Does Anyone know what happens to Expats after March 2019?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Does Anyone know what happens to Expats after March 2019?

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 pm

I am just wondering if the rules will change regarding expats who have not taken residencia. Is there any news from the Spanish government on what rules they are going to introduce next year after Brexit, considering any drastic changes may drive thousands of expats back to the UK? I have heard recently of quite a few people who are returning to the UK permanently and have sold up their properties here and wondered if they know something the rest of us do not ! :shock:

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Does Anyone know what happens to Expats after March 2019?

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Nothing drastic will happen, think back to before we were members of the E U and that's how it will be, British residents and tourists generate a huge amount of money within the Spanish economy, swords will rattle but nothing bad will happen !!

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes but if we go back to those days, you could holiday in Spain but not stay more than a few weeks without a visa could you ? I don't seem to remember people coming to Spain for indefinite periods before we joined the EU as you can at the moment, although I know if you are here for extended periods you should anyway apply for residencia.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 pm

I don't really know the rules but I do know of several families who have owned property here since the mid seventies.
As I said the Spanish authorities will probably pass some rules to gouge a few more euros from us but they really do need the tourism and the money that comes with it, I doubt they'll kill the golden goose, I hope not anyway !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

If you have lived here without registering on the list of foreigners then you are an illegal immigrant under EU rules. You need to register before Brexit or you may have problems after the transition period.

Why have you lived here without registering? If you end up with problems after Brexit you will only have yourself to blame for not following the rules. I have absolutely no sympathy with such people.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Half of of the brits in Fuengirola and Torox haven’t bothered registering. It may be illegal but i guess you want everyone on the padron to generate more money for the area you live in. Brexit will sort it all out. Back to green cards and bail bonds.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm

El Cid wrote:If you have lived here without registering on the list of foreigners then you are an illegal immigrant under EU rules. You need to register before Brexit or you may have problems after the transition period.

Why have you lived here without registering? If you end up with problems after Brexit you will only have yourself to blame for not following the rules. I have absolutely no sympathy with such people.

Sid
I don't live here, I stay for a few months and then return home to the UK for a few months and so on, I have never wanted to live here permanently but just wondered if I continued to do that would we need a visa after Brexit. I am just wondering what some of our friends here will do when they have properties in the UK which they rent out.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:05 am

El Cid wrote:If you have lived here without registering on the list of foreigners then you are an illegal immigrant under EU rules. You need to register before Brexit or you may have problems after the transition period.

Sid
Agreed, one should always follow the rules of ones host country.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 am

Dunflittin68,
As a 'casual' visitor I doubt that you would have a problem, but I guess that it would determined by the length of your 'visits'.

Anyone living permanently in Spain who complies with the national and local laws and requirements would in my opinion have little to worry about, and as Sid points out it is a very sensible option.
However others living under the 'radar' could be in for a lot of hassle from both Spanish and UK authorities ( obviously I mean Brit.expats ) if they don't take steps to legitimize themselves before Brexit...if it ever happens !!...No Brainer Really..in my opinion...

Regards,
Gordon.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 am

Where it is likely to make a difference is with work. Work permits will be required and anyone not registered might find it harder in an already difficult environment.

Of course, Spain won't block people who come with money and can keep themselves.

Regarding visas. I've heard all sorts of possible solutions from the UK side including indefinite leave to stay for most EU citizens entering the UK. My personal opinion is that would be very difficult to go back to the old three month visa system because times and the need for immigrant employment has changed enormously. Taking back control might in the end be having the right to stop people entering without actually stopping anyone.

Spain might reciprocate whatever the UK decides. However, We need their workers much more than they need ours.

Why would anyone who made their home here not want to register anyway? What are the benefits to that?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Tax evasion is the obvious one, although most of those who don't bother registering will probably vehemently deny that they are avoiding or evading taxes, with the usual diatribe of "I don't have to pay taxes in Spain because I'm British/pay my taxes in the UK etc." No doubt many of those are genuinely living in blissful ignorance, and Brexit may just be the wake up call they deserve. Others may be deliberately trying to avoid any contact with Spanish bureaucracy, and who could blame them really? As usual, though, I suspect those "living under the radar" are the least concerned about Brexit and it's possible impacts. If only I could be so care free, life in Spain would probably have been a lot easier for us!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Regarding the right od EU citizens in the UK, the government have just published the new procedures here

https://www.gov.uk/government/case-stud ... -in-the-uk

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:31 pm

markwilding wrote:
Spain might reciprocate whatever the UK decides. However, We need their workers much more than they need ours.

Why would anyone who made their home here not want to register anyway? What are the benefits to that?
Many don't register because they can't due to not having enough certifiable income or any health cover. OK for retired people, can't see that changing. Lots from the UK lived in Spain long before Spain joined the EU.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Including me for two years in the seventies. I was an illegal immigrant albeit, a temporary one.
The problem with this is that as it's not possible to register to work, even though I did actually work, no taxes can be paid and you have no rights.

In no way was it as it is now. I remember friends having to go on regular trips to France or Portugal to renew their tourist visas

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:08 pm

I lived in Paris in the seventies and as I recall had to report to the police station every week or so. Also had to pay for private healthcare

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Very true Mark. Used to happen in the USA too decades ago. My relatives used to take a short trip to Bahamas and get another 6 months. Then there was Ronnie Knight, gangster who lived in Benalmadena, I think he used to go to Gibraltar to extend his time in Spain.

I do think that TM and Davis are more concerned about EU citizens rights after Brexit than they are about their own citizens living in the EU. Perhaps it is because of their mates in Amazon etc wanting a continual supply of cheap labour.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Unicorn wrote:I lived in Paris in the seventies and as I recall had to report to the police station every week or so. Also had to pay for private healthcare
A Spanish friend had to register at nearest UK police station about the same time when she stayed in UK. I remember her going to Kingston police station but can't remember the form she filled in.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:28 pm

The Problem was if you were caught, It made it difficult to get another visa
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 pm

katy wrote:Very true Mark. Used to happen in the USA too decades ago. My relatives used to take a short trip to Bahamas and get another 6 months. Then there was Ronnie Knight, gangster who lived in Benalmadena, I think he used to go to Gibraltar to extend his time in Spain.

I do think that TM and Davis are more concerned about EU citizens rights after Brexit than they are about their own citizens living in the EU. Perhaps it is because of their mates in Amazon etc wanting a continual supply of cheap labour.
I agree with that last comment! TM seems much more interested in EU citizens living in the UK and I have heard nothing from her about expats living in Europe and what they can expect and don't expect to hear anything from her either.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Controlling the UK borders was one of the cornerstones of the Brexit Campaign so it is hardly surprising that the Government is concentrating on the status of EU citizens in the UK. I would expect nothing less!
As to the postion of UK citizens living in the EU, they will, at the very least, be covered by British Consular services just like any other Brits living overseas. Should they get some exceptional treatment? Maybe, but lets not forget it is their choice to reside overseas and could, if they chose, return to live in the UK.
There is a degree of double talk here as I recall some in this Forum regularly decrying the UK. There was a phase when they referred to the UK as YUK! Happily that phase has passed or maybe those who did so have moved on (probably back to the UK!!). I don't think Brits living in the EU can expect to pour scorn one minute then expect the UK to pay special attention to them, the next.
Of course it would be good if the postion of such people could be safeguarded but, as harsh as it seems, the interest in the UK is mainly towards the number of EU citizens arriving in the UK rather than the postion of UK citizens living in the EU. I suspect that to the case irrespective of how people actually voted in the Referendum.