Its cold!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Its cold!

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 pm

I cant remember it being as cold and unsettled as this in April, perhaps others can?? All the spring flowers and shrubs in the garden are still not in flower, i will now have to wait till next Spring to see them out in bloom but only if its warmer next year than this year...It was warmer in Seville in February..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Its cold!

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm

We're lighting the log fire today, but we have had them in May before! From the weather forecast it looks like it's warming up next week. No doubt it will be log fires one day and aircon the next, as the weather is so changeable here.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 pm

There’s a town near us called Oria, their fiesta is on the second weekend in May, and it’s known for being cold for it.
So the saying goes:- “never cast a clout till Oria fiesta be out” :crazy:

Gretch

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:45 pm

It’s the same in Nerja. They have their San Isidro procession in the middle of May and it is supposed not to rain after that. The truth is somewhat different as is sometimes does rain. The first week in June is probably the best date for the start of summer.

This month has been no colder than previous April’s. Today’s lowest temperature was 9.4c which is not as cold as some other April days. In fact, the lowest April temperature we have had was 7c a few years ago and that was on the last day of the month.

April is typically very changeable and unpredictable. Sometimes loads of rain, other times none at all. Typically it can get up to high 20s even over 30c. On the other hand nighttime temperatures are frequently under 10c.

Unfortunately a bad April can often follow a warm February and March making it feel very cold, often because we are waiting for the good weather to arrive and it doesn’t!

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I guess it all depends where you are located in Andalucia, this April for us has been the coldest in 5yrs...Its the very first time we have had to light a log fire in any April and the first time we have never sat out in the garden....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Like us you are in Granada, so I don’t see that it can be that different. Where exactly are you?

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 am

8 deg C on our car thermometer yesterday. Coupled with the strong winds and damp (lashing rain at times) it feels much worse than the around zero temps of this last winter. Of course then it was dry and sunny and we expected it to be cold. Interestingly London is forecast to be 16 today and Madrid only 13.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 am

Pamela1 wrote:I guess it all depends where you are located in Andalucia, this April for us has been the coldest in 5yrs...Its the very first time we have had to light a log fire in any April and the first time we have never sat out in the garden....
We're close to the coast (which in theory should be milder than inland) but we still have fires in April, and as I've said, mid-May too.

Our conservatory thermometer read 6.8 degrees this morning. The cats couldn't wait to get into the house and onto our bed when we opened the front door :lol: The wind seems to be particularly icy today.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:38 am

El Cid wrote:Like us you are in Granada, so I don’t see that it can be that different. Where exactly are you?

Sid
Yes Granada region but in the mountains near Guadix...Im jyst about to go back to Uk and taxi driver told me the weather in his opinion hasnt been as bad as this for many yrs in April...Everyone has their own perspective on it i guess...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:11 am

It's going to be pretty cold up there and there is a lot of snow around because of the recent rain. That's going to have a big effect and could explain the difference. Down on the coast the wind is usually coming off the sea which is relatively warm.

When we get a North wind off the mountains it gets much colder. It often feels colder than it really is because of the wind, but when they quote temperatures they dont usually quote the "wind chill" factor.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Lost a bunch of trees, incl. two jacarandas, a fig tree and a bunch of palm seedlings. Combination I guess, cold, dark, too much rain.

The gulf stream is the weakest it's been in 1600 years, which of course might influence but it is probably the opening of the polar jet winds that allows cold air to invade without much resistance that is causing the bulk load of cold.

Looks more and more like a warmer arctic means colder springs.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Spanish golf open started today and they were saying on TV how cold it was. Not much of a crowd but saw a lot of puffa jackets and wool hats being worn.
Here in West Sussex Spring flowering is at least 3 weeks late. Always take photos of the magnolia trees when out and last years was dated March 18th. They are just about at the same stage now. Only Daffys etc. And cherry trees were on time. Going to be nice next week though....up to 24c. Just as we are leaving for some Mediterranean warmth. Ha ha.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm

A bit of warmth in the Uk will be most welcome however i hope you get more warmth than i did on your travels Katy...Enjoy

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:20 pm

It gets better next week..

I arrive.

The sun always shines on the righteous.

anyroads

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Just keep it there til the end of May please ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 am

42 millimeters of rain yesterday here, max temp 12.3 C. minimum 7.0 C The Sierras are covered with snow this morning, which is fine and bright, but chilly, with projected highs of 20 C Light North Westerly wind.. Perhaps Spring is about to arrive at last.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Beautiful spring day here in Cheshire :-) - only problem is where to start in tackling the jungle that should be a garden !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Been good here for 3 days! We are going to South of France tomorrow and if the forecasts are correct it will be warmer here ha ha. Won't be visiting Spain until June, my favourite month for Spanish weather.

The late spring has been good for the garden, never seen it so good. Almost wish I was not away until later.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Today is 1st May, Near Torrox I be in a heavy thunderstorm, to the North on the high Almijara it's snowing.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue May 01, 2018 2:58 pm

here, we caught the edge of that thunder and a few minutes of heavy rain ... have lit the log fire as it's cold ... 5 degrees!