Young man from Coín murdered in Bournmouth

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
annfoto
Resident

Young man from Coín murdered in Bournmouth

Postby annfoto » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:01 pm

A 23 year old was brutally murdered in Bournmouth yesterday, his English flatmate has been arrested.
Sergio Marquez Retamar, who was an only child, had gone to the UK to work and learn English.
What makes this even more tragic is that the last young Coíneña murdered 9 years ago at the August feria was also killed by an Englishman.
I am not English but however I am British and I am thoroughly ashamed.
I feel for that poor family. :(
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Young man from Coín murdered in Bournmouth

Postby katy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Very sad but lets not get OTT there are murders all over the world. Wonder how many Brits get killed abroad in a year, a lot I would think. Lets not turn it into an international incident :|

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Terrible, the family said goodbye to their son, expecting him to have a good time, and then to have him butchered by his flatmate. There are some wicked folk about. :thumbdown:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:57 pm

The Andalucia.com forums are intended for those looking for information or resources in Andalucia and Southern Spain
Sorry, don't think this fits, so could not possibly comment.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:23 pm

White Horse,
Coín is a very small town, current population is about 18,000 of which possibly 1,000 are Brits.
When that young girl was murdered by an Englishman from AEG 9 years ago there was a tension or 'atmosphere' in the air. There has been a couple of murders since then but not of Coiñas they were foreigners murdered by foreigners and believed to be drug related.
Katy,
I am not trying turn it into an international incident, I am merely concerned that some locals may not be quite so friendly - I hope not, I haven't been out today.
Last edited by annfoto on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't see how they could blame a whole nationality for the crime. It wasn't a random attack on a spaniard, they were known to each other and were possibly flatmates, not a race thing. Here is what one spaniard said in Sur

ElBairdoCerrar
Este crimen no demuestra que Inglaterra es más peligroso que otros paises. Solo demuestra que la barbarie existe en todas partes.

This crime does not demonstrate that England is more dangerous than other countries. Only shows that there is barbarity/violence everywhere.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Annfoto write,

There has been a couple of murders since then but only of foreigners by foreigners.

What sort of comment is that?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 pm

costakid wrote:Annfoto write,

There has been a couple of murders since then but only of foreigners by foreigners.

What sort of comment is that?
I take your point - badly put. I have now edited it to:
There has been a couple of murders since then but not of Coiñas they were foreigners murdered by foreigners and believed to be drug related.

Katy
That is a very nicely balanced reader's quote from sur however some that I read this morning were very ugly but they have since been removed.
Ann

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 pm

This is how the local Bournemouth Echo is handling the story. I lived near Bournemouth and we don't like this sort of thing regardless of any Nationality issues!

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9 ... ez/?ref=eb

Seemed like a nice lad, great shame!

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:01 pm

I felt ashamed walking round Coín this morning. I met a couple of friends who told me they felt that way also, the locals perhaps sensed that and seemed to go out of their way to be even friendlier than usual.
By all accounts he was a very nice young man. The Mayor is going to arrange a day of mourning for the town when his body is repatriated.
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 pm

I don't understand why anyone should feel ashamed when they have nothing to do with it. Pity yes but these things happen everywhere and he was unlucky enough to meet a nutter out of millions of decent people in the UK. Foreigners and druggies have turned Bournemouth into a problem town, you only have to walk around for an hour to pick up on it and there is an incident every weekend on Southern TV.

Problem is with Coín they have had so much British riff-raffe there that they already hated the Brits before this.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:56 pm

That is the trouble, everyone gets tarred with the same brush :thumbdown:
How many decent folk live in Bournemouth to how many nasty folk? Same with Brits in Coin, not that I have been there, but I bet there are more decent Brits than nasty ones, folk only see the bad side.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Problem is with Coín they have had so much British riff-raffe there that they already hated the Brits before this
You have never actually been to Coín have you? :crazy:
We chose to live in Coín over 10 years ago and unless we are very deluded the locals do not hate the British then or now. There will always be some problem families but they are very much the minority
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Lots of times, we have friends there, been trying to sell for about 3 years. One place there is called Coronation st. I didn't say all Brits were RR just that the place had more than it's fair share a bit the same as Bournemouth which has a lot of decent people too.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Reading the reports, there's a bit of an elephant in the room.
No-one deserves to be stabbed and have their head cut off, mind you.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:53 am

by White Horse on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Reading the reports, there's a bit of an elephant in the room
In which case please post or PM me
Ann

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am

No matter what spin you put on this story, it's sad. I can only imagine how his parents are feeling.My son's,who is almost 19, is travelling by car to Portugal with his friends. It's his first big trip of this type and I can't stop worrying.

Most kids benefit from these experiences.However, a small percentage will end in a tragedy.

I can understand both Katy's and Ann's point of view. Nobody is to blame for this except the other boy who committed the crime.
On the other hand, feeling ashmamed for your coutryman's action for some is only natural, epecially when you live in victim's community, even if it is a little illogical because you can't be blamed for every English person's actions

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:35 am

I have never read of anyone being described as being English the race is not recognised or used by the British Press at all.

How can anyone be sure of the murderers ethnicity at this stage?

Maybe he is British when in that case he could be from anywhere judging from all the British passport holders queuing to pass through the chipped passport lanes at UK airports.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:10 pm

annfoto wrote:In which case please post or PM me
It seems quite clear that the suspect was already known to the police and is now in a secure unit. This is a case of mental illness, mad or bad?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:02 pm

by White Horse on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:10 pm

It seems quite clear that the suspect was already known to the police and is now in a secure unit. This is a case of mental illness, mad or bad?
It is bad in that it is yet another example of the failure of the English National Health Service's policy of relying on medication to keep the public safe from psychopaths. :(
by Bongtrees on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:35 pm

I have never read of anyone being described as being English
:wtf:
English is an adjective and describes someone from England. I often get asked down here if I am English, I am not going to confuse them by saying "No, I am British" , they do however understand that Scottish is not English!
Ann