Go Sober For October.!!!!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Go Sober For October.!!!!

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:08 am

First of all I must say that I'm not stating that members of A.Com drink too much....

The Title 'Go Sober for October' is the name of the Promotion for the MacMillan Charity Cancer Support, and what they are requesting is that you give up or cut down your Alcohol consumption for October.
And they would hope that you might make a donation to the charity.

So is it a worthy cause to support, well of course it is.!!!
The MacMillan Organisation do a wonderful job of supporting and caring for cancer patients and their families.

Both Mrs.B and myself are going to sign up to support them, and 2 main reasons for us, first we lost our youngest son,age 21 because a driver was drunk, it was in Spain and a long time ago, but it still seems like yesterday and secondly because we also recently lost our Granddaughter to a rare blood disease, she received fantastic care and attention from all of the Organisations/Hospitals/ involved, so that is our motivation.
I'm sure that everyone reading this will have lost someone they loved and cared about to cancer, so I hope you will support this very worthy cause.

And of course there are the benefits to yourself, including many important health issues helped and hopefully you will sleep better and not snore so much !!!..
Come on then sign up to be a Soberhero, just enter 'Go Sober For October' and 'Read All About It'....

Do you think that you can do without Alcohol for a month ?, quite difficult I guess even for ourselves as it is part of our social culture, but I'm going to try and switch to sin Alchol cerveza, or tonica or agua or green tea ( maybe not the latter ).

Thanks for reading this... :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Go Sober For October.!!!!

Postby IreneD » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:39 pm

My grandson is doing this! Can I put a link here, Gordon? Well, I will......let me know if you want me to delete it. (I have his permission). If anyone would like to donate, that would be great! Click on the link!

https://www.gosober.org.uk/users/joseph-beech

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Whilst supporting MacMillan Organisation who are based in the uk is a very good idea, for those of us who live in Spain and particularly on the Costa del Sol then Cudeca are worth supporting.
See http://www.andalucia.com/entertainment/clubs/cudeca.htm for more information about Cudeca.
I make fairly regular donations to Cudeca and hope that I or my wife never need to use them but it is nice to know they are there and will help if needed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Hello Irene,
Nice to hear from you and of course no problem with your Grandsons link and may we wish him every success... :thumbup:

And what about you, are you going tee-total for October ?

Regards,
Gordon.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello Gerry,
I agree with you about supporting Cudeca and any other cancer Research charities in Spain, or anywhere for that matter.
We also try our best to support the Spanish cancer charities, in fact we did a fun run 2 weeks ago around our village with 600 others, it was more of a fast walk for us and I had to push Mrs. B for the final stretch ! :lol:

However I still feel that we should all try to also support the MacMillan organisation in UK, in our case for all of the historical help given to our family and friends, and of course who knows we might end up back in UK at some point ?...Never say never ....
Regards,
Gordon

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 pm

First time I did magic mushrooms I went from having alcohol daily to totally sober for two years (including champagne at new years eve and what not). After that I have had a routine of trying to stay clear of any drug for at least two years just to see how it is, and so far the only difficult drugs to not use was alcohol, coffee and cannabis (and alcohol was by FAR the most difficult one of these three).

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi Gordon - uummm....no, I don't have my grandson's willpower. :oops: I have given my gs a small donation, it's a great charity. I saw a very moving tribute by the lovely Caroline Aherne where she referred to her Macmillan nurse as her 'angel'. Here's a link if anyone would like to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qckiUxKSI4E

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:29 pm

OK, I'm going to try this as from last night. My consumption for the last ten years has been a bottle per night, so it's gonna be tough. Last night I stayed in and the world didn't collapse, but tonight it's a tapas trail - Diet Coke and Cerveza zero, zero? Watch this space.....

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Well, No Alcohol last night and my hands were steady as a rock this morning !

Day 2...And again tonight 2 small glasses of sin alchol.. :thumbup:

Ashtondav...Well done mate Good to hear that you have taken the pledge !

Abstinence Makes The Heart Go Fonder...Did I just make that up ? :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon