Seems quiet this year.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Seems quiet this year.

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:02 am

I keep reading that record numbers are visiting the CDS this year. Are they all going south of the airport? The eastern CDS seems to be quiet. Had 2 days in Malaga this week and even that was unusualy quiet. Rincon and Benajarafe were also quiet this week. May be the lull before the storm with the Feria starting today.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Seems quiet this year.

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:30 am

Nerja is heaving, and has been for the past couple of months. Seems to be much busier than usual this summer.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:37 am

We went to Nerja last week and swore we will not go again in August. It took 35 minutes longer to get there by bus than it usually does as the traffic was so bad (no roadworks or accidents, just very busy) and it was hard to walk down the street in places as it was so crowded.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Yes that's how we have found it. We have only been for essential visits (optician etc) and on some occasions my OH has parked up wherever he could, whilst I dash into where I'm going, then it's straight out and back home again! I have used the underground carpark a couple of times but even on the bottom (3rd) floor down it's been hard to find a spot. We try not to go out much in August but can't always avoid it. On the plus side, Lidl in Torrox was empty yesterday at 4pm ..... bliss!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Don't tell them that

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 pm

costakid, perhaps it was the lull before the storm..Spanish people holding onto their cash ready for the Feria...I do believe that there are more people flocking to Spain this year, i usually leave hotel bookings to a few weeks before travel but this year i noticed them filling up as early as Jan and those with rooms left shot up in price, i haven't seen that for a few years..

We usually rent a 9 seater minibus for our family but even that was double the price this year ( i could have bought an old banger for what the rental cost was) Also the most local airports in my area have seen an increase in flights to Malaga this year..Ryanair introduced flights to Malaga from Newcastle and Monarch from Leeds...Talking of Ryanair and Monarch..they have jumped in early and both are taking bookings for next summer 2017 to Malaga...could be taking bookings for other destinations too but i didn't check...

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:18 am

Torre del Mar is the busiest I've ever seen it!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:54 pm

I reported a few posts back about the extra flights to Malaga this year...i forgot to mention that the flight both coming and going was not full...interestingly my daughter had a conversation with a friend who works in Travel and she told her that the flight seats are there and the demand for them is strong but people are really struggling with accommodation, i guess that ties in with my own experience earlier in the year when searching for hotels and finding many were booked up as early as Jan..Will this mean the covers will slowly start to be lifted off the mothballed apartment blocks and would be half finished hotels? who knows!! Hubby is confident that it will all come right eventually no matter how long eventually may be..because he's Spanish and an optimist. :)