Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
JWhite
Resident

Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am

I am sure this question has been asked many times before but here goes :oops:

My daughter and her partner are moving to Costa Del Sol, Nerja/Torrox area next week and have sold their apartment here in the UK and given up their self employed job. They have enough capital to keep them there whilst trying to find work for approx. 2 yrs.

I am worried that they are over optimistic about getting work in Spain which has a much higher unemployment rate than here in the UK, though many jobs on offer here in the UK are zero hr contracts and part time work (very often offering below minimum wage these days as my granddaughter has found :roll: ).

Anyway, that apart my daughter is a qualified hairdresser but has decided not to set up a business in that but might do some mobile hair dressing in the short term (she cannot stand for long periods due to slight back problems and has heard that the Spanish women prefer their own hairdressers in any case). She is willing to do anything, as is her partner. He has owned his own company (engineering) some years ago and has always worked for himself for the most part. He says he will do anything from cleaning apartments to working behind a bar, to doing mobile discos, to the odd maintenance job. He is very positive minded and has always said "there is always work available for someone who wants to work". He speaks a little Spanish and is planning to learn the language fully when he gets there. His most recent job in the UK involves repossessing cars on behalf of Banks and HP companies and serving papers (legal documents).

However I am still worried, I don't see how any of those jobs he talks about doing in Spain will actually exist in a country where is it 20% of its population are unemployed :shock: Surely unskilled jobs are the ones that go first in a country where there is high unemployment.

If you had a relative coming over there to work, what would you suggest they might get work in ?

Unicorn
Resident

Re: Chances of Work in Costa Del Sol

Postby Unicorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 am

I would first suggest that they go, not together, and do at least a 2 week intensive Spanish course. Do classes and live with a Spanish family. If they go together they will obviously talk together which would defeat the point. I would suggest somewhere like Granada.. It is not that expensive to do.
Depending on their qualifications one or other could do a TEFL/EFL course as English is in demand.
Bear in mind that self employed have to pay social security, whether they earn or not of just shy of 300Euros a month. Also if they are not paying for that they get no healthcare.
I recommend You and the Law in Spain by David Searle, (I am not a shareholder!) as it gives very solid information on law, employment and many other things.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 am

Quote removed. Please do not habitually quote an immediately previous post in its entirety. (ADC Moderator)

They are set on settling in Nerja/Torrox area, mainly as they have friends there (British) who have been there for over 40 yrs and obviously will be invaluable in advising them on the "system" and how to navigate the bureaucratic maze in Spain. My daughter's partner is already aware that he will have to pay 300 euros per month to the government to access the healthcare and be self employed, so no nasty surprise there but as I say, I am really worried that with the best intentions in the world, they will not be able to find sufficient work to pay their way there :( By the way what is a TEFL/EFL course ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 am

JWhite wrote: I am really worried that with the best intentions in the world, they will not be able to find sufficient work to pay their way there :( By the way what is a TEFL/EFL course ?

I think you are right to be concerned.

Your 20% figure for unemployment is way out. It is 37% in Andalucia and nearly 70% for those under 24.

I think the chances of getting work if you are not fluent are tiny. Maybe the odd bar job in an English bar but that's about it. Your daughter has a better chance as she has some skills, but the town is crawling with hairdressers already.

It looks like a recipe for losing all their capital to me. Sorry I can't be any more positive.

Have a read of this http://goo.gl/SqLtOX

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:17 am

Hairdressers usually have to rent a chair and be self employed. Wouldn't bother with the TEFL course as everyone and their Mother has one on the coast. Actually the 20% unemployment you quote is a whopping 35% in Andalucia. They could always do what most other Brits do......illegal airport runs, handyman jobs etc :mrgreen:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 am

Katy, I think it depends on your qualifications. I have done a couple of stints in private schools here and they demand a degree as well as EFL certificate. I don't know about where you are/were but the Brits here are not awash with degrees. I have also found that speaking Spanish is an advantage because you can communicate with the parents.

megan242
Tourist

Postby megan242 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello
I am in my 40's and I have lived slightly inland from Malaga for 3 years now and I have been regularly looking for work without success. I frequently check the papers, visit the holiday resorts walking around asking for work, I email businesses to ask them, but there just isn't anything available. The jobs, whether English or Spanish, seem to go to family members first and then friends. The only jobs readily available are selling jobs (commission only). I love the Nerja area but unless you know somebody with a business and possible job vacancy it's going to be a hard slog. I am now considering returning to England as I have almost run out of money and would urge anybody wanting to come to Spain to think very carefully about how they will earn an income while living here.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Here is a link (I hope) Megan. I obviously do not know if you have been down this route.

https://ws054.juntadeandalucia.es/eurek ... tasEmpleo/

You are, of course, correct, the sales jobs are rubbish and some illegal- you know selling to widows and orphans and the like! And worse.

