Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Sandramay
Resident

Re: Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Postby Sandramay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 am

I thought today's article might be of interest and relevant.?

Official figures from Spanish authorities show how 90,000 Brits packed up and left last year, fleeing the eurozone crisis, high unemployment and a crash in house prices. Data from the National Institute of Statistics reveals how almost a quarter of Britons registered with local councils in Spain went home last year.
In all, 87,880 left Spain behind after a life in sun failed to live up to the dream.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2zhXnu5k5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Faceboo
Sandramay

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am

I had a printing business in the UK a million years ago it seems, which was difficult but satisfying, but talking to some Brit business owners here there is no way I would try it here!
If they are not winding me up, the local rates are set by an arbitrary assessment as to what "that sort" of business should turnover, the IVA is similar, rather than a pure return of inputs versus outputs, and of course there is the normal habit of Spanish landlords to see how they think the business is doing then hike up the (already high) rent each renewal.
One other point, if the couple move to be near friends in Nerja, there is every chance that they will slide in to an ex-pat lifestyle, with little exposure to Spanish (people or language) and too much exposure to sun and sangria (or their tipple of choice).
I reckon their choice is either knuckle back down and make a good life in the UK, or have a sabbatical until the money runs out and they have to scrounge off friends and relatives before going back with their tails between their legs. There is no safety belt here for those without independent income.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 am

Sandramay wrote:I thought today's article might be of interest and relevant.?

Official figures from Spanish authorities show how 90,000 Brits packed up and left last year,
I am afraid that could be a dubious report.

All that has happened is that recently in many towns they have been forced to validate all the people on the padron by asking them to re-register. The reason they have been asked to do this by the government is because they believe the records to be inaccurate.

Bearing in mind, over the last 10 years or so, since they last did this, many people who were just out here in their holiday homes, but who were incorrectly advised to sign on, have now dropped off the new lists.

I am guessing that many of the 90000 were never really residents in the first place!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 am

However dubious the status of those leaving, it still suggests that there are less and less non-spanish living here, therefore less possible customers for a business aimed at ex-pats. A Brit without good Spanish and a good knowledge of the infrastructure would not stand much chance trying to start anything aimed at Spanish clients, I would suggest.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 am

Sadly I am aware of four ex pat acquaintances whose businesses have failed and don't have any acquaintances whose businesses have succeeded. :(
If the two people, in the original post, have the guts and determination, and can find a suitable business venture, that Benidorm obviously has, then they might succeed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am

Try the Telegraph -

http://tinyurl.com/lj62z2u

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 pm

My daughter and her partner as i said at the moment repossess cars arranged through finance companies and serve legal papaers so are out in all weathers, winter or summer, sometimes in very stressful situations (you can imagine taking vehicles off people who are already struggling to survive), sometimes obviously the vehicles are owned by companies (fleet vehicles) but the overheads of collecting are high and you can spend 2 weeks chasing the same vehicle and a fixed cost for repossession, sometimes of only £60 per vehicle no matter what the cost of fuel or time involved to get it back. My daughter hates the business he is in and wants something more flexible (bits of this and that perhaps) without the danger and stress, although obviously the not knowing how much you will earn from week to week would not change in Spain unless they drop on a permanent business with guaranteed income (nigh on impossible probably). So they are not leaving a guaranteed income or a business that has a guaranteed stress level (sometimes they can go 2 weeks or more without work to do, sometimes rushed off their feet) and can never bank on taking a holiday. In fact they haven't had a week off to relax in 3 yrs ! :roll:

Admittedly there is a big risk in what they are doing, but he always said he can come back and do what he has been doing as his son is taking over the job after he leaves and they could throw in together as a short term strategy if he returns.

To be honest I read that article referred to above and as I said I have very negative feelings about them going but they both want to do it, so as I said, I think they should just give it 12 months and then should know what prospects they have of making a living. If at that stage it is still not working, they should return (at least that is what I would do). However, as I said he will not give up easily on his dream :(

KarenD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KarenD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:09 pm

My husband and I both work in Gibraltar and live in Spain. It works for us - we get the best of both worlds

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Actually Karen he quite likes Gibralter and goes there to shop so how far from Gibralter do you live?

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:40 pm

If nearly 90000 left Spain after their dream of living in the sun failed..and about 400000 brits leave the UK each year to become expats after their dream of living in the cloud failed, then it looks as if it might be better to run a shop for brits abroad than in the UK,eventually there will be more expat brits than brits in their home country!

