Star Spotting

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Star Spotting

Postby firsttango » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Unless you're like Huge Grunt who was drunk and bought a painting at an auction and sold it for an £11 million profit six yrs later....I'd love a piece of "useless" like that

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... rofit.html

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi Stevemul,
Thanks for post the Picture , looking on the big screen I can see where the artist is coming from.......

He's been reading a colour magazine on a wet surface, gone away and when returns lifts said magazine and parts of it have stuck to the counter top .................I've done it myself didn't class it as art at the time, just a nuisance to scrap off, but I shall look on it in a new enlighten way next time..... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:03 pm

So you don't wear clothes, use household artefacts, even live in a house, caravan, tent, whatever. You never give your partner jewellery, choose a birthday card, buy or wrap a present. You never watch a film or the TV and you don't listen to music. You don't drive a car or get in a bus or train, never mind a boat. You don't take, or look at photos, or maps, or magazines or even how this web site you are currently posting on looks and functions. You certainly don't choose a book by it's cover, do you. Sorry, Manchester, but you should try thinking about what Art is. It's not just hung in Galleries, you know. It is absolutely, completely fundamental to everything. EVERYTHING.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:58 am

Hi,

"In the end all art is quite useless".........Oscar Wilde

Like any quote taken out of context need the rest for it to make sense..............

A bit deep for us that skim over life.............. " O, had I but followed the arts! instead of mechanical engineering"
.......bit of Shakespeare..bit of Enrique.......... :)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:10 am

Art and painting is as old as man himself. I have never been a great lover but sometimes I like to try to understand the thoughts behind a piece, which most people would consider a load of old rubbish.
Having said that, I found it difficult to understand an exhibit I saw recently of a load of sweets thrown on the floor which people could take so it was constantly changing.

In the end art is subjective and each to his own.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:43 am

Strictly in keeping with the thread title :wink: it's nearly time for the Perseid show:

http://www.space.com/32868-perseid-mete ... guide.html

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:22 pm

My OH laughs at my optimism each August as I try to sit outside (getting bitten to pieces in the process) and hopefully watch for shooting stars. Last year I saw one huge one. I sat in the pool last year with just my head out of the water, but there's a limit to how long I can do that before turning wrinkly (even more so :lol: ) Unfortunately our garden is a dangerous place after dark so we can't sit outside which is a shame on these summer evenings (and we have tried every type of insect repellent on the market to no avail).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Wicksey. Have you considered a pop up gazebo? They only take minutes to erect. You can get flyscreens to fit the four sides.

I wouldn't recommend leaving them permanently erected as they don't withstand strong winds very well.

You can get them off Amazon and Ebay.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:01 am

I've seen those Olive, but we would have to be able to get into it without taking the flies and biters with us. Our whole house is netted and with a very heavy 'bead' curtain at the door and, whilst we usually keep out flies, we are bitten most nights in the house too. We have those blue light lamps and there are always some of those very tiny biting wotsits stuck on the wires the next morning. I'm sure they ride in on the cats' backs!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:19 am

If you fill a few plastic bags with water — freezer bags are best — tie them up and hang them around doors and windows flies and flying things will not go past the bags. The compound eyes of the flies see their 'reflection', hugely enlarged, in the bags and think that there is a bigger predator than they are in the area/ They do not go close. It sounds potty but it's scientific fact and it works. Good luck.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 pm

How cool does that sound :-) I'm definitely going to try that one !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Lavanda wrote:If you fill a few plastic bags with water — freezer bags are best — tie them up and hang them around doors and windows flies and flying things will not go past the bags. The compound eyes of the flies see their 'reflection', hugely enlarged, in the bags and think that there is a bigger predator than they are in the area/ They do not go close. It sounds potty but it's scientific fact and it works. Good luck.
Is that a similar thing to the bottles of water that are left on the doorsteps in the pueblo? I think they are used to deter cats or dogs from peeing against the door. Sounds an interesting idea!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:42 pm

I think it must be similar. Nearly every doorstep here has the bottles of water, although I used to think it was for dog owners to wash the step with after the dogs had peed. Then I thought, "How would the dog owners know, as the dogs are just booted out of their houses first thing in the morning without the owners." :lol:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi,
In theory the dogs will not pee on clear bottles of water.............hence they(water bottles) sit on doorsteps in the towns.

As for the flies .........locals have been using the filled plastic bags to keep files at bay........have done it myself in the past , but recent years not enough files to warrant this .

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:16 pm

Enrique "As for the flies .........locals have been using the filled plastic bags to keep files at bay........have done it myself in the past , but recent years not enough files to warrant this"

I take it this only refers to Windoze 10 Files? :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:39 am

:lol: glad I'm not the only one to write backwards!

Enrique your flies must have all come here this year .... they are horrendous at our house.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Nicely spotted firsttango............ :D had the right letters........just in the wrong order.....got to be a medical term for this........ :oops:

Wicksey...........sorry to hear your predicament ........when it was bad here /there, put used 2 ltr drinks bottles on the house boundary with some fish bits in the bottom............its a one way fly fest........