Torremolinos is quiet at night

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Torremolinos is quiet at night

Postby Miro » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:05 am

Can't say I've noticed any increase in tourist numbers, but supposedly Torrie has always had the highest occupancy rates anyway. The various nighttime events in the main square have undoubtedly been attracting huge crowds though.
The new driving route around the centre, which I was skeptical about initially, would be perfectly fine if it was better signposted (especially for out-of-towners), and if they did something about the blasted double and even triple parking - a huge missed opportunity to first massively bolster the town's finances by implementing a zero-tolerance policy, towing and fining, & secondly to quickly re-educate locals, leading to a simple free-flowing route.
McDonalds allegedly left over a dispute with the town hall over the cost demanded for outside terrace space; the new mayor supposedly negotiated a deal with them, and they're coming back. Clearly, this new mayor is somewhat more enlightened! Several new terrace spaces have sprung up along the main street, including the new Irish bar - it's a no-brainer IMO. Same as the Gay Pride thing - the old mayor, ironically a well-known friend of Dorothy himself, apparently wanted to keep Torrie's gay scene firmly in the closet, but from a purely economic point of view (whatever your other views may be) the Pink Pound is there to be exploited, so why not? Not done Brighton any harm!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:34 am

Anybody remember George McCrae? Rock Your Baby? He'll be performing in the Nogalera square next Friday evening (1st July) as part of the Funky Town concert, from 20:00. See you there! :wave:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:58 am

Great night in the plaza last night. There's more tonight: http://www.torremolinos.es/2016/07/la-b ... remolinos/

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:23 pm

More live bands in the Plaza Nogalera tomorrow night from 21:00
There will be bars set up around the square, and the entertainment is free! :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:45 am

:cry: Well, apologies to anyone who went along on my tip. The four bands were truly awful, the bars were probably emptier than on a regular Saturday night as a result - I honestly have no idea what the town hall were thinking putting on this rubbish. The "music" defied genre - the "instruments" sounded more like power tools to me. Perhaps I'm just getting old. The only positive I can give is that Torremolinos was most definitely NOT quiet at night!

Hoping for better stuff next weekend. Food trucks in the square, and hopefully some music we can listen to.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:00 am

Torre was bustling on Sat night...lots of people were out..i noticed lots of new shops and bars..i hope it continues..

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:36 am

Another busy night in town last night, with live bands & bars set up in the Nogalera square, but walking around, everywhere was heaving. I noticed another new bar and another new fast-food joint on the main road that weren't there a week ago; the newly re-opened McDonalds was packed to the hilt on the terrace which the former mayor denied them (resulting in them quitting town). We have started going out again in the evenings after hardly bothering for years because basically the place was dead, and I know other locals are saying the same, but some of the crowds must be coming from out of town, or at least from the hotels along the beaches. I can honestly say that in 15 years, I've never seen the town so lively. :thumbup:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Miro,
It was very lively when we were there just over a week back on an over night stay before travelling back to the Uk..It was refreshing to see so many people out and the new shops and various other businesses have given Torre a much needed lift. :thumbup:
We have holidayed on CDS for 25yrs, first in Fuengirola then Marbella and Benalmadena before finally Torre which we prefered above all the latter resorts..mainly because most of the bars and restaurants were Spanish and we liked the feel of the place...Torre became our first week of our holidays with the children before travelling further afield to their grandparents in the Granada hills..So much has changed over the yrs, in the early days we didn't notice many Brits in the town, as the yrs have rolled by that has certainly changed, i remember my family being the only Brits in Hotel Don Paquito only 10yrs ago, ( most were Spanish, a few French and Italians) now the hotel is full of Brits.
Im glad it's changing for the better and you feel like going out again, my son became bored with the place, the same old old scenario but on this occasion he really enjoyed our one night stay over and commented on how things had improved.. :) :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 am

Last of the summer live music events this Saturday evening. Soul & Blues bands in the Nogalera square, & Flamenco in Plaza Independencia (by the old town hall). No idea if they'll be any good, but most of these evenings have had a great atmosphere & been good entertainment...and free!

