Boat insurance

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Boat insurance

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm

As regular readers will know I now live 300 metres frtom the shore of the Mar Menor, and am getting tempted to get a powerboat - not a gin palace but say up to 7 metres. Trying to work out possible costs I find that unless I can give specific details of a boat I cannot get an insurance quote. If there are any boaters here could they give me the roughest of guides as to annual costs?
I have booked a RYA PB2 course and will then get an ICC so the first steps are being taken! First one to call out "Hello Sailor" will get smacked by my handbag/map case.....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Boat insurance

Postby costakid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm

hello sailor. LOL

Have you tried your local chandlery? They should be able to help.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Boat insurance is depending on Length.... for Example up to 7.5m will cost you 70E a year. The biggest Motor boat insurer is Metropolis Securos.
You can not put a boat into the water with a valid insurance certificate using a Puerto launch ramp

The easiest way to put a smallish boat on to Spanish Water is via the Tutilo route from the Federation Andaluza Motornautica, as opposed to the PER or PNB routes. The sizes and engine dimensions have changed from my exam in 2012 but they were up to 6M with 50Hp engine. ALL EXAMS for Motor Nautica are in Spanish ONLY.
There are not many international courses that are Homologated into Spanish boat owning ... The only one that I think is acceptable Is a full Masters Certificate
Gibraltar is a dead end for Certification in English
Without an understanding of Nautical Spanish there is little to no way to get a ticket ... its a way to keep the Jonny Foreigners from crowding the Spanish ports.
In my Exam 36 people took the exam and 27 passed

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Here there is a school running the RYA PowerBoat Certificate level2, takes 2 days and is all practical, with teaching in English. Following completion one can join the RYA for £45 and get a free International Competency Certificate, valid for 5 years.
This qualifies one to drive a powerboat up to 10 metres, with no power restriction or limited distance from the shore in daylight hours. Further courses can be taken for example for radio, GPS, night navigation, day skipper and so on.
The Spanish route starts off as very simple for up to 6 metre boats of restricted power, but rapidly gets more taxing, and of course needs a high standard of Spanish, with 600 nautical terms to be learnt.
"Boat insurance is depending on Length.... for Example up to 7.5m will cost you 70E a year.
"You can not put a boat into the water with a valid insurance" .....think you mean without?
I would be amazed if I could insure a 220bhp 7 metre €15000 powerboat for that little, but it would be wonderful....I will report back on everything as it unfolds.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 am

....I'll leave you to it then