Cheese, Airlines & Border Control

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Cheese, Airlines & Border Control

Postby country boy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:42 am

We were in Bristol last weekend and I was sorely tempted by some Cheddar Truckles on a craft stand. I didn't succumb because I really wasn't sure about
actual rules. We only had cabin bagage so there was that, and then whether you can actually bring dairy products into Spain . Anybody know definitive answers?

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Cheese, Airlines & Border Control

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Have bought cheese over in hand luggage many times, never had any problems from Bristol or Birmingham.
Hardworking resident !!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks...excelllent!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Error
Last edited by ajtg1952 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm

I normally bring back a bag full of Lancashire. Brought half a dozen Scotch pies back from Glasgow last week and I'd stacked them one on top of the other so they looked like a solid tube on the scanner. A quick check and I was through.
I was once told by a security officer at Prestwick that Spain didn't allow dairy products to be brought in. I reminded him that it was up to the Spanish authorities what they allowed me to bring in and not him. A few long moments as he thought about it and what else he might get me for, then I was sent on my way!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:57 pm

According to the Express, Camembert is not allowed as if ripe and warm it is classified as a liquid!

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articl ... -christmas

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Well on the return route to the uk we often take cheese and chorizo. Only been stopped once at the scanner and when they saw it was chorizo they said good choice.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 am

i take all sorts and bring back all sorts :lol: ....My family prefers english sausages from the butcher so they go in hand luggage as well as bacon and cheddar cheese and applewood cheese.. Spanish father in law loves heinz baked beans :thumbup: and no less than 6 tins go in hubby's hand luggage...yes there is a liquid content in the tins but it is less than the allowed limit in each can...
Coming back, we bring chorizo and various food items which hubby loves. His hand luggage contains nothing but green hard large tomatoes and long green peppers... They last him about 3 weeks if daughter leaves them alone! We also bring products back in the suitcases, some of which will be Xmas presents for family ie Illora's award winning olive oil which comes in a 3 bottle boxed gift pack, we use nothing else as it is easily our favorite :thumbup:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks one and all...Curses! I'll have to do with Cathedral City from Iceland this xmas, but...Good to know for the future.

CHEERS and a MERRY XMAS to everyone.
Have a Peaceful Festive

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm sure I seen some Cheddar Truckles in Iceland on Wednesday.
They don't normally have them but there was a "special for Xmas" section with variuos Truckles amongst other Xmas goodies.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Lidl had small truckles of Wensleydale with cranberries and white Stilton with apricots the other day. They didn't last very long though as they were so small so were soon eaten. I will have to buy some more if they still have any left! Mercadona have started doing a lovely Brie with cranberries now as well .... highly recommended!

I am surprised they allowed baked beans in hand luggage. I had mincemeat taken off me once and I've never attempted to bring anything like that back again. (They sell Heinz beans in our local Mercadona here, presumably not in your area Pamela1?) Christmas puddings and cheese got through OK though. Last trip back from Gatwick I had my case pulled apart by security because I had put my mascara in the case rather than the plastic bag, which I never usually do, and my little contact lens container too.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 am

Wicksey, there is a Mercadona in my area but they don't stock Heinz beans..probably because there are few expats in the area. Yep they are defiantly allowed in hand luggage,a friend had once chanced a tin and when she put her hand luggage through security they detected the beans and after reading the tin for how much liquid content they contained she was told they were under the maximum liquid allowance, since then i have packed them and had no problems..

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:38 am

"Bean juice" in tins of Heinz beans is an interesting topic in itself! When my elderly mother was very ill, she could eat very little but had a penchant for "Heinz bean juice on toast".
We found that the juice content per can varied significantly and we frequently had to open two or three cans to "extract" sufficient juice to satisfy her! Maybe there is a market for Heinz Bean Juice!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:20 am

This is an item i came across a few years ago, it seems as long as there is not more than 100 mls liquid we can carry pretty welly anything.
I bring all kindof stuff....

Travelling from a country within

the the European Union (EU)

If you are travelling from a country within the EU

(see the list below), you may bring in any meat,

dairy or other animal products.

Meat and dairy products

Any other animal product

for example fish, bivalves (such as oysters, mussels

or clams), honey and eggs.

Don’t break the law, check the rules before

you travel.

Meat products include any fresh, cooked or dried meat such as

beef, lamb, pork or chicken and such products as patties, curries,

ham, biltong, pot noodles which contain meat, meatballs, meat

pickles, cured or cooked sausage, pate and meat paste.

Dairy products include fresh, dried or concentrated milk, cream,

butter, ghee, mithai, cheese and products containing fresh cream.

Fish Products include fresh, dried, cooked, cured and smoked

fish and fish products, such as canned tuna, fish sauces, prawns,

shrimps, squid, lobster, crab and crayfish.

Bivalve products include oysters (including oyster sauce) mussels,

clams, cockles, scallops, whelks and winkles

Egg products include omelette, mayonnaise and dried eggs.

Only the most common examples in each category are listed

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 am

Cabin baggage it's up to the airline/airport you are departing from . Regarding customs rules into Spain....if you are moving between any 2 EU countries you can bring whatever you like...there is freedom of movement of goods, capital and people. Although there are some items you have to declare you can still take anything with you that you want as long as it is a legal product. So unless Spain bans cheese they can't stop you at the Spanish border and take your cheese.