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Sorry for 2 year gap in posting
Yes Torremolinos is buzzing at night with the right sort of people(no lager louts, mainly families English and Spanish)
I was there 4 weeks ago and loved it
Staying in Malaga city for 2 weeks from 12 September but hope to go out in Torremolinos for at least 5 or 6 nights sampling the delights of La Nogalera
Torry is definitely back in vogue again
It must be the only English tourist resort in Spain that is authentically pure Spain!!!( remember it is only within the last 20 years that it moved from being part of, and a Spanish suburb of Malaga City
I find it hard to convince my English friends how wonderful this Spanish town is now(they cant seem to forget its bad reputation of the 70/80s full of English lads)
Even mercadona is one of the pleasures of visiting this town with their friendly gorgeous staff
Miro knows I am sure that Torremolinos is definitely underrated
Take a walk down from the centre of town down Calle Mercedes and you will see why I say that parts of Torremolinos are truly as beautiful as Malaga City
Dying to move to spain

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:28 am

Nice to hear some positive views on the old place! "Delights" of La Nogalera? I won't ask! :P
"English tourist resort in Spain" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me, but I think I know what you mean. However, it's never seemed the slightest bit English to me. I owned a hostal here in the early noughties, and at least 50% of the clientele were Spanish, the other half made up of a real mixture, and I think that's reflected in the town in general. La Carihuela actually seems to be more Dutch dominated than Brit, if anything. Now, Benalmadina, that's another story!
I must admit I'm a bit baffled by your comments about Mercadona's staff - maybe I'm going to the wrong branch! And I don't think anyone could ever quote me as saying Torrie is beautiful - C/Mercedes is just a hill full of parked cars, that goes down to the beach. I'm obviously missing something, but hey, like I said, always good to hear someone with a positive view!
:thumbup:

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Well Miro
How very dare you not appreciate the cheerful friendly staff at the only mercadona supermarket in Torremolinos!!!
I don't think I have ever looked forward to going to a supermarket in UK with miserable cashiers, pushy customers and no singing!!!!
I love it
Calle Mercedes is beautiful, a mini mountain road with fabulous views along the coast to Malaga City.yes there are parked cars,however it has the feel of the south of france rather than spain
As for la Nogalera,once again more young people from Malaga City are packing the clubs and bars,it was rammed when I was there a few weeks ago and most important of all PEACEFUL, no lager louts or antisocial behaviour
My 54 year old sister is going out with me to La Nogalera clubs in two weeks time and cant wait!!
Torremolinos is without doubt a proud Spanish town that caters for Spanish and world tourists without losing its culture
A very underrated town
Dying to move to spain

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:41 pm

The only Mercadona in Torremolinos? There are three within a short walk from me here in the centre (next to McDonalds, opposite Hipersol, and one in Calvario) plus one in Playamar, another in Montemar....and singing staff??!! Wow, I definitely missed that!
Yes, the Nogalera has been very busy this summer, helped in no small way by the many free live concerts that have taken place in the Nogalera square. Last Saturday night's soul & blues night was headlined by the Lito Blues band, and it was very apparent that many fans had made the trip from Málaga to see them.
For a quieter drink in very pleasant surroundings, the Pueblo Blanco (between C/Casablanca & C/Skal) is lovely at night. :thumbup:

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Sorry Miro
I have only noticed the central branch next to macdonalds in the 10 years I have been coming to the town
The girls and boys on the fish counter do sing!!!!
The malaguetta branch near the beach next to Malaga centro is also one of my favourite shops as well
I will be staying in Calle Victoria near plaza de merced in Malaga city next week and its only 20 euros to get a taxi to Torremolinos at night.I just love the buzz of the town day and night, also the beach in Torremolinos is a lot better than Malaguetta during the day(and cleaner)
Dying to move to spain

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Miro wrote:Last Saturday night's soul & blues night was headlined by the Lito Blues band, and it was very apparent that many fans had made the trip from Málaga to see them.
The Lito Blues Band are great, we saw them at the Contemporary Arts Centre here in Vélez-Málaga.

It's very nice to hear about the places in Andalucia which are doing well again.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

For anyone interested, there's a Pink Floyd tribute band playing this Friday night in the Nogalera square from about 21:30. Look like quite a professional outfit, should be good.
Make the most of it, the previous mayor's cronies are complaining about all the live entertainment over the summer, the business owners in Carihuela are complaining that the rejuvenation efforts are all concentrated in the town centre (well, duh, that's where needs it, not Carihuela which has always thrived) - even the big water slide down Calvario hill last weekend (the road was closed for just a few hours for some great fun) drew complaints from the usual killjoys and politicos.
Seen it all before when I lived in Mallorca - the old fat cats' attitude to tourism and busy destinations is "we've 'ad yer money, now pi55 off".
There's a new Peña de Flamenco opening soon right opposite where I live. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm concerned about late night noise, but all the activities over the summer in the town centre can surely have only been good for the town, it's reputation as a thriving resort and the future prosperity of all. Just hoping the town hall can come up with the money to finish the pedestrianisation of the main road....