Australian Pension

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
FullCircle

Australian Pension

Postby FullCircle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi there. Could someone please let me know if is possible to apply for an Australian Pension from Spain via local INSS with just an NIE and Spanish Bank Account? Basically, I'm wondering if I need to first get residency before applying for the pension.
Many thanks

flyeogh
Resident

Re: Australian Pension

Postby flyeogh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 am

fullcircle in the hope my very limited and non specific findings might help. You don't say if you have worked in Spain, or anywhere non Australia, or whether your claim is solely against "in Australia" working. A further question is do you pay tax in Spain (which doesn't require residency although normally that would be the case). I'm thinking private pensions.

You probably have it already but just in case: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/sites/ ... 1606en.pdf

Have to say I have looked at this for several nationalities (not Australian) who have worked in several countries and it seems normal to apply in the country in which you last worked and for them to pursue all the bits and pieces from wherever else you have worked. Appreciate that may seem tricky at arm's length. What I never got a clear picture of is how the differing age that you can claim from works out. So in a simple case my Spanish wife (resident in Spain) will apply in the UK as they pay a pension several years earlier than in Spain.

Sorry cannot be precise. Hopefully a down under friend will come along who has done this. Good Luck and do let us know here how you get on. It really will help others as this seems a bit of a mine field :wink:
El raton de watford

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 pm

FullCircle...Welcome to the Forum :wave:

From my experience it is always better to go back to the original source to request information ie contact the Australian Pension Service for their advice, so easy nowadays with the internet.!
Unless you are also going to receive a Spanish Pension you don't really need to involve the INSS..
Hope that this helps..!!
Regards,
Gordon

FullCircle

Postby FullCircle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Thank you for your replies. I haven't worked in Spain. Because Australia has an agreement with Spain, the claim forms for Oz Pension can be taken to the local INSS in Spain who will forward them on my behalf. I was just wondering if Residency had to be approved before the claim is lodged or if it can be done at a later date. I will continue to research. Speaking of INSS, can anyone advise if an appointment has to be made beforehand or if I can just go in unannounced? Thank you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:14 pm

You are advised to make an appointment which can be done online for any INSS office in Spain.

https://sede.seg-social.gob.es/wps/port ... BIS9nQSEh/

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:42 pm

With regard to using the INSS to forward your claim, I honestly believe that you would be better to forward it yourself, they are very 'long-winded' at dealing with 'foreign claims, and you will need loads of paperwork and as for having residency well they may require that.
As for making an appointment, I've been many times without an appointment and not waited very long, but of course it could depend on which office you attend, I've found that the best time to go to the office is after 12.30 ( noon ).
Regards,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Not Australia, Sweden. I have relatives in Sweden one of whom worked half his working life in U K and half in Sweden. The Swedish bit was ok, they paid him into his Swedish bank (he is resident there) But, when it came to claiming the British pension it was a nightmare, the claim form came with a 9 page questionnaire requesting such details as, where had he worked in the UK, how much tax and ss he had paid, where and when etc.
Fortunately for him he is a meticulous (in the extreme) fellow and had saved EVERY piece of paper relating to any job he had ever had, p45's tax papers,wage slips from back in the days when he got an old fashioned pay packet, everything, right down to the c v's, even so his claim (with much to and froing of paperwork) took almost 9 months to complete,and,as a matter of interest he had to make this claim via the Swedish s s sytem, hope the o p gets a good result !!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Hey Manchesteral -your tale of the Swede and his trauma with the British pension office, is the exact opposite to ours - we had to do all that rigmarole for the French side of our pensions with us having to provide to them every scrap of paper work-related, but the UK was just to provide national insurance number, and they provided a full and complete listing of every year back to school!!!! French side took 9 months, the UK side took about 3 weeks, even including the bit where they had to send a bod off to the ARCHIVES as before 1975 has not been computerised!