Retirement, Gran Canaria

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Retirement, Gran Canaria

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 am

Obviously we go by the colour to make sure we are putting the correct fuel into the tank but I don't think you are correct.
Gasolina is Petrol and Gasoil or Diésel is Diesel

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 am

Eroski call their diesel "gasóleo". "Gasolina" is petrol.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 am

I go by the colour too (ie black) and knew it began 'gas .....' ..... I've not yet put petrol into the diesel tank :lol: Perhaps the price difference between petrol here and GC is greater as it can be a lot more expensive than diesel.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:12 pm

peteroldracer wrote:If he spends his summers in Torremolinos (Spain) and winters in Gran Canaria (Spain) he will have to very clever to avoid becoming resident.... :roll:
To Clarify, I'll be a tourist 3 weeks here a month there, two months in England etc, I'll befinitely be spending less that 183 days a year out of the UK.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 pm

I think Peter is saying, spending 183 days in one calendar year in Spain makes you liable to pay Spanish tax on your worldwide earnings.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Correct Mark: the time out of the UK is less critical than ensuring one spends less than 183 days in Spain in a calendar year (including time spent travelling to it from your domicile) if tax residency in Spain is to be avoided.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:30 pm

markwilding wrote:I think Peter is saying, spending 183 days in one calendar year in Spain makes you liable to pay Spanish tax on your worldwide earnings.
Thanks, I'm aware of the tax and residencia implications which is why I've never and never will consider becoming resident anywhere other than the U K, everything I own is there and it will always be that way and I don't need to sell anything to fund a basic holiday lifestyle elsewhere for a few months at a time.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Just a general query, what's form 720 ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Form 720 refers to the requirement to declare certain assets outside Spain if you are a Spanish tax resident.

Have a look here

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30699

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks Sid, I have repeatedly stated that I will "never" become a Spanish resident, but thanks for the info, perhaps I should never say "never", Though I can't for the life of me come to terms with the government of a foreign country trawling through assets that have taken me a lifetime to aquire :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:07 pm

It's not the assets they are trawling through, it's looking for the undeclared income from those assets.

It's no different in the UK, as anyone who has been subject to an HMRC tax investigation will tell you.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Sorry, gas is gasolina, in Spain, as you may know if you spend any time there !.I can't find where I mentioned Diesel !!
It's gasoleo. Americans call it gas. I do spend a bit of time here. Twelve years as resident come February.
Dave

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Gasóleo, not gasoleo.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks for correction. Gasóleo it is.
(Every time Windows 10 does an update, my keyboard defaults to English. I also on occasion lose sound and have to re-set. Skype too sometimes decides not to work).
Dave

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Yes Manchesteral I agree with you, we have grown accustomed to HMRC but it must be a total nightmare dealing with the tax authorities of another country, especially Spain.

Call me naive but I really struggle with the concept of paying the majority of my tax to a country other than UK. I am British, was raised in UK, educated in the UK, earned my living in UK and I suspect die in the UK and therefore UK should get my tax. I am definitely a greater than 183 days in the UK person. I do pay what tax I should in Spain, enjoy travelling but I am a Brit through and through.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

While I understand that if you don't reside in Spain for more 183 days you don't need to pay the tax.
However, anybody going to live in a different region to Andalcia should be careful because the rules vary depending on which autonomous region you live in

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm

Len S wrote:Yes Manchesteral I agree with you, we have grown accustomed to HMRC but it must be a total nightmare dealing with the tax authorities of another country, especial

Call me naive but I really struggle with the concept of paying the majority of my tax to a country other than UK. I am British, was raised in UK, educated in the UK, earned my living in UK and I suspect die in the UK and therefore UK should get my tax. I am definitely a greater than 183 days in the UK person. I do pay what tax I should in Spain, enjoy travelling but I am a Brit through and through.
It's actually irrelevant to you anyway because you don't seem to be liable to pay Spanish income tax anyway but your post doesn't make any sense.
If someone lives and works in Spain, they should pay taxes here because they are using the services here. Being British has nothing to do with it.

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Mark, my post might not make any sense to you but it does to me. Please note that I said that I earned my living in the UK, indicating that I no longer earn a living, I am retired. As a result I can live wherever I wish. I wish to be based in the UK; I could be based in Spain as I have a property there but one of things that would preclude that is that I want to pay the bulk of my tax in UK. I spend a lot of time travelling hence the word "based". Have you got it now?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Mowser wrote:
Sorry, gas is gasolina, in Spain, as you may know if you spend any time there !.I can't find where I mentioned Diesel !!
It's gasoleo. Americans call it gas. I do spend a bit of time here. Twelve years as resident come February.
Sorry about that Dave, I was given to understand that petrol in Spain is called "Gasolina" am I wrong ? anyone else shed any light on this.

Try as I might I can't find where I posted the word diesel on my original post !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Len S wrote:Mark, my post might not make any sense to you but it does to me. Please note that I said that I earned my living in the UK, indicating that I no longer earn a living, I am retired. As a result I can live wherever I wish. I wish to be based in the UK; I could be based in Spain as I have a property there but one of things that would preclude that is that I want to pay the bulk of my tax in UK. I spend a lot of time travelling hence the word "based". Have you got it now?

Len, I'm now in a similar position, all my mortgages are paid off and I have a pretty decent income so I can basically go where I like within reason so I don't see any need for relocating permanently.