Pre-retirement options

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pre-retirement options

Postby ChrisM » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:42 pm

With a few years to go before finally 'retiring' (as if!), we'd like to dip our toes into the Costa water and reckon renting an apartment for months at a time shortly after retiring is the most sensible option.

It's a broad question, but does anyone have similar experience/guidance?
Mañana

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Pre-retirement options

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:48 am

I'm not quite retired yet (who knows when) I've resisted buying property in Spain for a number of reasons not least the bureaucracy and legalities involved, I have though rented for various terms in order to fulfill my needs and in my experience the longer you rent for the better deals you can get.
One thing to be aware of is that if you rent for more than a couple of months at a time it can be a nightmare getting your deposit back, Spanish lanlords in particular are loathe to return deposits and I know of a number of people who have been scammed in this manner, for example," you damaged the paintwork, or the carpet" etc and refused to return the deposit ! my friend who spends 5 or 6 months every winter in Gran Canaria always offers to pay the whole rental amount up front without a deposit but including a written contract with the option for the landlord to inspect the premises a week or two before his lease is up, any small repairs if needed can be dealt with then, take note of this advice, it's not an uncommon practice !

ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Pre-retirement options

Postby ChrisM » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks for that - very useful advice. Forewarned and all that!
Mañana