Gas Bottles.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Gas Bottles.

Postby Lyric » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 am

We have been viewing houses with a view to downsizing. The latest (#14) is almost perfect for what we want. On a second view the Rose Tints are off of course and we see lots of little things, mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things however on my search for the boiler I found two in a little boiler house. An Electric one, seemingly not in use and a fairly new gas one, active. Now we come to the crux of it. There were two bombonas, connected in parallel, just sat outside the boiler house on the floor, not covered in any way. At the other end of the house there was a single one, again just positioned on the floor, open to the elements. At present this smells to me of an illegal installation.
I am under the impression that there should be some sort of enclosure for the bottles, either collectively or one for the boiler and one for the hob, they would be 15 to 20 meters apart.
Your thoughts gentlefolk ?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gas Bottles.

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I think that you are probably correct that it has been an illegal installation and I would certainly think that it would be well worth the money to get an official gas fitter in to advise and renew the installation and check out the boiler.
As for a suitable bottle enclosure not only is it now law , I believe, but it is also common sense to protect the bottle and piping from the elements, not an expensive operation !.
I don't think that many local people even consider that in the event of an explosion/fire that their insurance would be null and void if the installation is illegal, having said that I don't think that many locals even have house insurance. :think:

Good Luck with finding your ideal downsized abode. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:32 am

The Vendor is an English Widow who doesn't know much. She has been renting and it strikes me that the relativly new gas boiler is to lower costs with tenants using the place. I figure it's down to her to put these things right.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm

When we bought our Campo property many years ago, we sat in front of the Notary in Malaga and with a certified interpreter went through everything, I always remember his last words as we all stood up....." and remember, not withstanding all we have just read and said, in Spain - What You See Is What You Get! My advice to you: chill...if you like it buy it...what cost a cupoard or two. Have fun, we're not here very long!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Do you fancy coming round and beating that idea into Senior Management, I have a stick.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I'll build you a cupboard or two FOC if you like LOL!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:39 pm

In the over scheme of things i do not think this a big issue when it comes to buying a house and i think this a minor issue for a plumber to sort out.
Give the lady a break as you say she likely took the advise given so that's where its at. Also you are getting a brand new gas boiler, i think gas more efficient as with electric you have to pay up front for potencia whether you use or not.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Our gas bottle sits outside as we installed it ourselves for our gas cooker we brought with us. If and when we ever move the gas bottle and cooker goes with us! Must admit, I'm not too bothered and if necessary we could always get a proper gas certificate and contract if we wanted to. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying somewhere as it seems it could fairly easily be resolved. Most important are the things that you cannot change such as location, views and access.