TV News Reporting

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: TV News Reporting

Postby country boy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:Sorry but Gordon Brown was very much instrumental in the Crisis from the very minute when as Chancellor he sold off around 50% of Britains Gold Reserves at knock down prices.
Sooooo true......history will eventually show it...hopefully!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 pm

This and the deregulation of the banks might have dexacerbated the problem but the root cause of the recession was the world banking crisis, toxic loans, leading to the fall of Lehman brothers and later the credit crunch.

The investment banks were vulnerable due to the fact their assets and investments became worthless overnight.
Complex chains of debt between counterparties were also vulnerable to just one link breaking.

Any party could have been in power and nothing would have been different.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:05 pm

I don't know where we would have been today if it had not been for the brilliance of Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling saving the banks from the brink of collapse...The Uk and probably the rest of the world would have been in complete chaos, makes Mrs May and her crew look like amatures. :lol:

Anyway it wont be long before Cid comes along and ticks us all off, yes this should really be in Amigos Lounge...

Rigsbyscat
Tourist

Postby Rigsbyscat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:25 pm

country boy wrote:
Paulinmalaga wrote:Sorry but Gordon Brown was very much instrumental in the Crisis from the very minute when as Chancellor he sold off around 50% of Britains Gold Reserves at knock down prices.
Sooooo true......history will eventually show it...hopefully!
Not done to mention dear Mr Brown's selling off of 50% of the country's gold reserves, don't you know. Or to mention the independent and totally unbiased reporting of the publicly funded BBC. It's all the Tories fault
Thank heaven for our saver Mr Jeremy Corbyn and his fiscal policies. Like Mr Brown before him, he and his team of loyal advisers and advocates will drive the country and its inhabitants onward's and upwards to a better future

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:55 pm

This has gone a bit off-topic but, really, it's still all the same theme. I've never met any of these politicians yet I have formed my opinions, in part, through what I read in the media. It's very hard today to just get the news in terms of facts and what happened and who said what to whom. Most of the papers today are made up of 'comment' and 'opinion'. It's not enough that we can read the news for ourselves and come to a conclusion. No. The papers have to tell us what we have just read and explain the correct conclusion we should reach.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 am

Lavanda,
Your comments are very near to my own thoughts....

I actually like reading and watching the news and I'm often 'chastised' by Mrs B for watching too much news..
But I do watch many channels and try to get a balanced view of the reported stories.

Of course so much news is based upon gossip at local level and it becomes distorted as it goes through the process of regurgitation , but that is the nature of the beast.
What saddens me is the fact that other tragic events around the world often receive very little attention in the UK..

So shortly I will be going to the local market where I will try to join in listening and talking with the locals and I will find out who has died, who has had a baby and who is receiving treatment for piles....nothing escapes the attention of the locals. :lol:
Regards,
Gordon

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:31 am

What saddens me is the fact that other tragic events around the world often receive very little attention in the UK..
That is so true. One of my neighbours has taken on a project management job in the Ukraine. When I asked about the war he said it is still going strong with people killed every single day. We don't hear much about that these days, do we?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:45 pm

maybe the same person/people that have decided the public need wall to wall coverage of , for example, tower block fire at the expense of other programming have also determined that we don't need to know about the continued Ukraine war, Ethnic cleansing in the Yemen and so on.