On this Day

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

On this Day

Postby katy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Just for info' Ancestry.com has free searches of military records today.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/remembrance

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: On this Day

Postby Miro » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Having been away for so many years, I found it very moving yesterday at 11:00 when in Asda everybody stood still and observed a minute's silence. Made me feel very proud (and lucky) to be British. :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Katy, the problem with Ancestry.com is that yes, you can search, but as soon as you find a match, you can't see it unless you sign up.....:-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 am

Chrissie is correct about the having to 'sign up' to get any further details, however it does show basic details of search results and often they can be helpful, just having a correct name-middle name can lead you further, there is so much free information now 'floating around' on the internet, it just takes time and patience.
I recommend making notes of every name and date-place that you come across it will help you to track your ancestors, I've recently just discovered another line and it takes me easily back to 1760, very interesting !
Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm

chrissiehope wrote:Katy, the problem with Ancestry.com is that yes, you can search, but as soon as you find a match, you can't see it unless you sign up.....:-(
Yes I was disappointed. I did provide email and got in to view but they were very basic records. Just names in registers, did see one relative who was presumed killed in calvados region of France. Described in the ledger as "disembodied"

I did my family history in Spain and all was free then on the internet. I think the only thing I paid for was copies of some wills from Gloucestershire which were cheap. Gordon is right, it's an ongoing hobby. Put it away and start again a few months/years later. Useful if you find a contact researching the same family like I did.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm

I did loads of research several years ago, and reached a point where I would either have to spend quite a bit, or go to various far-flung locations, in order to find out more, so it all sort of ground to a halt ! Katy, you're right about the contact - early on in my research into hubby's line, I found a distant cousin of his in New Zealand. She was thrilled with the contact, and gave me loads of info which I hadn't yet found - we're still in touch, tho' we've both moved on to other lines :-)

There's still free stuff around (or was when I last looked), but there are definitely more sites jumping on the 'pay per view' wagon :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 am

I like the story about the rich American who spent half a million dollars investigating his family tree...

And then a million dollars trying to hush it up !

anyroads

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Some Universities conduct genealogy searches as part of their history curriculum, I had mine done years ago by Bradford Uni, cost me about £30.00 if I remember, they went back as far as the late 18th century and it was pretty comprehensive, I don't know if they still do it or what it costs !