Advice please re long term rental...

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
AllanClarke

Advice please re long term rental...

Postby AllanClarke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm looking to rent a one or two bedroom apartment in Torremolinos from October until March. Everything I'm looking at is 11 month rental. I assume that this is some form of standard rental period in Spain, but as I'm only looking for six months, can anyone advise me where to look? Is there somewhere that lists private rentals?
Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Advice please re long term rental...

Postby Chica56 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:16 pm

The 11 month rental is a myth, you will find Winter rentals easily, a rental contract can be for a fixed time period, I suggest you go on ownersdirect or just google winter rental 2014 torremolinos. Good luck

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Long term rentals as distinct from short term lets, are usually for 11 months as anything above 11 months give the renters entitlements which can be difficult to terminate. Of course the rental can be renewed afresh for a further period.
Why do you say they are a myth?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 am

Many tenants have successfully challenged 11 month contracts (especially Spaniards). They have turned them into the long term 5 year ones.

Try negotiating with owners for 6 months one. Most won't turn you down, there are thousands of unlet properties.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:28 am

My apartment is one of them and it is because of this that it will remain so. I would rather it lies empty for most of the year than rent it out on a long let.
Let's go Brandon!

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:32 am

People believed an eleven month contract protected them and in fact it affords no legal protection whatsoever to the property owner as Katy points out. For a Winter rental you can get a seasonal let a rental temporada.

AllanClarke

Postby AllanClarke » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks to all for comments and advice. If anyone knows of a property that's available for a six month rental, can they please let me know. Thanks.