Anyone know what the cost of an X-'Ray at Hospital Velez

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Anyone know what the cost of an X-'Ray at Hospital Velez

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:59 pm

I am amazed that travellers still do not read up on health matters before setting off on holiday. There have been thousands over the year that ask their hotel to get a doctor if they feel ill, then are surprised that it is not a local state GP that comes, but a private doctor with bill pad in hand.
If they are daft enough not to have insurance and end up in a non-state hospital it can run away with thousands of pounds.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:50 am

Dunflittin68 wrote: However we did go to the Clinic in Central Nerja just after we got here for a prescription
Was your husband already ill when you arrived in Spain, then? The reason I ask is that Legionnaires Disease is a notifiable disease and if he contracted it in the UK it should be reported to the public health authorities who would investigate the source to try to prevent an epidemic.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notifiable- ... -to-report

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 am

Just some input:

My Spanish wife went to the state hospital for tests. She was then given an appointment to get the test results 3 months in the future. We dropped in at Lansys private medical centre. Paid 20 Euros for household membership (which gives you a 20% discount for the 4 of us). We then did an appointment to get a second opinion (50 Euros). We were phoned by Lansys 3 days later with the state hospital test results. So 80 days ahead of schedule.
El raton de watford

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:13 am

From your first post, I assume you are a visitor, not a resident.
The system at Nerja central clinic is that visitors with EHIC cards can register for a period of 3 monts at a time, with a 3 month break before registering again.
During the registered period, all treatment is covered by the EHIC card.
Other clinics such as Rincon are private and will assume you will pay and then claim from your " proper" insurance ( as Len S calls it!!)

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:56 am

peteroldracer wrote:I am amazed that travellers still do not read up on health matters before setting off on holiday. There have been thousands over the year that ask their hotel to get a doctor if they feel ill, then are surprised that it is not a local state GP that comes, but a private doctor with bill pad in hand.
If they are daft enough not to have insurance and end up in a non-state hospital it can run away with thousands of pounds.
Just to correct you we did have insurance but as our stay has exceeded 3 months and it was a annual 90 day policy, which only covers stays up to 90 days it is invalid !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 am

So you didn't have insurance......

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 am

Free at Last wrote:
Dunflittin68 wrote: However we did go to the Clinic in Central Nerja just after we got here for a prescription
Was your husband already ill when you arrived in Spain, then? The reason I ask is that Legionnaires Disease is a notifiable disease and if he contracted it in the UK it should be reported to the public health authorities who would investigate the source to try to prevent an epidemic.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notifiable- ... -to-report
No as we have been here for several months and yes Velez already told us that it will be notified to the Spanish Health Authorities and we have already been questioned as to where we have been and no, we don't know where it came from as we never go to big public buildings and only ever go out to shop or visit the occasional bar !

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 am

peteroldracer wrote:So you didn't have insurance......
No..............just !

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:02 am

Stevemul wrote:From your first post, I assume you are a visitor, not a resident.
The system at Nerja central clinic is that visitors with EHIC cards can register for a period of 3 monts at a time, with a 3 month break before registering again.
During the registered period, all treatment is covered by the EHIC card.
Other clinics such as Rincon are private and will assume you will pay and then claim from your " proper" insurance ( as Len S calls it!!)
I didn't know that until we spoke to a friend who confirmed that she registered for 3 months when her husband had an "emergency" with his ear and had to return to the hospital for tests.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 am

http://www.centrosdesalud.net/centro-1165.html

This is the Nerja NHS centro de salud above. It is just off the the main road through the town but is not what I would describe as in the centre of town. There a lot of private doctors about, often with the title including 'centro de salud' (meaning health centre) but the public ones would ask for your EHIC card and not charge you anything (and are usually heaving with people and very hectic from what my friends say that go to the Nerja one regularly).

Yes Dr Bernadette will charge you again if you go back and she would send you to a private XRay clinic which may charge at least 70€ for an ordinary XRay. If you have private travel insurance then you can try claiming any private medical costs back.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:00 am

Wicksey - thanks for the info ! May try the Nerja NHS. After all if I was in the UK I would be using the NHS which we paid for, so just the same as using the EHIC here.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 am

Dunflittin68 wrote:........which we paid for..............
:roll:

Would be great if you reported back on how you get on. I think it is like the UK in my experience that the NHS is great for the very complex stuff but for lesser stuff the clinics and health centres may cost a bit but beats dying while on the waiting list. And in Andalucia these things are not expensive.

Of course you can always do both in parallel as with our recent experience. Best 70 Euros we ever spent.

But good luck with it.
El raton de watford

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:34 am

At the Nerja Health Centre, as discussed by Mrs W as you enter there is a table on the right where there sits voluntary interpreters in the mornings. They are usually very helpful. There is not much English spoken amongst the staff.
Avoid "Urgencias"

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Just been back to Bernadette Veegar in El Morche Mar Y Salud clinic which is private but speaks perfect English (seemed sensible as we needed to discuss going back to the hospital for X-Rays and how to go about it and our Spanish is rubbish at the moment but hoping to take lessons shortly!). Anyway basically she was not happy that the hospital gave him just 5 days worth of antibiotics during his hospital stay for his Legionnaires Disease and gave him no more to come out of hospital with. They gave him a blood test in the hospital before discharge but said it was OK, I must admit I thought it strange to only give him 5 days antibiotics for something as serious as Legionnaires Disease myself. Anyway, she examinated his chest and said there is still signs that his lungs are not clear and has prescribed another course of antibiotics and took another blood test. We asked about the X-Ray and she said if we want to go back to the state hospital in Velez under our EHIC we will need to get a subscription for temporary residency at Torrox Pueblo clinic (which is the nearest for us in Torrox). She said she could arrange the X-Ray but it would be with a private clinic and we would have to pay (she didn't say how much). She wants to see him again on Friday to get the results of the blood test.

I am only updating this thread for information for those that don't know how the private/state system works which we didn't.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Sorry just realised Wicksey already mentioned about Bernadette charging for a private X-Ray to be carried out ! :oops:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:04 pm

The last ordinary XRay my OH had was a couple of years back and I think 70€, so it's up to you as to whether you want to go private and do it all through Bernadette, if you don't mind paying. (I was there myself this morning so must have just missed you!) Her charges are reasonable (we only pay 30€ for a follow up appointment and she doesn't usually charge us when we go back for our blood test results either .... she probably knows we are 'pobre'!) It certainly is a lot quicker and easier if you don't mind bearing the cost of the private treatment. I hope your OH is soon fully recovered ..... I wonder where he caught it?

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Wicksey wrote:The last ordinary XRay my OH had was a couple of years back and I think 70€, so it's up to you as to whether you want to go private and do it all through Bernadette, if you don't mind paying. (I was there myself this morning so must have just missed you!) Her charges are reasonable (we only pay 30€ for a follow up appointment and she doesn't usually charge us when we go back for our blood test results either .... she probably knows we are 'pobre'!) It certainly is a lot quicker and easier if you don't mind bearing the cost of the private treatment. I hope your OH is soon fully recovered ..... I wonder where he caught it?
Well she has charged us 45 euros for each visit, the first one was an examination when she then sent him to hospital because she didn't want to wait to get blood tests results done (good job she did as it turns out!). She charged us 15 euros for a visit to write a prescription, 10 euros for the prescription, so I don't know if that is typical or not. We will be registering for temporary residency to get a follow up X-Ray at the hospital as this should be free under EHIC but as you say it all depends whether you want the convenience of speed and an English speaking doctor or not. We have a friend who has already experienced the Torrox Pueblo Clinic and speaks a little Spanish so she will probably help us out. She was a nurse too in the UK!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Dunflittin68 wrote:We will be registering for temporary residency to get a follow up X-Ray at the hospital as this should be free under EHIC but as you say it all depends whether you want the convenience of speed and an English speaking doctor or not. We have a friend who has already experienced the Torrox Pueblo Clinic and speaks a little Spanish so she will probably help us out. She was a nurse too in the UK!
The Andalucia Health Service has a telephone translation service available in 46 languages, accessible from any public health centre, so a doctor at the Torrox Pueblo Centro de Salud should be able to use that to communicate with you.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/ep-hospi ... uccion.pdf

In addition, at the Hospital Comarcal de La Axarquia they have a very good team of volunteer translators who can help you with an X-ray appointment. They have a desk near the lifts in the main reception area.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:42 pm

It may be worth bearing in mind that the public sector moves at a slower pace than the private. My OH went to the doctor i/c physiotherapy on the 17th, who requested an x-ray. The appointment for this came through for the 5th Sptember, despite us telling them we were not available from the 1st to the 8th. A phone call to the hospital quickly got this moved to early on the 9th.
A private x-ray or MRI I would expect within hours rather than days or weeks.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Free at Last wrote:
Dunflittin68 wrote:We will be registering for temporary residency to get a follow up X-Ray at the hospital as this should be free under EHIC but as you say it all depends whether you want the convenience of speed and an English speaking doctor or not. We have a friend who has already experienced the Torrox Pueblo Clinic and speaks a little Spanish so she will probably help us out. She was a nurse too in the UK!
The Andalucia Health Service has a telephone translation service available in 46 languages, accessible from any public health centre, so a doctor at the Torrox Pueblo Centro de Salud should be able to use that to communicate with you.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/ep-hospi ... uccion.pdf

In addition, at the Hospital Comarcal de La Axarquia they have a very good team of volunteer translators who can help you with an X-ray appointment. They have a desk near the lifts in the main reception area.
Thanks for the info on the translation service by telephone. I did notice the translaters at the bottom of the hospital by the lift when we started using the wards entrance. Before that we were trying to access the wards through the A & E (as we didn't know there was another entrance) and were getting the cold shoulder, the Reception kept pointing to the poster on the wall telling us visitors were only allowed twice per day, instead of which on the wards I was told by the Familiar Liason worker that we could stay 24/7 if we wished.