carrowcrin

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Nimrod
Resident

Re: carrowcrin

Postby Nimrod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 am

I think you're right Gordon.
I had English grammar shoved down me at school...I think I've forgotten most of it now after 50 odd years.
You wouldn't correct someone's speech in conversation so why do it when written.
As long as you can understand it that's fine.
I don't count text speak in this,it should never have been invented and I find it unintelligible.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:48 am

"Text speak" is probably just the next stage of evolution in our language. Subsequent generations will not even be aware that it once didn't exist. There and their now seem to be totally interchangeable, even among youngsters who have completed their (there) formal education. Infuriates me, but that's the new standard it seems. I for one can't understand a word of Shakespeare, but a few generations ago I suppose that nonsense was the norm!

Grammar: the difference between knowing your $hit, and knowing you're $hit. :D
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

It does seem a bit harsh pulling ordinary forum dwellers up on grammar/spelling etc., especially when highly paid editors and proof readers allow glaring errors to be published in Newspapers, magazines and other literature. It does seem to be getting worse on that front and they DO deserve to be pulled up about it.

Although I couldn't be bothered telling them :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Miro wrote: "Text speak" is probably just the next stage of evolution in our language. Subsequent generations will not even be aware that it once didn't exist. There and their now seem to be totally interchangeable, even among youngsters who have completed their (there) formal education. Infuriates me, but that's the new standard it seems. I for one can't understand a word of Shakespeare, but a few generations ago I suppose that nonsense was the norm!
The their/there mistake is quite easy to do if you are on an I pad or phone, due to predictive text and you don't check before you send or submit. The "Should of" one is probably down to the way some people pronounce "should've".
I find text speak a little off putting but I'd agree that it's a part of the evolution of language and I like the way language evolves,
I repeat though. that even though I love talking and debating English, I'm firmly behind Gordons's point of view.
Miro wrote: Grammar: the difference between knowing your $hit, and knowing you're $hit. :D
I would like to think I would be the first but more likely I'm the second.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:47 pm

What winds me up is when professionals (solicitors, accountants etc.) send emails without checking them first. So many times there are typos. mis-spellings & dodgy grammar - it looks so unprofessional... :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Hearing interviewees on the radio who cannot speak properly puts me off completely. I am always waiting for their next grammatical error (or how many times they say 'absolutely') rather than listening to what they have to say.
Let's go Brandon!

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm in the "sin bin" again though i must admit to using a seriously bad word. It originally got censored but i edited it to make it look better and then the whole post was deleted.
This time however i got no empty email or private message advising me of my "non politically correct" posting.
I was a bit wary of using the word myself but considering i did make the same quote a couple of years ago and expected to get blasted but people thought it was funny and one person mentioned the bad word but they were immediately told by the next post that it was obvious "tongue in cheek comment"
On the basis of this i thought it might get through but there is obviously a better class person minding the goals at the moment.

Will i ever learn?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 pm

carrowcrin wrote:
Will i ever learn?
Probably not, but the swear filter is there for a reason. Attempts to circumvent it will not work as the post will still get deleted.

Unfortunately the filter picks up all sorts of fairly innocuous words, but the one you attempted to use is totally unacceptable.

Sid

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 pm

FWIW I'm thowing this in....

http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/l ... n-you-read

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Isn't it funny that a topic regarding the use of the English language should end with one of its contributors having to resort to the use of unnecessary bad language. Must be a synonym he could have used!?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:54 pm

It was surprisingly easy to read.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 pm

El Cid wrote:
Unfortunately the filter picks up all sorts of fairly innocuous words, but the one you attempted to use is totally unacceptable.

Sid
True, a word I would avoid in most circumstances.
A little ironic though, that the same word in Spanish is soft and can be heard being used by everybody.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 pm

luckyjim wrote:Isn't it funny that a topic regarding the use of the English language should end with one of its contributors having to resort to the use of unnecessary bad language. Must be a synonym he could have used!?

It won't happen again.

Sid