It's snowing!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

It's snowing!

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 pm

I know it was forecast, but after such a warm day yesterday it was hard to believe it would be snowing down here near to the coast today. 5 degrees outside, so we are all snuggled up in front of the fire (cats have been waiting for me to light the fire all morning!).

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: It's snowing!

Postby gavilan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 pm

zero degrees here (Axarquia Alta) I can see snow showers over the mountains but only the occasional flake down here in the valley ... but like you Wicksey, the log fire is well alight and the cat cosy beside it!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Wicksey wrote:I know it was forecast, but after such a warm day yesterday it was hard to believe it would be snowing down here near to the coast today. 5 degrees outside, so we are all snuggled up in front of the fire (cats have been waiting for me to light the fire all morning!).
How far are you from the coast. About 7 years ago malaga got a very light dusting. Some locals said it was the 1st in 30 odd years

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Best I can judge she is about 3k inland and about 250m asl. With me being 4k inland and 400m asl virtually on the same line from the coast. The snow over the mountains to the North looks quite heavy, here it's just flurrys.
Six years ago almost to the day we had lying snow which stayed for three days. Mrs W must have had that too as she was living a couple of hundred metres higher than me then.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:47 am

Absolutely freezing up here in the north, I'm going to London this weekend and the forecast as sunnier and warmer albeit, only slightly.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you Mr L ... that would seem about right although possibly slightly lower altitude as the pueblo is 120m according to Google and we are not much higher than that. Yes there was quite thick snow that year you mention and the whole garden was covered in a sheet of ice. It was funny watching the cats' reaction to it as they slipped around outside!

We only had flurries yesterday but it didn't get above 5 degrees all day. We watched the weather (4pm on Antena) and there was thick snow on the beaches in Alicante and Murcia. Judging by the radar there's another lot today for them. Here at least there's a bit of warmth in the sun.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:03 pm

I've got to say it, the only pussies on here are you lot complaining about 5 degrees. Up here in Villanueva de la Concepcion 820 Mtrs overnight it was minus 2 degrees, hasn't got above zero all day and we had a 4" blanket of snow all morning, nearly all gone now. They breed em tough up in the mountains. I drained off the water from the house last night to avoid freezing pipes as a precaution.

BTW I'm only joking, by the way the weather stats are right.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:59 pm

No snow here at all but there is some on the Sierra de Gredos about 100km north. Beautiful sunny days so lots of solar power and hot water. -5ºC every night so far this week. First job in the morning is to break the ice on the water for the sheep and hens. It's winter!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Oh woe is ye, 18 degrees here in Las Palmas, snow is something we discuss from time to time but never take seriously !!