I remember some time ago someone I knew was selling something dodgy and the office was raided and they were all hauled in by the police.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

My last post was marked in red as removed although it is still there for me to see so I don't know now if the post was posted or not??????

All I wanted to say was that my daughter and her partner are intent on settling in Nerja/Torrox area as they have friends that have been there for 40 yrs so can advise them on the way the Spanish system works and will provide them with much useful info on how to navigate the bureaucracy which is world famous in Spain :mrgreen:

What is a TEFL/EFL course ?

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 pm

katy wrote:Hairdressers usually have to rent a chair and be self employed. Wouldn't bother with the TEFL course as everyone and their Mother has one on the coast. Actually the 20% unemployment you quote is a whopping 35% in Andalucia. They could always do what most other Brits do......illegal airport runs, handyman jobs etc :mrgreen:
He is prepared to do anything Katy but as I said I am very worried as he is "overly" optimistic about prospects of work. I have tried to tell them both judging by our short visits to Spain when we had our apartment in Alicante and the work prospects there were bad even then when we sold it in 2012 and I think things have deteriorated since then, although as I say they are heading for Nerja area.

Problem is (if you can think of it that way) he is a very positive kind of person who won't give up easily and maybe he can pick up bits here and there as you say but my gut feeling it that it will all end badly :( The only bright spot is that his friend there who has been there over 40 yrs already had a "key holding" and "apartment cleaning" business and did most of the cleaning herself but had to give that side up as she is in her 70's now. I know she struggles on a low pension and does translation work which is always a possibility too for him and might be able to take over some of her "apartment cleaning and key holding" work.

They have enough money as I say to last about 2 yrs but I did say to them I would give it 12 months and I think by then they would really know if there was a fair chance of making a living and if they have not built up some regular work then they should head home whilst they still have some money to rent somewhere here.

The other downside is that they are the wrong age to "start again", with him being in his mid 50's and my daughter 40 this year. If anyone can "make it work", it is him but I fear there is too much against it happening for them I am sad to say. :(

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

The Brits were leaving the sinking ship when the Spanish economy was better than it is now.
Lots of young spanish are coming to uk to work so I think you're right in thinking your family's prospects are not good.
If they're selling up and going to Spain on a good pension then why not have a go otherwise I think they'll be back within 2 years.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Neither of them are old enough to retire on pensions, they are both working age :shock:

I did say if the worse happens we will take them in if they have to return ! It just all seems like a waste of money when the writing is on the wall :roll:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:18 pm

As a matter of interest, does anyone know of anyone that went there recently and bucked the trend and made a go of it, you hear of so many who fail and return ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:48 pm

There was one on here recently who said they had been offered not one but two jobs both with the promise of promotion to manager and he/she had only just arrived perhaps PM them, can't remember their name.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Even in the 'good' days there were always those who came here, had a holiday for a couple of years and then went home to UK broke. This couple are probably different but you have to accept that you are not on holiday but living here.
My heart always sinks when I hear that phrase 'we put out life savings in a.........' almost as much 'the estate agent recommended a lawyer'.

If they want a bit of sun and employment the only place I can think of is Gibraltar. Not everyone's cup of tea but it is what it is.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:31 pm

JWhite wrote:My last post was marked in red as removed although it is still there for me to see so I don't know now if the post was posted or not??????...
The only part of your post which was removed was the entire quote from the previous post. The main body of your post was left intact. On this forum the entire quote of an immediately previous post is not encouraged. That is what I tried to convey in the part in red print.
Let's go Brandon!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm

katy wrote:There was one on here recently who said they had been offered not one but two jobs both with the promise of promotion to manager and he/she had only just arrived perhaps PM them, can't remember their name.
Elusive.

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks Beachcomber for the explanation! :wink:

JWhite
Resident

Postby JWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Unicorn - "If they want a bit of sun and employment the only place I can think of is Gibraltar. Not everyone's cup of tea but it is what it is."

They are not looking for a holiday but a change of country to one my daughter's partner has always had an affection for! He spent most of his school holidays at his parents' second home in Nerja and has always had an affinity with that area.

However, anyone living in the UK at the moment might be sympathetic to his desire to leave the country :D

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:21 pm

I meant no offence, but there is little work here. It would be pointless to mislead you. In Gibraltar there is almost zero unemployment which is why I suggested it.

I suggested earlier that they learn Spanish to conversation level. A Brit with Spanish is much more employable than one without.

Oooops
Last edited by Unicorn on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.