Spain tourism boom 2016?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spain tourism boom 2016?

Postby Lavanda » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:54 am

"The beauty of terrorism" is that it terrorises people into changing their lives and plans in the hope of staying "safe". That's going to become increasingly impossible. However, don't forget that most accidents happen in the home :yawn: zzzzzzzzzzz

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:31 am

Agree,
There were around 1,700 fatalities from road accidents in the UK in 2013. It doesn't stop us from getting back in our cars.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Looking at the calibre of many of the people returning from Sharm it won't put them off. After Xmas most will have forgot about the two serious terrorist attacks in Tunisia and move their holiday there :roll: can't believe they actually went to Egypt after all the attacks, stuck in guarded hotels in a purpose built resort and not safe to go anywhere...and that was before the plane went down. Probably better if they don't visit Spain :mrgreen:

Hardly think it's a yawning matter though, unless you and your loved ones never travel :roll: wouldn't stop me flying but I wouldn't be travelling to anywhere in the Middle East. Don't fancy drifting down from 35,000ft with half the aircraft missing, rather die in the kitchen!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Anyway, why come on and post at 2am to say it's a yawn, best to get some sleep and just join the threads that interest you.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Katy you misunderstood what the yawn was referring to — not terrorism, of course not, but the mundane fact that more people are killed in their own homes doing mundane tasks than anywhere else. Sounds like I'm sharper at 2.00am than you are at 15.06. (And what I need now is a Smilie blowing a little kiss).

ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisM » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Re the thread title: it's impossible to predict such things. I've spent the bulk of my career in airlines and hotels and one adverse geopolitical event becomes a game changer.

Having said that, it needs to be a headline grabber. Sharm is relatively unsafe (remember 2005?) but people have been flocking out there for years, and there have been a number of attacks on tourists in other parts of Egypt over the years. Holidays in Sharm are relatively cheap for a reason.

As for airport security: I started my stint at Heathrow in '88 when I was able to walk airside by waving a plastic ID. When I left in '97 the security was far tighter.

But it's all relative, geographically and airport-wise. Heathrow is quite secure, but El Al's security at LHR is much tighter than anyone else's.

However, there's no such thing as perfect security.
Mañana

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:37 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:I can never understand this fear of Arabs. I have spent the majority of my working life working with Arabs. I have worked in every country in the middle east. I had 2 passports so I could move from Israel to Gaza easily. I was in Beirut the night Terry Waite was kidnapped, watched a cruise missile coming up a road in Baghdad, under the telephone lines, during the first Iraq war and watched patriot missiles taking out scuds from the top floor of the Hilton in Tel Aviv. So I have good reason to be apprehensive.

But in 37 years I never once felt insecure. To this day, if the opportunity arose, I would go back. The only place I've every felt a tad worried is in Manchester. Now that is a dangerous place.
I think you have said it all. Perhaps you have been lucky, obviously otherwise you wouldnt be here to tell the tale. When you have seen all that and you do not feel apprehensive! :shock: Mmmmmmmmm no thanks. I will stick to Europe :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"