The rain in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
swerve
Resident

Re: The rain in Spain

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Water coming off top road this morning.

https://postimg.org/image/exsczxqxh/
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 pm

This last 48 hours in the far north have been weird.
Freezing on Tuesday, heavy snow on Wednesday morning, 10c by the afternoon and 18-20c t shirt weather this afternoon.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:54 pm

no internet connection for last 36 hours due to very heavy and continuous rain ... the stream which was but a trickle now an absolute raging torrent ...and more rain forecast for next few days ...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 am

We have lots of lovely rain here. It's steady and gentle with occasional downpours but the water is soaking into the ground and not just running away. Most olive and fig farmers here 'clean' their fincas of all vegetation to make management and harvesting easier. When it rains hard the top soil, the little that remains, is further washed away. Pretty stupid short-sighted 'farming' methods, I think.

In Devon, where my parents live, the snow has bought everything to a halt. In Wiltshire, where my niece lives, they have had 12cm of snow for three days running. The photos are pretty but the surrounding hills are all blocked and the Blackdown Hills in Somerset are like another planet.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Been lots of damage in Andalucia. Lots of photos in Sur. In one place a huge slice had gone out of the road. We had an icing sugar coating yesterday afternoon. Looked amazingly light with yet another full super moon. I went out to feed the fox and could see it waiting in the bushes.. Never had the scaremongering foot of it down here, pretty much normal with the exception of lousy Southern rail. some regions had a lot others none, typical winter. We have a heatwave today 7C ha ha.

Watch Euronews even Berlin was at a standstill. All the well known monuments look pretty covered with snow, especially Venice.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Decided to take the car to the bar last night and save me getting wet. Met with a landslip on my track 80m from the road. So had to walk after all and got absolutely soaking wet!
My Spanish neighbours set to and had it cleared by the time I walked home and my car had been turned round for me. Such amazing people!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Lavanda wrote:We have lots of lovely rain here. It's steady and gentle with occasional downpours but the water is soaking into the ground and not just running away. Most olive and fig farmers here 'clean' their fincas of all vegetation to make management and harvesting easier. When it rains hard the top soil, the little that remains, is further washed away. Pretty stupid short-sighted 'farming' methods, I think.

In Devon, where my parents live, the snow has bought everything to a halt. In Wiltshire, where my niece lives, they have had 12cm of snow for three days running. The photos are pretty but the surrounding hills are all blocked and the Blackdown Hills in Somerset are like another planet.
We have had 3 inches so far. I agree with you on the short sighted farming methods. I read somewhere a few years back that some new reservoirs in Jaen area had silted up. That certainly happened to river entry end of Lake Iznajar following the very heavy 2012 winter rains. had a look at the damage around here on my morning walk.One or two new guuleys and the usual mud washed onto the road. six to twelve inches deep in places. A JCB will come along later in the month and clear it away. Although the farmers here practice clean , stonefree groves some do at least plough deep single furrows to arrest the water and reduce damage. The other problem is the verges , which we are supposed to not destroy have got smaller and smaller each year - probably from overspray. there is so little natural habitat anymore. I did see a beech marten recently so the groves arent completely sterile!

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:09 pm

El Cid wrote:
This seems to be an endemic problem in Spain. Just up the road from us in Nerja is the new, vastly expensive, new sewage treatment plant, albeit 20 years late in being built. It’s 99% complete but the construction company has now gone bust and no one will put up the money to lay the pipe work to the sea so it is completely useless and the sewage from 100000 people in the summer is still pumped directly into the water just off the local tourist beaches!

Sid

From the latest Soltalk

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Says in Sur today there is now enough water for a year in Andalucia. Strangely yesterday evening I was sent a video from friends in New Zealand. Bucketing down on the terrace with huge noise. They said weather has been awful recently. Was then on FaceTime to Kenya where they opened the terrace for me and looked just the same, couldn't hear ourselves speak until the doors were closed.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 pm

What can i expect Malaga area tomorrow?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Rain!

