Nerja - Family Swimming Pools

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mmjjpp

Nerja - Family Swimming Pools

Postby mmjjpp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Hello,

Next month we are going on our first family holiday with our 6 month son and looking forward to visiting Nerja. However, our apartment doesn't have a swimming pool and have read that on some occasions the sea can be rough.

Ar there any outdoor pools in restaurants/bars that will allow paying visitors in exchange for some time in the pool?

We are staying in the centre but happy to walk to somewhere that could accommodate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Nerja - Family Swimming Pools

Postby Lyric » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 pm

I think a couple of the hotels do this someone here will know.
Swimming in the sea at Nerja is not the best idea, the sewage treatment plant does not look finished so the sea has some interesting things in it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:46 pm

I agree with Lyric, the sewage in the sea in Nerja is a big problem and I certainly wouldn't swim in it. Google "Nerja sewage in sea 2016" for more info.
There is a municipal pool but not sure if you have a car or not as it's not right in the centre (although I'm sure a bus will go there). It's near an area called El Zoco on the eastern side of town, Mr Google will find it for you!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:15 pm

There aren't that many hotels in the centre of Nerja which have swimming pools other than small rooftop ones. The Riu Monica is, I believe, adults only since they reopened after refurbishment so that would be no use to a family. The only others I can think of are the Villa Flamenca and the Perla Marina although neither pool is very big and I don't know if they allow non-residents to use them.

As far as I know there isn't an equivalent in Nerja to this place, which is in the village of Frigiliana inland from Nerja, although it would involve you taking a bus or taxi to get there. Friends of ours take their two daughters there when they come out to their holiday home and say it is very good.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... lucia.html

The pool is the village municipal pool and entry costs €2 per person, I think you can stay as long as you wish for that.

The public swimming pool in Nerja is an indoor one.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Just a thought - you say you are arriving next month, but what dates will you be here for? The open air village pools are only open from mid June to mid September so if you are here during the second half of the month there would be no point going to Frigiliana. I've checked the Town Hall website and the pool opened on 18 June this year, but unfortunately it doesn't state the date it will close for the season.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:29 pm

mmjjpp wrote:Hello,

Ar there any outdoor pools in restaurants/bars that will allow paying visitors in exchange for some time in the pool?

We are staying in the centre but happy to walk to somewhere that could accommodate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hotel Nerja Club has a pool and a spa. Not sure if they accept day visitors or not, their web site (changeable to English) is http://www.nerjaclub.com/en/hotel.html A quick Email will answer your questions.
Gerry

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm

The Frigi pool closes at the start of the school year, it is then drained. This may have changed in the six years since I lived there.

Going on to Nerja hotels, Villa Flamenca rings a bell as one that opens it's pool to day visitors.

mmjjpp

Postby mmjjpp » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks to you all for all your responses - we are arriving 11th September. Didn't consider hotels, anyone aware if the Parador Hotel are open to non residents? Am more than willing to buy lunch/drinks whilst we use facilities anywhere!

Great to know about the sea - does that effect all beaches in Nerja or just some in particular?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:36 am

Parador staff are very friendly. If your spending your welcome in most places in Spain. A lot of pools close on the 15th of sept or the first weekend that they get rain after the schools go back in the big cities.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:52 pm

mmjjpp wrote:
Great to know about the sea - does that effect all beaches in Nerja or just some in particular?
I think it is the whole area and Torrox is almost as bad although it does have the luxury of a sewerage works, something that Nerja does not!

The Nerja municipal pool is open all year. My friends use it twice a week throughout the year, so I know it is doesn't shut.

I would have a look on Google at what hotels are going to be near to you and enquire as to whether you can use their pool or not. They should all have an email address so you could try asking now before you go so you can have something lined up for when you get here.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Contacting the hotels and asking them directly is definitely the best thing to do. Another one you could try is the Marinas de Nerja Aparthotel, which has the biggest pool of any in Nerja. It's not in the centre, though, it is at least a 15 minute walk but at least it is all on the flat whereas hotels like the Nerja Club are just as far from the centre but it's all uphill to get there.

http://www.marinasdenerja.com/en/

There just aren't any bars/restaurants with their own pools in Nerja, unfortunately.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:44 pm

Lyric wrote:The Frigi pool closes at the start of the school year, it is then drained. This may have changed in the six years since I lived there.

Going on to Nerja hotels, Villa Flamenca rings a bell as one that opens it's pool to day visitors.
Good idea Lyric, it is nice and friendly there and people can use the pool for the price of a drink.

Very nice to sit there and they have happy hour. Food not bad either if you want to have a snake. :D
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:48 pm

Never had snake, I believe it tastes like gritty chicken :wave:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Hehe snack I meant. :oops: I do not eat meat so even snakes are safe with me :mrgreen:

Also of course they are open all year so problem with their being shut during the time they are here.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:54 pm

I'll have a SMALL one of whatever Patricia is drinking!
Gerry

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Ooops hick up, pardon me! :wink: I meant "should be no problem with their - ie hotel - being shut" :mrgreen: Pass the gin bottle! I have had a hard two weeks in the UK :|