UKIP looking ok :)

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: UKIP looking ok :)

Postby markwilding » Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 am

Lavanda wrote:Come up here Olive. Everyone thinks Spain's problems have been created by the EU as, instead of developing sustainable industries and balancing the economic books, Spain has relied on EU money and become a client state. It's a bit like being dependent on benefits and, eventually, losing all initiative, ambition and will to do anything other than wait for the next cheque. Real people here hate the EU. (No doubt someone will post stats that Extremadura gets lots of EU money - true - but people hate the EU.) People here would vote to leave given half a chance.
I agree with most of the first part However, apart from my brother in law, I don't see a clammer to leave. Bilbao has also benefited enormously from EU money but here there are alternatives and has been investment in new technologies.
Olive,
My brother in law hates immigration of all types including Spanish. His centre of the world is his beloved Euskadi and can't see beyond the end of his nose.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Lavanda wrote:Come up here Olive. Everyone thinks Spain's problems have been created by the EU as, instead of developing sustainable industries and balancing the economic books, Spain has relied on EU money and become a client state. It's a bit like being dependent on benefits and, eventually, losing all initiative, ambition and will to do anything other than wait for the next cheque. Real people here hate the EU. (No doubt someone will post stats that Extremadura gets lots of EU money - true - but people hate the EU.) People here would vote to leave given half a chance.
You have hit the nail on the head - being in the EU is like being a benefits claimant, you are reliant on them providing you with your living but you also have no say in the rules they make and enforce on you to allow you to keep that money coming in. Tow the line or else !

Also - windfarms - another reason to get out of the EU, green policies which are pushing up the price of energy for everyone by hundreds of pounds per year purely so the politicians that sit on the energy boards in the EU can receive lots of profits from forcing these green policies through and increasing their share prices :evil:

By the way, does anyone know if there has EVER been an honest politician ? Or is that wishful thinking :mrgreen:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Possibly Cicero — but he came to a sticky ending. The saying "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" is pretty much true. A person might start out with good intentions but all roads lead to hell in the end ...

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Mon May 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Lavanda wrote:Possibly Cicero — but he came to a sticky ending. The saying "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" is pretty much true. A person might start out with good intentions but all roads lead to hell in the end ...
What a depressing thought ! :(

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm

My Spanish friends are also talking about leaving the EU and say they would be glad to leave, they blame the EU for most things here.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Looking forward to these results tomorrow!

Although having just walked back from the polling station it was all rather quiet.

Ballot paper was so big that when folded it wouldn't fit in the box :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Yes, ours was like being given a length of bog roll. Had to fold it about 3 times to get it in the box. Was brisk in our village this afternoon with cars coming in all the time.

Farage was on the front page of El Pais today :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Results from the UK are on Sunday after the other EU countries vote and according to EU law. Other than in The Netherlands, who also voted today and will post results today as, in Holland, Dutch law supercedes EU law.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Thu May 22, 2014 8:07 pm

A few UKIP supporters were saying that the big 3 parties were trying to sabotage the voting slips by putting fictitious similar sounding named parties on the slip to confuse people and get them to vote for the wrong parties, i.e. A United Independant or some such like which came at the top of the slip but was nothing to do with UKIP.

Didn't confuse me though ! :mrgreen:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Yep I almost fell for that, the X did go in the bottom box though :mrgreen:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Have you seen on the news what has been going on in places like Bradford, Birmingham and East London? Bullies lying in wait outside of the voting booths and intimidating voters and the police had to be drafted in to stop it. They reckon in the same areas people have been forced on their doorsteps to vote in a certain way. It was reported that the areas affected were highly populated pakistani areas :roll: Not long now before we have muslim politicians running Westminster.

The UK becomes more like a banana republic every day !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:48 pm

My vote was next to the bottom. Did anyone see the places being investigated for postal voting fraud? In Oldham 5000 potential voters were struck off after an investigation, happens in a quite a few other places too :thumbdown:

OH was undecided who to vote for until he saw the leaflets being handed out in one Sheffield area advising immigrants that it was not countryside and was not the done thing to squat and defecate in the street. :shock: ....and they have the audacity to accuse people of racism for not wanting to live next door to them

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu May 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Who was next to the bottom?.........missed that one :shock:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Who was next to the bottom?.........missed that one :shock:

I got confused,I thought this was still katy's point about squatting and defecating in the street :shh:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Who was next to the bottom?.........missed that one :shock:
Probably some local nutter :lol: I am a sucker for a pound symbol :wink:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes, UKIP was second from bottom on mine too but they didn't fool me, I am wise to their tricks :wink:

Actually you mention defecating on the pavements, someone did that in front of me in my local town centre on the car park, he was wearing one of those white long tops and white pants and he was of middle eastern appearance, don't know the nationality and he just dropped his trousers about 20 yards from me and *beep* on the ground. I was with my husband. I was disgusted and shouted "you filthy pig"! He just laughed, hitched up his britches and walked on and never batted an eyelid. Obviously normal behaviour where he came from. That was one of the reasons I moved house. I felt like I was living in a foreign country, no-one spoke English around me and the town was full of dozens of different nationalities, the place was treated like a rubbish tip too.

I can well understand how people in Sheffield (Brits) feel but i did hear that the biggest arguments there are between the Romanians who roam the streets and do as you said and the pakistanis who have lived there for years and obviously are much more well behaved :mrgreen:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Thu May 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Me too Katy, I spend half my life in the £ shops, some good bargains in there too ! :wink:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Thu May 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Katy going back to your point about "who wants to live next door to them" and the government's accusation of racism. You don't see many Romanians dropping their trousers and squatting in front of No. 10 do you ? No, even they aren't that cheeky :wink: If they did then perhaps Mr. Cameron might have a change of mind? Or perhaps not, he is as thick as a brick anyway. :lol:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Fri May 23, 2014 10:44 am

UKIP making real gains in the UK. Around my area of the West Midlands where we have high immigrant areas and high unemployment (one of the biggest in the country) UKIP have made big gains and gained 4 seats in Cannock, an adjoining area to me. Unfortunately we didn't have a local election to vote in otherwise UKIP would have got that too !

Congratulations to Farage, his voice and that of the people is finally, finally being heard !

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 am

The key for UKIP supporters is where are those gains coming from and it seems from disgruntled Tories.
Labour has in fact more gains so it would seem that the more UKIP gain, the further they move from their objective.
In the end after watching Nigel Farage's awful performance on LBC, many people could see him for what he is.