Just Google it!

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:27 pm

The reason i ask is i was told on here recently that forecasting in Spain inaccurate, i have already checked online so i will go with that on your advise...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:16 pm

All forecasts are inaccurate to a greater or lesser extent. 5 days ahead is about as far as you can go with any chance of getting it slightly right. Beyond that it is more likely, statistically to be wrong than right.

There are lots of good Internet sites. Look at them all and they will all be slightly different. Make up your own mind which is more likely to be accurate based on your experience of using them. Try these.

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/latest-mod ... -ncep.html This gives you about 10 days with every option you can think of but you might need so knowledge of the subject.

The Spanish Met Office is a good start. You can select your location.

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/predicc ... #detallada

I like this one as it give short term hourly forecasts

https://en.eltiempo.es/almunecar.html

For short term rain forecasts, radar lets you see what’s coming your way. Very accurate over a few hours.

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/radar

For a really good phone/tablet app try this

https://www.google.es/search?q=weather+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

It even works well on a phone.

Avoid US apps such as Accuweather as they may be good for USA but are often wildly out for Europe. The WeatherProHD app and the Weathercast site above are European based. In fact they are the people that the BBC are dumping the UK Met Office for for their broadcast forecasts.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Had a picture from some friends in Fuengirola today sitting in short sleeves at a beach bar. Forecast more rain though this week.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Tomorrow could be wet but the rest of the week looks like the occasional shower. After that it’s looking like it’s back to normal. Here we are up to about 160mm rain in a few days which is the worst we have had in 18 years. It is still not going to bring the winter rainfall quite back to normal, but close. That just means we have another year where the drought risk has gone away. We still need a year or two of above normal rainfall to fill the reservoirs, but I don’t thing that is too likely. I think we will be on the edge of a drought disaster for many years to come.

The only solution is to ban the planting of water hungry fruit trees such as Avocados and Mango and find a way of making all the water in Spain available across all regions - a sort of national grid for water. Sadly that is not likely in the short term.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm

"not likely in the short term" Short compared to the Jurassic Age?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Nature itself may solve the problem of the planting. The aquifers are already salting up as when they get low, the sea water can get in. It’s already happening with our agricultural water supply which actually comes from Nerja, some way away.

The effect is not initially catastrophic as far as we are concerned as it just reduces the growth of the plants - not a real issue for us and it cuts down on how often I cut the lawn! For the growers, the crop is significantly affected which can ultimately affect the profitability to the point where there is no profit.

As for a national grid for water supply, the Jurassic age is probably a good estimate.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 am

As our water is from the agricultural supply I wouldn't like it to become salty. There is no other option for water so we couldn't live here if our supply dried up. I think ours comes from the mountains, so everybody says, so hopefully they won't become saline.

They continue to plant mangoes here and land is still being prepared for more (a bulldozer has been working on an area near us for over 6 weeks now .... is there a grant to plant these trees as it must cost a fortune to set up!)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Wicksey wrote:... is there a grant to plant these trees as it must cost a fortune to set up!)
We've often wondered that. They continue to grub out citrus and re-plant with mango/avacados all the way up our valley. There is a chap terracing a whole mountain side to do do the same just down from us, it simply does not make sense. The Guadalhorce river this morning is still little more than a sewage drenched muddy beck, even after the recent rains.
It must be worth their while to do all this new work, I am assuming they cannot be anticipating long term livings from it all.

A few years ago they planted "Chocolate" Trees (Carob) all over the mountain sides around us, thousands and thousands of them.....they are all dead now. What did that cost?
Last edited by country boy on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm

I hope it keeps raining..its so needed...our supply comes from the mountains, hope it continues..We share a water pool wirh 4 other neighbours for the land but its been out of use for past 5 yrs and it would cost a fortune to repair..Everyone is in a panic about how little water there is but if you have land and no water then as my neighbours say its usless..Thankfully there is a huge lake nearby and all the neighbours are clubing together to lay pipes from the lake to get a land water supply..Hoping all goes well..