The rain in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

The rain in Spain

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am

It looks like Storm Emma is going to be a very wet one.

The forecast for Malaga province is 7 days of rain, totaling 283mm. That is 60% of the annual average rainfall.

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: The rain in Spain

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:37 pm

I sincerely hope so!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:18 pm

yesterday a guy told me that there are now restrictions in Benamargosa ... water available only morning and evenings ... we need that rain and soon!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:54 pm

I do hope your right Sid.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Well, all the forecasts are saying much the same. There will probably be less rain further east, but most of the reservoirs are around Málaga province. We will need a lot more rain to bring the levels back to previous years levels, but at least it will give us another years grace before climate change finally turns Málaga province into a desert!

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I just checked on wunderground and it looks like we have a week or more of quite heavy rain. May go to the UK for some snow.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 pm

This is exactly why we moved back! Just couldn't stand the weather in Spain anymore - much happier here with The Beast From The East :lol:
But joking aside, we have been pleasantly surprised at how little rain we've had since moving back last June, do not miss the filthy flooded streets of Torremolinos during the stormy season, nor the 40° heat of the summer - and to wake up to a blanketing of snow yesterday morning was a real nostalgic treat!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Wonder if the growers copiously watering open hillsides will bother to turn off their irrigation during this intensely wet spell?
Chris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:21 pm

costakid wrote:I just checked on wunderground and it looks like we have a week or more of quite heavy rain. May go to the UK for some snow.
You would be best to choose carefully. The MET has been tipping snow for two days here and it hasn't happened. Blue skies and sunny although bitterly cold. Met are saying a foot in this area next 24 hours, see if they get one in three right. Meanwhile we are being told not to leave the house on risk of death and other rubbish. Smiled at the BBC reporters(?) stood on bridges on the motorway and traffic speeding past saying it was bad yesterday evening. I drove close to Brighton this morning and not even snow on the hills. Perhaps they don't know the difference between Sussex and Scotland. :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:32 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Wonder if the growers copiously watering open hillsides will bother to turn off their irrigation during this intensely wet spell?
Doubt it. Water costs them so much now that the first thing they do when it rains is make adjustments accordingly. A friend was a large Avo farm and she is always asking me how much rain we are having.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:56 pm

We have had a 60% cut in our allowance and once that allowance is used we will be physically disconected. So no chance of buying your way through the current drought. Will not affect those with illegal connections though!
Gerry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:07 pm

That’s interesting to know. We are not farming but our water is from an agricultural cooperative.it comes across country from an aquifer in Nerja. Supply is not a problem so far, but as the level drops seawater can infiltrate the aquifer and that contaminates the water.

Clearly this is not good and it will seriously affect the crop yield. In our case, the worse that happens is that the grass grows slower and we get fewer flowers - I can cope with that, but the local farmers are really worried as a drop in the crop yield can wipe out the profit.

In this area we should be supplied from the water from the Sierras which ends up behind the new Rules Dam on the road to Granada. After spending billions constructing it, they made no attempt to connect it into the irrigation infrastructure so it has ended up having only achieved creating the largest swimming pool in Europe!

Local irrigation costs would be more than halved if we had access. There still appears to be no movement to solve this although there have been a number of major demonstrations by local farmers and politicians, but so far to no avail. Probably because most of the cost was provided by the EU and central government and now they look to the local councils to pay which is just not possible.

This seems to be an endemic problem in Spain. Just up the road from us in Nerja is the new, vastly expensive, new sewage treatment plant, albeit 20 years late in being built. It’s 99% complete but the construction company has now gone bust and no one will put up the money to lay the pipe work to the sea so it is completely useless and the sewage from 100000 people in the summer is still pumped directly into the water just off the local tourist beaches!

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:23 am

Not "Rain in Spain", but "Snow in Wilmslow !" These were taken 5 mins apart around 3.30 this afternoon

Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 am

Snowing heavily again on Merseyside right now.
I wonder how Spain is going to fund all their white elephants once the Brexit black hole kicks in? Still, at least we'll have an extra £350 million a week to spend on snow plows here :lolno:
Oh, and trains that can actually run in the snow!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41 am

Well it is the King has got no clothes on syndrome.

I have posted previously on rhe proliferation of illegal wells around the area I live in. Not connected to mains electric so no need for paperwork, solar panels keep the pumps running all day. No one dare challenge the situation as agriculture is such a part of the Andalucian economy. The aquifers do not have am infinite amount of water.

Dams are built with funny money as vanity projects? Who knows? Was anyone sacked over the Rules dam? Maybe its key purpose was to prevent localised flooding downstream. If so an expensive solution.

The where is the money going to come from once the Uk cashcow is no longer chirning it into the EU coffers is a very good question. Spain has a wake up callcoming. No longer will it have infinite amounts available for unsupervised and unregulated projects like ERES. What money there is will go to the Eastern countries.

I can see agricultural subsidies being drastically cut. Maybe the Spaniards will have to fund better sewage treatment, water networks and farmer subsidies. Talking of which the latest subsidies are the industrial renewal of old olive groves and planting of new trees which will over time be more productive. Great for the grower as they have continuity of income at our expense.

Maybe the EU will better manage the actual use of our money and reduce the programmes or up member state contributions. Maybe Brexit will be overturned and rhe cash cow turned on again. I see big changes ahead for us in Spain or maybe not........

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 am

I'm no weatherman but the current position of the Jetstream, and it's predicted path could explain our weather forecast in Spain and the cold spell in the UK. Normally the Stream is hovering over Northern Europe with Spain mostly below in the warmer latitudes.

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Wind is getting up now aswell. Grim.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Is the lake filling, Swerve?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:02 pm

I want to know where our snow is, third day it's been predicted. Today we were supposed to have a foot, nada. Clear in friends place in Hampshire too.

Some good photos on DM of snow in Europe. Promenade Des Anglais, Nice is covered, Venice, Rome. 2000 stranded overnight on one motorway in France, thought it only happened in UK.Ha ha Feel sorry for those cruising in that area. Latest scaremongering is that we are running out of gas, perhaps Putin will send some.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:Is the lake filling, Swerve?
Next time I pass I'll have a look. Busy trying to get a bit of garden work done in-between showers. Weeds come up easily after a good downpour.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela