The Beer Diet

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

The Beer Diet

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:41 pm

I've put on 7lbs in eight years and that's more than enough. After careful research, I have put it down to sugar-laden soft drinks and even 'natural' fruit juices. After much dithering and blocking supermarket aisles while reading every drinks label for sugar content, I came to the conclusion that non-alcoholic beer was the answer. I don't think I'm alone in this as our local supermarkets have aisles of the stuff this year whereas just a few years ago there was not a blue tin in sight. The choice is also pretty impressive (while in the UK recently there was only a choice of 'Becks' or nada). I'm learning to like the taste and have less craving for sweet stuff now but ... will non-alcoholic beer give me one of them there men's tummies? You know - the ones that overspill the trouser belts. Please advise ...

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: The Beer Diet

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:16 pm

I have a tummy that overspills my trouser belt and it is all down to beer, the alcoholic kind. It's the only thing that quenches my thirst and I drink a lot of it, particularly in the next two months. My local Spanish bar, which I visit every night [except Monday], has even got in pint glasses just for me. The locals are bemused that I can drink from such a large glass, and even more bemused that I down the first of the night in a couple of minutes.

On the plus side I'm still fit and work on the land most days in some form or another, so I feel I've earned it.

But to answer the original question; it's not the alcohol that puts on the weight!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 pm

The choice of NA beer here in the UK is quite large and seems to be growing. I think we've a member of A.com who actually distributes NA beers and drinks so maybe he will see this thread and give some prof. comments.

I personally don't touch O% alcohol stuff, If I'm driving I'd rather have water or a Coke. It always seems a bit like the Quorn veggies who need their food shaped like meat sausages and burgers, always baffles me that one :mrgreen:

I have a few Carsberg every night and have zero "overhang" as I hope people on here who've met me will kindly confirm :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Lavanda, You will probably get an 'overbelt tum' if you drink too much beer, with or without alcohol..!

Better to drink con-gas agua, you feel as if you have had a drink with a lot less calories !.
But watch the tapas...very nice but will pile the pounds on.. :D

Cheers,
Gordon

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:50 pm

no alcohol beer what a waste of money "cerveza por favor"

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:05 pm

My favorite (In Spain) is San Miguel export, yum yum !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have never drunk beer before about two weeks ago so can't really comment on the taste or what it does to a person when the beer is alcoholic. The blue tin stuff is quite nice as it's really thirst-quenching and is not sweet. Obviously water has to be the best thing to drink in this heat but pints of it are a bit boring. ajtg1952, if it's not the alcohol that puts on the weight then which ingredient does pile on the tums?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:57 am

Calories and sugar! Do a Google Search for chapter and verse. As many calories in a pint of beer as in a Mars bar!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:53 pm

That's outrageous! I spent ages looking at labels. I have a tin of San Miguel 0,0 in front of me now (unopened). The label says that for every 100ml there are 24 kcals. That's 24. Mars bars are in the 100s. The Fat is 0. The Saturate Fat is 0. The Carbohydrate is 5.6. The Sugar in that 5.6 is 1.7. The Protein is 0.03 and the salt is 0.010.

Am I missing something?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:33 pm

The label says that for every 100ml there are 24 kcals
So a 33 cl can has about 75? Not bad. I was on iced tea when I could get it with sweetener. Recently I can't find it so I'll stick to wine.
Dave

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Lavanda,
"Am I missing something?".........a bottle opener.......... :D

You did well to only put on 7lbs in 8 years...........OH can do that in 7 days.......... :shock: on daughters cooking.

Enjoy your 0.0, some good ones out there..Came across a Galicia 0.0 the other day very smooth.
I got the taste of 0.0 after reading johnr's Blog and finding some great German 0.0's back in UK.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:35 pm

I cannot remember all the details but its like.
The sugar on the label has nothing to do with beer as there is no added sugar in same.
The sugar in beer is part of the fermenting process wherby the natural sugar in the grain makes the dreaded alcohol,this is calories as its not added and does not need to be labelled as its natural chemical process.
The reason the weight comes is a person will not use the fat in food until all of this beer calories is used up.
The best example I can give is, people who drink way too much are never overweight because they are unable to consume normal food to put fat on.
Best advise I can give drink more cerveza and stop eating.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:58 pm

I drink loads of still water (about 2 litres a day now in this heat) and don't usually like any fizzy drinks. I do like real ale which isn't too fizzy and have the occasional Radler which is refreshing .... a low alcohol beer with lemon juice.

When I can't take any more plain water I have Robinsons squash which is all no-sugar now and has only about 4 calories per serving. I bought a selection from Arkwrights last time I was there and they are fairly acceptable and much lower in calories than natural fruit juices, although I'm sure I can detect the sweetener they use but it's better than drinking loads of sugar.

ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:50 pm

There are nicer ways to save calories than NA booze. The important thing is to enjoy yourself!
Mañana

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Mercadona have alcohol free wine, cider and Tinto de Verano. Taste nicer than Sin.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Lidl Es has a lager,don't remember the name as I'm in Uk,at about 7% ABV
Not as mind blowing as Kestrel,Tennents Extra etc that you can buy in Uk but 3 tins will cure insomnia.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Won't three tins make you wake up wanting to pee after a couple hours of sleep? It does my OH!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 pm

Getting back to Sin...

Cobra in the UK, is not bad.

Much bigger choice in Spain I will admit. I sometimes have one in the afternoon when out in September.

anyroads

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Lavanda wrote:Won't three tins make you wake up wanting to pee after a couple hours of sleep? It does my OH!
3 tins will make you sleep like a top.
Tell OH to have really good pee before bpassing out.