Cambio or money exchange

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Cambio or money exchange

Postby costakid » Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 pm

I need a money exchange bureau between Malaga and Torrox. There seem to lots around Benalmadena area but Eastern costa suits me better. Anyone know one that gives a descent rate on a £1000. If I pay it in spanish bank in sterling then draw out in euros I will take a double hit. Rincon or Torre Del Mar would be good for me but will travel a little further if I have to.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Re: Cambio or money exchange

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 pm

There are a couple on Avda Torre Torre in TDM. They normally have a board outside with their rates on. Never used one though.
Gerry

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 pm

sorry cannot help...

https://revolut.com/

this card may help for a later time as good rates..

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri May 26, 2017 5:41 am

If looking at revolut.com you need to check very carefully that it fits what you need, lots of charges and restrictions apply - eg cash withdrawals over £200 per month in total attract a 2% fee !!

If this is a "one off" costakid, can't help. If something more regular, you could do worse than a Saga credit card (operated by Allied Irish Bank) which you then use like a prepaid travel card, but you benefit from Visa Europe exchange rates which are about as good as you can get. There are no transaction charges, and no interest charges on cash withdrawals as long as there are sufficient credit funds on the card.

By loading GBP onto the card, then withdrawing Euro cash, I think you are getting as near a perfect deal as is possible. If you like to take a lot of short breaks around Europe as we do, it is amazing how much you can save in a year.

My son tells me also, that Barclaycard have just this week introduces a new travel card which gives Visa Europe rates and no fees for foreign purchases or ATM withdrawals.

Parilla

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri May 26, 2017 7:18 am

Most if not all of these cards hit you hard when we withdraw cash. the big advantage is we can buy the currency on the day of our choosing.
I never withdraw cash from these machines when abroad.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 am

"Most", Wollie, yes. "If not all", no.

Parilla

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri May 26, 2017 8:18 pm

which currency card likely be best?

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat May 27, 2017 6:02 am

I guess it depends on what each individual wants from the card. I use two - a Halifax Clarity MasterCard for all purchases, and a Saga Platinum Visacard ( which I load up with GBP into credit before I use it ) for any ATM withdrawals, and for purchases.

Between the two I can avoid any transaction fees, any interest charges, and obtain what I think are about the best exchange rates available to the man in the street. You can check the rates any time you want, on the MasterCard Europe and Visa Europe web sites
Somewhere on the Money Saving Expert website, there is a very good comparison of available cards. You pays your money, you takes your pick !

Parilla

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 27, 2017 7:45 am

So back to the original question.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am

Parilla, thanks i will check out Saga.

Costa, sorry i thought these items be related...

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat May 27, 2017 10:22 am

Yes, apologies for rambling all over your thread, Costa. Sorry can't help you with an answer.

parilla