most boring election in the world

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

most boring election in the world

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 am

I know we have only had the exit polls, so far, but it seems as if the British voter is not going for UKiP, after all. It seems the British do want to be in the EU and are perfectly happy with their lot in life. As fully-fledged Europeans, British people living in Spain, that must be a nice thought for us all to wake up to later this morning. No?

PS Where is JWhite now that we need her thoughts on UKiP?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: most boring election in the world

Postby markwilding » Fri May 08, 2015 6:38 am

Not Correct,
The Conservatives have almost won. It is predicted they will be one short of an overall majority and that extra vote will be given by UKIP.

An EU referendum is on the cards.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 08, 2015 7:07 am

If you live in the UK it will be the best result.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 08, 2015 8:05 am

Which particular bit is not correct, Mark? :crazy: Yes, it's a good result for those living in the UK and not bad for the exchange rate. either. I might go out and buy something expensive today and pay with my Nationwide card. :lol: Shame about Labour ... I don't think. :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 08, 2015 8:36 am

I don't know what you were expecting regarding UKIP but not many were, apart from UKIP themselves, that they would win many seats.

As far as the election is concerned, I wouldn't call it boring. More permutations there couldn't have been and nobody expected the Conservatives to achieve absolute majority, even just an hour ago, which now a strong possibility.

Personally, I think the result is a disaster for the UK and hope they will slowly lose the majority during the term.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 am

markwilding wrote:I don't know what you were expecting regarding UKIP but not many were, apart from UKIP themselves, that they would win many seats.
They may not have won many seats, but they were certainly responsible for getting rid of the odious Balls.

Farage deserves a knighthood for that. :D :D

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 08, 2015 9:05 am

I don't think it was boring. A good result considering the elephant in the room(SNP). UKIP didn't do too bad considering a lot of tactical voting went on due to the fear of a Lab/SNP Government. They have come second in a lot of places and took votes from Labour too. The odious Vince Cable has gone and Ed Balls too :lol: now have to look for the EU to eat itself....hopefully.

Have to say I admire the Cranky even though the policies stink. She is brilliant!

Just heard Galloway has gone too, gets better :thumbup:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 08, 2015 9:16 am

Vince Cable was my MP,boring old man who's been in the job far too long.
We've now got a Conservative lady MP,young,good looking.a local GP, and she was everywhere during the campaign.
Good result,2000 more votes than VC.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 08, 2015 9:21 am

I wonder what Miliband is going to do with his tablet of stone.
One thing is certain,it won't be in the back garden of 10 Downing St.
Any suggestions where he can put it?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri May 08, 2015 9:23 am

Farage gets 3 million of votes and 1 seat. SNP Jock bird gets 1.5 million and gets 50 plus seats. How can that be right?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 08, 2015 10:02 am

katy wrote:
Have to say I admire the Cranky even though the policies stink. She is brilliant!

:
In my opinion she was too good and literally frightened people off in England. I think labour couldn't distant themselves from her and for me that was important. In the end it's all about policy and for me the SNP's progressive left worried the influential centre right and left voters.

I know I disagreed with much of what she was saying.

I would hope that Milliband resigns and a new more centralist leader is elected and they don't make the same mistake they made in the early eighties and lurch to the left.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 08, 2015 10:07 am

Well, of course it's not right, Costakid. The first-past-the-post system worked all right in the days when there were only two parties. As more parties were formed during the last century and drew support it was obvious the system needed to have an overhaul and reflect the new political landscape. The two biggest parties have no interest in changing a system that, largely, works for them. Many people say it leads to 'strong' government but that's not apparent in reality, in my opinion. There was a referendum not so long ago ... a vague question about the worst form of PR or STV that no one understood and so the vote was a resounding "No!" Hardly surprising.

Change will have to come eventually. How to make a democratic voting system work that gives equal weight to every vote should not be an option but a right. Many other countries mange it. Britain is a little frightened of democracy but they need not worry. The electorate is not as stupid as some newspapers, and polls, would have us all believe. The results of this election demonstrate that. However, there will be a lot of voters from smaller parties wondering at the patently unfair, undemocratic and unequal way Britain elects its representatives. I'm waiting for one of them to take the whole thing to the EU Equal Opportunities Commission. :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 08, 2015 10:12 am

Even more significant is the fact that UKIP has just over a third of the number of votes that the Conservatives have but they only have one seat as opposed to the Conservatives 320 seats meaning that nearly four million voters are represented by only one MP.
Let's go Brandon!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 08, 2015 10:37 am

I would imagine that the Labour Grandees are rueing the day that Ed got the leadership over David- a far more charismatic leader.

sad to see some faces go- Danny Alexander for example. I am sure his memoirs will be interesting reading.

UKIP votes. Bit of a farcical scenario having one or possibly two MPs to show for 4 million votes. In the unlikely event of a referendum (not in the Tory Grandees interests so won't happen) you can be assured that there will be a high turnout of those 4 million unlike the rest of the voting population who will manage maybe 75%.

It will be interesting to see how Cranky manipulates politics on behalf of the Scots. Maybe DC ought to appoint her Deputy PM so he can keep a close eye on her. :lol: More power and more free stuff. Maybe it might just have been better to have had a Yes vote and rebuilt Hadrians Wall.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri May 08, 2015 12:06 pm

"Farage gets 3 million of votes and 1 seat. SNP Jock bird gets 1.5 million and gets 50 plus seats. How can that be right?"

Erm ... because it's first past the post perchance?
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 08, 2015 12:14 pm

I hope those are moaning now were sticking up for the Lib-Dems when they had the same problem.

There was a referendum to change it during the last parliament. No chance of a referendum in this one though.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri May 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Well done, Cameron, an outright majority to govern. the country has spoken. I dreaded the thought of Ed Balls being in charge of the Nation's finances, he couldn't manage a child's piggy bank. The £ is already stronger internationally.
Sandramay

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 08, 2015 3:22 pm

The Tories are always good for the economy. :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri May 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Well I hope that Mr.Cameron keeps his promise of looking after Pensioners, maybe as a goodwill gesture he could restore the Winter Fuel Allowance ?.. :)

And by the way, was Mrs.Cameron wearing a Designer High Viz Fluorescent Vest when they re-entered No 10 ?.
Regards,
Gordon.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri May 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Get with it Gordon ;)))
Sandramay