Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Postby katy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:34 pm

gerryh wrote:Lyric
I think you have summed it up very well. I have been wondering if this whole post wasn't a big wind up.
Cheers
Gerry

PS Sorry Sid
Has to be a wind up....someone trying for work on the CDS right now :wink:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:34 am

gerryh wrote:Perhaps there's a chance for a job in Nerja, selling Tea bags and gravy to the brits?
Cheers
Gerry
Terrific name for a song......

"tea bags and gravy"

anyroads

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:54 am

JWhite wrote:Anyone know where my daughter's partner could get some speakers for his disco equipment? Apparently he has been trying everywhere and can't get any :shock: I suggested the free papers may have adverts in them but they said they don't see any free papers where they are. Anyone know if there are any in Nerja area ?
Both the Euro Weekly News and Sur in English are both available in Nerja.
Disco equipment is available in a shop up behind Plaza de Espana, near the junction of la Cruz and Pintada.
What disco equipment does he currently have?
Is he looking for active or passive speakers?
What size venues does he perform in?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 am

Hi JWhite,

Worth a look.................

http://www.milanuncios.com/anuncios/alt ... -audio.htm
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am

gerryh wrote:
JWhite wrote:Is he looking for active or passive speakers?
Cheers
Gerry
Hang on a minute . . . . . . Active or passive ? :wtf: is this a euphemism for some type of adult carry on ? :mrgreen:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 am

Enrique wrote:Hi JWhite,

Worth a look.................

http://www.milanuncios.com/anuncios/alt ... -audio.htm
I would suggest this is a better section for disco sound equipment.
http://www.milanuncios.com/equipos-de-sonido/
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 am

"I would suggest this is a better section for disco sound equipment."

Gerry:: it was an intro to Milanuncios...........would hope the guy could do his own search....... :thumbup:

:D

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 am

Given the fact he can't find the free newspapers in Nerja, I wouldn't be to sure of that. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:05 am

I was going on the guys palmarès...........sounds like he could have built Rome in a day......... :D

FYI:
palmarès...............meaning list of achievements

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks for any "useful" info, I will pass it on but not the sarcasm, I am not sure what type of speakers he needs but as I am "off thread" I think I had better refrain from commenting, especially as the opinion of "some" is that I am not serious.

Pity that, I have personally never been one for taking the pee out of other people, especially strangers, as many do on forums, I always thought forums were for people to pop in for advice from people "in the know" without them being judgmental or sarcastic, it seems that some people regard these forums as their own private chat rooms and strangers are not welcome and can be used to take a "pop" at people and make fun of them, at least that is how I have been made to feel. I also feel there is no need to be sarcastic as in "this must be a wind up, work on the CDS?", "sounds like he could build Rome in a day", "Given the fact he can't find the free newspapers in Nerja, I wouldn't be to sure of that. :think:" Do you also pull the wings off butterflies in your spare time ?

Why a wind up anyway, do people not look for work in Spain as in anywhere else in the world ? It is also quite insulting to "talk about people in the 3rd person" as if I am not here and do not come on to read these disgusting comments about me and my family, some people must judge others based on their own characters I guess :roll:

I will in future look elsewhere for any help I need. :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:02 am

Sorry...we did go too far. I don't think it is a wind up really, was just joking.

It's very cliquey on here. Ok to keep butting in about restaurants in ingenio whatever but the op is off topic :roll:

Why did they not take the equipment with them?

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Katy, apology accepted.

They couldn't take the equipment with them as the van they bought to take the stuff over wasn't big enough. As it was they had to leave loads of stuff behind, like her vacuum cleaner and some kitchen stuff so this is why they are scouting around for stuff now. We helped pack the van and when we finished we could hardly close the doors (they took their mattress with them too which took up a lot of room). :wink:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:35 pm

I think, JWhite, it is just something we have seen many times before.

If you have lived here for some time many people have been seen to come and go. They arrive optimistic and with great plans. They often leave the house they have bought and uproot their family for a second time.

Latterly typically people would come over here having sold their place in UK, have a holiday for a while,and then suddenly think blimey we are running out of money and look around for work. And, in the good days there was work around, a lot on the black market, some legitimate. I wish I had a euro for everyone who said they were going to learn the language, tried for a few weeks, and never did. I can see why we once had so many colonies as we seem to colonise wherever we go. English bars, quiz nights, boot sales and all the rest.

There has been a torrent of TV programmes following such people setting up businesses in times gone by and property disasters now. You may have seen them, you may have not. I have to say my heart sinks when I hear someone say 'we put our life savings into....'.

The general trend of the thread is 'take care'. There are some nice people down here and some that are not so nice. Recently on one of these programmes some poor woman said she trusted the vendor because he was English, and that can be a mistake.

Good luck to your daughter and her partner and I wish them well in whatever they do.

Re tea, I think if they check out Carrefour as they have a foreign food (including English) section. Or also they could checkout as some people do a monthly coach trip to Gibraltar, or used to, anyway.

However, I personally would not try to repossess a car on the Costa!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Unicorn wrote:I think, JWhite, it is just something we have seen many times before.

If you have lived here for some time many people have been seen to come and go. They arrive optimistic and with great plans.

There has been a torrent of TV programmes following such people setting up businesses in times gone by and property disasters now. You may have seen them, you may have not. I have to say my heart sinks when I hear someone say 'we put our life savings into....'.

The general trend of the thread is 'take care'. There are some nice people down here and some that are not so nice.

!
I noticed one example this week. Someone who posts around the spain forums claiming there is plenty of work in Spain, businesses doing well yadda yadda. They opened a business in Spain early December 2013...this week a closing down sale advertised :(

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Wow - some of you did seem a bit short with your responses! I wouldn't take it personally tho as sometimes the written word can appear blunt. Can't knock JWhite and her family for their enthusiasm tho as we came over to Spain full of excitement too. However, I have to be realistic too which can appear negative.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Just checking on my bank account earlier today.

Seeing how electricity / water charges are going up, I feel sorry for anyone needing a job in Spain at the moment and not working.

anyroads

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't normally make adverse or negative comments regarding other posters, but in this case :think:
Two things strike me as odd about this "case", firstly having being informed of the previous commercial successes of the person in question I find it really, really difficult to believe that he doesn't have personal access to the internet ?? ergo this forum, and secondly in my personal judgement one, (any non Spanish individual) seeking work in the Andalucia area has probably more chance of of finding Lord Lucan than they have of landing decent legitimate employment, just saying :?

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm

There are jobs for English teachers, graduates with TEFL, always advertised at this time of year. And occasionally there are office jobs but most need Spanish as well.

There are loads of selling stardust to the gullible but they are never (tell me if I'm wrong) legit. They may say they give a 'contract', but do not employ you in the true sense of the word. Don't get me going on estate agents and their supposed employment ops.
If you do not need to work,great, but the chances of a 50 something person with no Spanish landing a 'proper' job is well, let's say, they are already shaking hands with Lord Lucan, who is probably astride Shergar with the crew of the Marie Celeste singing the chorus.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:42 pm

I am well aware of the dangers of not finding work in Spain, we had an apartment for 7 yrs on the Costa Blanca (sold it 2 yrs ago), we were going to move there (retire) but decided it was not for us but whilst visiting there we met many people who were of working age struggling to find work. I was not in favour of them doing it, but it has nothing to do with me, they are not married for a start so I have no hold over her partner anyway and both wanted to give this a try. They have changed their occupations many times during the recent recession over several years so are not averse to trying anything and he is very entrepreneurial when it comes to finding work. For instance who in their right mind would want to go from owning a factory business (which he left for personal family reasons) to working as a debt collector and private investigator ?? Certainly not me but he did it and it was OK, didn't make him a millionaire but paid the bills, the downside being the stress and hassle with getting money out of people which my daughter didn't like. The company he worked for said they may have the odd job in Spain when he got there if he wanted it, my daughter said no, she was rightly very nervous about him confronting what basically are criminals who have absconded with vehicles with debts owing on them.

The reason they have no internet is that they are waiting to move into more permanent accommodation and have no broadband where they are and can only "connect" in wifi zones at the moment. Hence me seeking info on their behalf. He is very independant anyway and would probably not have wanted me to ask but I am thinking of my daughter naturally.

I have enough concerns for all 4 of us but had to appear encouraging when this is their dream and they decided to go. He has always wanted to return to Spain after his family owned a villa there for many years in Nerja. He is sensible enough to not leave himself without any money before he calls it quits if there is no work. I hope for their sake it doesn't come to that, but I have to admit I am realist and anyway I am a "glass half empty" person ! :roll:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Alas,

This is as good as it is going to get in Spain ( or Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Italy, France not far behind).

People will have to get used to the new reality. Unskilled jobs are never going to be more in number than they are now. 20-25% unemployment will be the norm in Spain.

You read it here first.

anyroads