update

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
wollie
Resident

update

Postby wollie » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:37 am

can anyone just give a quick update on the government in spain and the likelihood of new government being formed, if this were to happen the likelihood of formation of same.
I am hoping I will not be directed to a forum as the last time I looked at this there was no sign of a government being formed.
I also like to know the deadline and if new election when this likely to take place, I think I remember they had 60 days to form a government and that is way gone I am sure..

many thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: update

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:39 pm

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:42 pm

It's looking almost certain that there will be a new general election on 26th of June, No party can find enough friends to form a coalition.

Opinion are polls suggesting that the outcome of a summer election will be broadly the same as in December, threatening more inertia. :(

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:39 am

thanks for replies as I have a better idea as to what's happening.
by the way has it had any real effect on the day to day running of things?

regards...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 am

No. Everything goes on as normal as all governments are just the figureheads and the real day-to-day stuff is done by the civil service who are permanent. However, there is no new legislation because that is introduced, debated and passed in to law by the government and, so far, there isn't one. The PP are, nominally, the 'government' as they haven't be replaced by another but they can't legislate either. Should there be an emergency meeting somewhere then Rajoy would go to represent Spain but his word may not have much power behind it — I'm not sure about that.

My Spanish friends think there will be another election in the summer. They further think that the young voters are the ones supporting Podemos and one friend suggested that no one should be able to vote until they are 25 years old and have passed a basic test in politics, i.e. who the parties represent and what they want to do if they get power, etc. Further, another friend said that the young do not understand history and shouldn't be allowed to vote until they are 30, at least. I said nothing. :?

The infighting among Podemos may lose them votes the next time around, says a lawyer friend. One half of Podemos wants an agreement with the PSOE to get power at the cost of dropping the promised referendum for Catalonia and the other half do not want to compromise the election promises they made. Maybe Podemos will implode and become two parties or maybe they'll just be a mess. :?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 am

there has always being an association with voting/working/paying taxes..
I am assuming on the basis of what you are saying that your middle aged? possibly comfortable well to do friends will give these ignorant kids financial support while they attain a level of competence they need... you should ask them?
it is my generation who have screwed up and I personally think its time for a shift in direction in Europe.
problem if there is in-fighting with the people who are principle promoters of change in direction it will not happen..

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 pm

I think young people are the key for change in Spain. They are just as affected by the Spanish system as anybody else but they find some of the stuff that has gone on in the past unacceptable and want change.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi Wollie. My friends do support their children well into adulthood and beyond. What happens outside the village I have no idea. I can only pass on the views of Spanish people living in my village.I think their views are valid as Spain is their native country. Don't shoot the messenger and if you don't want feedback from the Spanish then I won't post it.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:44 pm

I would doubt that you hold that view.

But that's also the problem with village life in Spain. Attitudes change too slowly and get stuck in the past. I have to say I've never heard anybody express the view that young people shouldn't vote until the are 25 or 30 because they don't understand history.You could also say that these older people don't understand the present

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 pm

No I don't hold that view but the older people in my village are extremely fed-up with the impasse of not having a government and blame uneducated and younger voters for supporting the new parties, especially Podemos. This is from a staunchly PSOE village and a traditionally left part of the world.

Young people may be the key for change in Spain but I don't think so. Experience is the key for change.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Lavanda wrote:Hi Wollie. My friends do support their children well into adulthood and beyond. What happens outside the village I have no idea. I can only pass on the views of Spanish people living in my village.I think their views are valid as Spain is their native country. Don't shoot the messenger and if you don't want feedback from the Spanish then I won't post it.

Lavanda,
sorry if my attempt at sarcastic humour came out wrong, I am genuinely interested in this topic and the views of all concerned.
personally I would like to see young people get something like the opportunities that was there for me, I am well into middle age and anyone under 20 would say I am old.
keep it coming as different opinions in my mind does not mean that anyone is necessarily wrong...

to finish..
The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything. Oscar Wild

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:44 pm

One of the many things that I like about Spain is the fact that I can have friends of all ages, no ageism and so I have discussed many of the current problems with all and although they have slightly differing views they are all unanimous in their wish to see much fairer systems regarding employment/taxation etc., and they worry that the gap between rich and poor is getting bigger.
I am an amateur historian and I can tell you from my experiences that many young people are now interested in their history and asking questions that a few years ago would have been taboo, the age group 30-50 seem to be quite clued up and most of the old people just want to forget, understandable after what they went through in the 30/40/50's.

I've never been too worried about how people dress, particularly politicians but I now find I can't trust or be interested in some, like the long haired scruff who wears his Dads old shirts and has sweaty armpits and his young mate who looks as if he's playing truant from school,however they probably have some excellent ideas but not the experience to implement them.Perhaps I'm just getting crusty in my old age...because everyone is younger than me..... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon...

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:11 pm

The 16 year olds in Scotland got the vote for the referendum. Totally engaged, breath of fresh air re-stimulated, the oldies, very knowlegable and made extra efforts to learn. The whole country became engaged, young, old, on both sides. 2 years of it.
They proved wrong the ones who said 'they know nuffin'
It was the adults who had stopped voting or who never had. The youngsters brought them back.
Brilliant!!