Weather

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Weather

Postby lmj56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:36 pm

South Wales 33.5 today. Hottest day this year and for a long time, clouding over now ready for thunderstorms tomorrow. Was a bit like Spain today!

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:54 pm

costakid wrote:If your in Spain in the summer surely you don’t need a weather warning unless you have a very small brain. Do they warn that its going to cold in Sweden in January.
It is called "the weather forecast" In the UK you certainly get weather forecasts which tell of bad weather snow etc, why not in warmer climates to say if it is going to be warmer than usual. Forewarned is forearmed. :D
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Third of the trains coming out of London were cancelled today. Apparantley the rails were too hot!!
Wrong type of heat maybe?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Well obviously things happen in extreme heat, that is common knowledge and of course it will have an affect. That is why forearmed is forewarned. You should even use different tyers on the car if the weather is very hot the same as for very cold. Having a weather forecast is very helpful. You know to go out very early to do the shopping etc etc :thumbup:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Some people just can't help themselves to stupid comments. No wonder we have a lack of new posters or old members that just don't bother anymore.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 pm

swerve wrote:Some people just can't help themselves to stupid comments. No wonder we have a lack of new posters or old members that just don't bother anymore.
Not stupid! Who needs telling its dangerous if the temp is over 35 and your old. Not a Spaniard thats for sure

PATRICIA: Winter tyres are compulsory in Germany after November but there worthless if its over 6 degrees. Summer tyres? Thats a new one

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 am

In the north of Spain, especially near the coast, weather forecasts are definitely required since the weather can vary enormously. If it becomes very hot, there is the possibility of electric storms, which can be dangerous. Once I even saw a mini tornado coming off the sea. They call it a ' galerna' and its unique to this part of Spain and France

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerna

Very hot in Ireland today as well.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:12 am

lmj56 wrote:Third of the trains coming out of London were cancelled today. Apparantley the rails were too hot!!
Wrong type of heat maybe?
That always seems to happen when there is exceptionally hot weather in the UK. I well remember the last time I had to travel from Manchester to London in 2006, on what happened to be the hottest day of that year. On the return journey, the rails were buckling due to the heat so they cancelled every alternate service to allow for the trains to run more slowly - which meant, of course, that the trains which did run were even more overcrowded than usual. The air-conditioning was broken in the carriage I was in, and the buffet car ran out of bottled water half an hour into the journey. It was absolutely awful and I felt sorry for the people I saw having to travel yesterday.

Using public transport here in the hot weather is an absolute pleasure, I don't think in 10 years I have ever caught a bus or a train on which the air-conditioning wasn't working.

I don't suppose the holidaymakers here are liking the grey, cloudy skies too much but as far as we're concerned we're enjoying the unusually cool weather for July. For the last two nights I haven't needed to sleep with the fan on, it's been so cool.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:53 am

Looking like the hot weather in uk is sending everyone mad. Stabbings and such.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:39 am

Hot weather can make people irritable and grumpy and some people can go over-the-top. The weather forecast here is indispensable. Extremadura is pretty big with variations in temperatures between north and south, sometimes, to up to 15ºC. When it's 40ºC in the south people head up to the north and the snow-melt natural pools in the shade of the Gredos Mountains. The forecast always has sun warnings, ray warnings, sun factor advice and so forth. It's more than a forecast it's a public information service. I think visitors and tourists find it helpful.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:17 am

Yes it is hot in Spain in the summer but extremes should be warned about. The other day it was over 40 in the north of Spain which is unusual, and prolonged spells of extremely hot weather, even down in the south, can be dangerous. Just before we moved to France in 2003 there was a heatwave (canicule) there that the government say caused nearly 15,000 deaths, particularly in the elderly. As in cold weather, when family and neighbours are asked to look out for the elderly, then the same applies to heatwaves when it is so important that people stay hidrated.

It is so much cooler this year, and cloudy too ....... long may it last! Our cats obviously are aware of the dropping temperatures as they felt the need to all snuggle up to us on the bed at night over the past few nights :(

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Wicksey wrote:France in 2003 there was a heatwave (canicule) there that the government say caused nearly 15,000 deaths, particularly in the elderly. :(
The death toll was not helped by the stupidity of letting virtually all the medical staff be on holiday at the same time. Similarly it is not a good idea to be ill in Spain during August - timing is everything!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Very odd weather today. It started off cloudy and pleasantly cooler than usual. We even had a few spots of rain, there was quite a lot around on the Weather Radar. It brightened up later but was still about 27ºc at 2.15. Then it all went very odd. The temperature went up very rapidly to 40.9ºc by 3pm. That's the hottest we have had since I started recording the weather 12 years ago.

20 minutes later it was down to 28ºc. Very odd!

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Sid

that is similar to the range change I experienced yesterday. It dropped by 10 degrees (but my measuring equipment isn't sophisticated like yours) in just a few minutes but half an hour later was hot again. It would be interesting to know where the cooler air had been. With fronts you can physically see the demarcation between cold/warm or wet/dry. Here it was just heat haze everywhere and overcast.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Yesterday was hot — the usual high 30ºC — but we had three very loud claps of thunder around 23.15, loud enough to wake the proverbial dead. That was it. This morning was faintly overcast and we had five huge drops of rain per sq.m. and no more. It's hot now but with a stiff breeze that feels quite cool. How can the breeze be cool but the air be hot? Normally the breeze is like a fan assisted oven.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Well I am lovely and cool thank you and long may it reign or should I say rain. I drove up to Competa, very cloudy but cool. The coolest I have ever felt in July. Lovely sea breezes coming in through the window, have not even had to wind out the awning :D

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi patricia,

Guess you're a cool chick then............ 8)

Just don't come any further inland.........at least up here you can save some kilowatts by not using the hair dryer, just stick your head out of the bathroom window............... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Haha Definitely :D

Never use the hair dryer in the summer, far too hot, just wash and leave, dries nice and smooth, apart from my quiff and that is a quick 10 seconds :thumbup:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:09 pm

That wind narf got up around our way this afternoon. I was put on washing line duty. Had to keep an eye on the pillow cases.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 pm

:lol: