Construction info for jobs in Gibraltar? Help!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
john_45

Construction info for jobs in Gibraltar? Help!

Postby john_45 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some guidance for construction/PM jobs in Gib? I moved my family to Sotogrande recently and I commute from London doing project management, but I really want to be with my family more, I can already see that the commute is not going to be easy, and I really want to be there for my children more. Does anyone know of any info on the construction industry in Gib? My Spanish is only passable but I am working on it, but I am not fluent so I know that doesn't help. I was hoping someone on here could help point me in the right direction, I know it is probably only slim chance to get a job when I am not fluent in Spanish, but wanted to give it a shot! Thanks so much for any help or suggestions :wave:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Construction info for jobs in Gibraltar? Help!

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Well your lack of Spanish will not be a problem in Gibraltar. They speak English and a cross between moroccan and english. I have never needed to speak Spanish when I have been to Gib on business.

john_45

Postby john_45 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:51 pm

That is good news. I looked at Bovis-Koala in Gib and a recent job ad said fluent English and Spanish is required, but maybe this is because they have work on across the border in Spain as well? If it is not needed then my chances are definitely increased. I am a bit more hopeful now. I think getting a job in Gib it is a situation where you need to know someone or have contacts, but I literally do not know anyone to even ask. Hence me being here! Are you working in Gib now?

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Let us know how you get on

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

You may find that in construction or similar in Gibraltar you will have to work with/coordingate/manage spanish workers who come over the border to work in Gibraltar. This is something to bear in mind when applying for jobs ... it would speed up your learning of spanish though!!!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Most projects in Gibraltar have a majority Spanish labour force hence the need to speak Spanish. Site agent and above are generally English speaking but not the coal face I'm afraid!

john_45

Postby john_45 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 am

That all makes a lot of sense. So, I am doubling down on improving my Spanish as quickly as possible. Does anyone know anyone in the industry in Gib who could give me average salary issue and what the industry is like there, whether there are actually any jobs, if the industry is in an upturn or down?