Meeting the President

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Meeting the President

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 09, 2015 11:36 am

Dangerous assumption - his predecessor Aznar famously looked like an alien at big meetings of world leaders.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 09, 2015 11:38 am

Yes, He does speak English but not fluent, but he is taking lessons...according to my friend in Madrid.

Regards,
Gordon.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Beachcomber wrote:
I would also take issue with the use of the word 'President'. He may be the president of the PP and the government, in the same way that there is a president of a community of owners, but he is actually the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Spain which is still a parliamentary monarchy.
Absolutely correct, I was going to post the same but in defence of Ian, he does refer to him as President of the National Government in his first post.

Peter poses an interesting question about something which many Spanish people also feel regarding whether or not it necessary for their politicians be able to speak English well?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 09, 2015 1:01 pm

I just thought that it would be polite...I can manage fairly well in Spanish, though not fluent, and if I meet a Spaniard when in the company of a lot of English-speakers would and do always greet him in Spanish. He/she then knows there is a possible bridge between the two tongues. I wonder how President of England Dave will manage without his Spanish-speaking deputy!

IanPP
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby IanPP » Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi Guys. To be honest I prefer to speak in Spanish, I'm getting to the point where when someone asks me what a word in Spanish translates to in English I struggle lol.
99% of my friends and colleagues are Spanish, I know very few ex pats on a social level, it's not that I'm antisocial, far from it, it's just the way things have panned oput over the years. As for Gibraltar it's about the only subject that I avoid, it's way to complicated, and any opinion that I expressed would make little or no difference to the situation. The only occasion in which the subject was brought up by a Spanish citizen was 14 years ago at a wedding reception in Cordoba by someone who had over indulged in hospitality and wanted to pick an arguement with anyone who would listen to him... apart from that no-one has ever mentioned the subject. :)

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun May 10, 2015 12:59 am

peteroldracer wrote:
I wonder how President of England Dave will manage without his Spanish-speaking deputy!
I think you may have been seduced by the Sturgeon woman! Mr Cameron is actually Prime Minister of the UK not England!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 10, 2015 12:17 pm

The head in the sand attitude over Gibraltar could be counter productive for the PP at local level because there are many prospective foreign PP voters in municipal elections for whom this, rightly or wrongly, is a major issue.

Personally I couldn't care less. It is a stinking, festering hell-hole of a place which would be far more at home as a suburb of La Linea than as a British Overseas Territory.
Let's go Brandon!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 10, 2015 7:04 pm

So we will see you on the next €10 shopping trip :wink: bus from Torre del Mar then beachy?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 pm

I'm with Beachcomber on this, Gibraltar is of absolutely no value to the U K whatsoever !

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 10, 2015 8:15 pm

My one and only visit was in the mid 1980s. It was bad enough then and I dread to think what it is like now.

It must rate as one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I remember as a child listening to Two Way Family Favourites every Sunday lunchtime with Jean Metcalf, and Cliff Michelmore, ect. one of whom was often in Gibraltar extolling the virtues of the hot, sunny weather, the smooth glistening sea and the golden beaches and it built up a hugely romantic idyll in my mind.

The reality was somewhat different and I couldn't get out of the place quickly enough and as far as I am concerned the President (Prime Minister) is welcome to it.
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 pm

You will find it much changed. Nicer shops, still the cigs and booze shops but higher up Main Street there are some quality shops. I admit I wouldn't like to live there, too crowded but there are a lot worse places to spend a day including many Spanish pueblos. Lots to see and do unless just going for the duty free.Nice restaurants on the New Marina too.

Of course the UK doesn't need Gibraltar but they can hardly just hand it over to Spain when the residents voted almost 100% to stay with the UK. The place is self sufficient and it's national debt is around 6% only.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 10, 2015 8:47 pm

katy wrote:Of course the UK doesn't need Gibraltar but they can hardly just hand it over to Spain when the residents voted almost 100% to stay with the UK. The place is self sufficient and it's national debt is around 6% only.
True,

Although It was a bit of a disappointment to me too the first time I went there. The last few times I have driven down to Andalucia I haven't even bothered to go.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Just had a glance at Trip Advisor. There are around 1600 general reviews and the rating is four and a half out of five stars.

950 rate it excellent
454 good
144 average
40 poor
30 terrible.

There are 47 things listed to do

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Manchesteral wrote:I'm with Beachcomber on this, Gibraltar is of absolutely no value to the U K whatsoever !
I would agree except for defence where it must be hugely important even if the basing of Trident story was a red herring.

Last time we went with friends , I couldn't wait to get away . The Guardia must have sensed that. :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Gibraltar is and has been a very strategic base for the UK,and in my opinion it would be a great loss if ever it was 'handed back to Spain'.
Beachcomber, I'm surprised that you could make such adverse comments about a place that you visited 30 years ago, it has been 'seedy' but not so now, it is much improved.
I've had associations with Gibraltar for more than 50 years and I have much admiration for the place and the people.

Regards,
Gordon
ps I'm not keen on the apes though !. :shock:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 11, 2015 10:04 am

It is a typically expat thing though of not liking Gibraltar. Not sure why. Perhaps they only do the bottom of Main Street thing and Morrisons. Lots of history, Roman baths, Trafalgar Cemetary, Botanical gardens, Siege Tunnels etc.

Reading through this I had a vision of appeasing expats leaving the border and almost apologising to the Guardia for visiting :lol: :lol: