Christmas Came Early.!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Christmas Came Early.!

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 am

I've been notified by a UK bank ,which I've not used of about 10 years, that they overcharged me on an international transaction in 2005, and that they are refunding me the amount ( not a small refund ) plus interest ( almost double the original amount )....whooppeee...

We will have to go out and celebrate.... :thumbup:

Has anyone else had a bank 'windfall' recently..?

Regards,
Gordon Moneybags... :D .
ps.
It was a 'real' letter with correct details that I received not an e-mail from a Nigerian Vicar telling me that I've been left one million by Wonga Wonga.... :lol:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Christmas Came Early.!

Postby olive » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

No just the opposite.

I keep receiving mail with a wad of papers from banks where i have dormant accounts with small amounts of money. “ we see you have a Spanish address, can you confirm you are not UK tax resident?”

Then when i try and close the account i have to send loads of official documents ( at my expense) to get my pittance.

Shelfy
Tourist

Postby Shelfy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Not a bank but a big insurance company. The letter arrived asking for information and explaining that it was in respect of policy taken out some 35 or more years ago. It was addressed to my other half and he couldn't remember taking it out. It was before my time so I knew nothing. We were extremely cautious but it looked Kosher so went ahead and sent off for it(a nice tidy sum) . We waited and heard nothing for a while then a cheque arrived. Very nice indeed. As an aside to this story my daughter got £23,000 back in PPI so it was worth doing. Getting anything from the "fat Cats" is always very welcome.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

BENIDORM wrote:I've been notified by a UK bank ,which I've not used of about 10 years, that they overcharged me on an international transaction in 2005, and that they are refunding me the amount ( not a small refund ) plus interest ( almost double the original amount )....whooppeee...

We will have to go out and celebrate.... :thumbup:

Has anyone else had a bank 'windfall' recently..?

Regards,
Gordon Moneybags... :D .
ps.
It was a 'real' letter with correct details that I received not an e-mail from a Nigerian Vicar telling me that I've been left one million by Wonga Wonga.... :lol:
Happened to me years ago, I had, in my youth, a savings account with Yorkshire bank which I believed I had emptied and not revived, about 20 years later I discovered my old style paying in book and took it to a branch in Bradford Yorkshire where I was living at the time, they told me they owed me almost £170.00, put a smile on my face, on that same day I entered a bookies just a few doors away and invested £2.20 in an each way "yankee" got another £37.00 (about) good day that was :-)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am

I surprised that the bank went back so far and corrected their error, but lucky for you Gordon. Did you want to name that bank .... we have had several transactions in the past and I'm not sure whether we really fully checked how the transaction was calculated.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am

Hello Wicksey,
Yes I was also surprised that my transaction, almost historical, has 'come to light' and has been corrected.
I prefer not to mention the name of the bank, however it is a high street bank and I had been with them a long time, perhaps they are trying to win me back .. :D
I also recently received a refund from a British solicitor for an over payment in 2003,however I've heard that the firm is under investigation for fraud, so I guess that they are trying to put their 'house in order', the same solicitor actually lost the deeds to my house.. :shock:

If you or anyone else has any doubts about bank or other transactions I would suggest that now is a good time to contact them, they seem to be under pressure to correct discrepancies .

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm

It's amazing that they went so far back, so enjoy your extra bonus Gordon!