Lovely terms "brits" and " expats"....what is the correct term for an expat who returns to the UK? Born- again pat" ?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

'Repat', or for those who COUldn't Work, Cowpat?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:16 pm

eazbak wrote:
Lovely terms "brits" and " expats"....what is the correct term for an expat who returns to the UK? Born- again pat" ?
Rich :wink: :mrgreen:

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Rich from their earnings in Spain.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Maybe they should try other parts of Spain. Up here in the north (the Atlantic coast)things aren't so dire.
I actually don't know any expat from any country who is currently unemployed. However,they would have to trade that with cooler climates.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:04 pm

They will probably try their first choice (Nerja/Torrox) and if after a few months things don't work out, they will research other areas and perhaps move elsewhere if there is a better chance of work. As long as they are somewhere warm I don't think sticking to one area will be an option.

Anyway, wherever they end up my holidays are sorted for this year - they will need the rent money and a few meals out for their spare room ! :mrgreen:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 pm

I would advise them not to come if they need to find work however, I do know of one person who made money in Spain - David Beckham :lolno: I think unless you are retiring and on a decent pension, Spain does not work for a family who need to make a living. From our experience, even when employed, you are unlikely to get paid. You buy a car, put in fuel, pay for childcare, etc and get no wages at the end of the month. I was so excited when we returned to the UK when it was payday and we actually got a payslip and money deposited in the bank - they thought we were a couple of nutters as we were so excited jumping up and down shouting "we got paid". Worst of all, when we returned to the UK (and we were ill) we were unable to claim any benefits for six months!! I say go on holiday, enjoy the country, then come home.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:11 am

Maybe it's just me..?

No Words of Encouragement, just constant Negativity.!

What is up with everyone, what has happened to the 'Dunkirk Spirit' ,anyone wanting to come to Spain doesn't exactly have to trek down here in a covered wagon pulled by 4 old nags and be attacked by tribes of native Indians. :shock:
OK you will probably have to arrive on a naff cheap airlines plane and endure an overpriced cardboard sandwich, but you arrive relatively unscathed.

So it's going to be difficult ,if not impossible to find a job, so get that shaky backbone in place and go and create your own work...for F..S..., what's up with everyone.. :crazy:

All this talk about sitting back and enjoying an extended holiday is just laziness, you might as well wear flared trousers and flower power shirts and expect everyone to support you...all this negative talk makes my blood boil ...

Come everyone ..There's gold in them there mountains...it will be hard work..but worth it.

Regards,
Gordon...Mr.Angry ...Granada Province..

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Well Gordon I have to say this, if there is any work of any type that can be found, my daughter's partner will find it. He has had a go at everything and as regards not being paid which the last poster mentioned, he has had that happen to him too BUT IN ENGLAND ! He undertook a load of work for a solicitor who subsequently went broke. Fancy that a solicitor going broke ! :shock: However, he should have got his money as the solicitor is supposed to send the invoices for the work to a legal body that pays the money out (forgot what is is called now, something to do with Legal Aid I think). Anyway, the solicitor failed to send off the invoices and so my daughter's partner lost about £2,000. This is not the first time he has not got paid either for work he has done, so the problem of not being paid isn't solely reserved for the Spanish employers :wink: I think sometimes when you work for yourself you have to take some people on good faith to pay, problem is if they go bust you might not get your money, and not everyone is trustworthy unfortunately but that is not confined to any one country.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:09 pm

I'd just like to say I am a really optimistic person - I came to Spain with money in the bank and a rental property already purchased in a prime location that was doing really well. We speak Spanish (partner's family all from Malaga) and I found a job within a month of arriving. Couldn't have planned it any better as a family relocating. My partner was employed full time on a contract, so not self employed. We project managed a villa too and found some odd jobs painting, etc. I'm not at all bitter but do I wish I hadn't made the move to Spain - absolutely! My kids enjoyed their time there and we all look back with fondness and happy times, but tarred with sadness and anger too (friends who borrowed money from us, employers who didn't pay, animals we had to rescue, etc). Everyone who has returned to the UK is penniless and we are all starting again in our 50's so it's not ideal. I stick to my answer that it's really difficult, perhaps impossible, to make a living in Spain especially cleaning pools, rental changeovers etc where everyone is searching for work.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Scot wrote: I stick to my answer that it's really difficult, perhaps impossible, to make a living in Spain especially cleaning pools, rental changeovers etc where everyone is searching for work.
Thanks for that heads up from someone who has been here and got the T-Shirt. It's very sad that it didn't work out for you and we have seen so many younger people who have had to give up their Spanish dream to the realities of the current situation.

Benidorm may well know of " gold in them there mountains" but it would be nice if he could tell us where it is so that the 1.47 million unemployed in just Andalucia can form an orderly queue.

Sid