another example of a rag bag of European countries getting involved!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Cucumber rule was scrapped. It was supposed to get a kind of class system for pricing.
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Hiya Katy, since the nineties European/UK cars have been running to emission specs. laid out by the EU.Thus being EU2, EU3, currently EU4....you can guess what EU stands for :roll:

The management systems are designed with these often foolish and supposedly eco friendly fail safe warnings to make sure our cars pump out no nasties. Thing is as cars improved the Hydrocarbons and Co2 contents produced were already on the wane..as Top Gear proved many years ago when it was a sensible programme..........a 6 litre Merc chucked zero HCs out.

Anyhow all these probes/sensors/lights are all tied in with this.....thank heavens here in the UK there is still the opportunity to bypass this stupid non sensical set of rules governing engine management and we can still build flame spitting brutes and register them legally.

Just one quick example. Old chap near us who is a client of OH's. He went in to alter his will and told her he'd been having problems with a car he'd recently bought. I called him to see if I could offer any help or advice as he's a smashing old bloke.

Car was a 15 month old.............15 months :evil: ..Toyota Diesel saloon running EU4 management. Car would stop for no reason at times, other times it would be limited to 30mph and belching smoke (great for the enviorenment eh?).................anyhow long story cut short, a gizmo fitted inside the exhaust and even I don't know what it's supposed to do had gone t1ts up...............5k,yes 5k Toyota say replacing it will cost him....it's also deemed a "consumable" so not covered in the warantee................bloody disgrace and all in the name of EU emission laws believe it or not........totally un-needed, car is unsaleable..........and breathe :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks for that, interesting...we know nowt about cars :oops:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Hiya Katy, since the nineties European/UK cars have been running to emission specs. laid out by the EU.Thus being EU2, EU3, currently EU4....you can guess what EU stands for :roll:

The management systems are designed with these often foolish and supposedly eco friendly fail safe warnings to make sure our cars pump out no nasties. Thing is as cars improved the Hydrocarbons and Co2 contents produced were already on the wane..as Top Gear proved many years ago when it was a sensible programme..........a 6 litre Merc chucked zero HCs out.

Anyhow all these probes/sensors/lights are all tied in with this.....thank heavens here in the UK there is still the opportunity to bypass this stupid non sensical set of rules governing engine management and we can still build flame spitting brutes and register them legally.

Just one quick example. Old chap near us who is a client of OH's. He went in to alter his will and told her he'd been having problems with a car he'd recently bought. I called him to see if I could offer any help or advice as he's a smashing old bloke.

Car was a 15 month old.............15 months :evil: ..Toyota Diesel saloon running EU4 management. Car would stop for no reason at times, other times it would be limited to 30mph and belching smoke (great for the enviorenment eh?).................anyhow long story cut short, a gizmo fitted inside the exhaust and even I don't know what it's supposed to do had gone t1ts up...............5k,yes 5k Toyota say replacing it will cost him....it's also deemed a "consumable" so not covered in the warantee................bloody disgrace and all in the name of EU emission laws believe it or not........totally un-needed, car is unsaleable..........and breathe :mrgreen:
That sounds like the dpc. it's a problem , especially with older people who only use the car for short journeys, doesn't get up to temp; etc . in cases like that they need flogging down the motorway once a week to keep them working. It's cheaper to have it binned.
http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/blog/tag/toyo ... ems-fixed/
Todos somos Lorca.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Another daft regulation out of Brussels...Pearl light bulbs cannot be manufactured anymore. I have been looking to buy a few. We have four 8 armed light fittings with pearl candle bulbs. Just over a month ago one popped and since then I have been half heartedly looking to buy some. We bought these fittings at some expense from the house seller, they go with the period and I don't want clear ones. Looked online at doing a bulk order and there is such a vast array of different types, bayonet large and small, screw the same, so not sure which is our size :crazy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -year.html