Its cold!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Its cold!

Postby firsttango » Tue May 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Had enough now, this is horrible, overcast, drizzle and a chilly 12 degrees in Velez. El Cid please make it stop :D

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue May 01, 2018 6:12 pm

El Cid is a moderator, he's not God!
What is interesting is that global temperatures have reduced quite quickly recently, Feb 2018 was 12.75ºC.
This is 0.57ºC down from record temps in 2016.
This is despite the slowly increasing CO2 levels in the atmosphere.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201802

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I'll have you know El Cid is far more than just a moderator :lol: His weather knowledge especially this area is unsurpassed

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm

What's the problem?
Just enjoyed a nice glass of red wine out on the terrace in the sunshine here near Cajiz, not far from you.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Totally agree Gerry but when I posted a few hours ago it was as quoted very grim, however within the last hour the sun has come out and the sky is blue.....Coincidence? Or as wish to believe El Cid worked some divine intervention :D

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Been working in the garden which has been the best ever. Dried two loads of washing, bit of decorating, Back door has been open most of the day. Not so bad. Someone posted that England was better than here but, their heatwave lasted all of 3/4 days, not very nice now.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 02, 2018 7:57 am

firsttango wrote:Totally agree Gerry but when I posted a few hours ago it was as quoted very grim, however within the last hour the sun has come out and the sky is blue.....Coincidence? Or as wish to believe El Cid worked some divine intervention :D
One of the good things about the weather here is how quickly it changes from gray and rainy to sunny again. After an hour or so everything has dried out and it's nice again.

I had a look at my weather records and this April was colder than average. In 14 years the mean temperature has only been lower just once and that was by only 0.2ºc. Many previous Aprils have been up to 2ºc warmer (which in mean temperature terms is a lot).

It still looks changeable in the long range forecast without any high temperatures, but getting warmer at night.

The old saying "Ne'er cast a clout til May be out" seems appropriate!

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 am

But remember it's not May the month but the flower !!...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am

Went down to 8 degrees here and the heating was back on last night. It was particularly cold during the hail storm we had yesterday afternoon. Lovely bright sunny day today and lovely to see the clear horizon again after all that dusty haze and muddy rain we had the week before. The wind is chilly though and much of our orange blossom has been a good 2 months later than usual.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 pm

On the plus side this year so far has been very good for us hay fever sufferers. I have a sneaky feeling the Oaks and Olives (late flowering Picauls and Hoji Blancas) will let rip all at once when we have warmer weather.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:But remember it's not May the month but the flower!!...
Yes, that's another possibility, but if you Google it you will see that the equally accepted explanation is May the month.

The clout refers to clothes, and as I said before, the Spanish never seem to get their summer clothes out until June.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:39 am

Read an article in the Times..."What is going on with the weather" Says how Northern Europe has been enjoying high temperatures. Oslo broke records with 31C. Meanwhile in France many vinyards have been devasted by wind and violent hailstorms, estimating that 8 million bottles of champagne have been lost. Thunderstorms here too but patchy. We didn't get any until last Thursday when it started hailing and then torrential rain, worst I have seen since Spain. Only lasted about half hour whilst 10 miles away it was sunny.

Gardens have gone mad, never looked as good, I wonder if it was the late spring giving them a bit more rest time.

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Katy

I see you have been a member for a long time. As you have not completed "Location" in your profile yet,no other forum members knows which area you are talking about

Thanks

David

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Must be some sort of micro-climate here in Southport. Hardly any rain lately, and we've been sitting in the garden every day for what seems like weeks now. No kidding, I have a better tan now than I had in Spain - probably because in Spain I'd got to the point where I just wanted to keep out ofthe heat!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:51 pm

The odd weather is caused by a lot of high pressure all the way up to Iceland, which keeps the cold, wet Atlantic air away from the UK. That also affects the weather in Spain. As a general rule of thumb, if the weather is good in the UK it will be bad in Spain.

The high pressure is spreading over the next few days to the point where it covers the whole of the North Atlantic. I have never seen that before. It's not likely to change much until next week when the Jet Stream is forecast to move over the UK and that is when it should get back to normal in Spain.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Our pools at 26C. I doubt any outdoor pool in uk is 26C!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Scotland has been sunny for past few weeks, glorious today

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:42 pm

:-) Someone how knows I flit between countries said I must be just back from Spain, lovely colour hahahaha I have been in sunny Scotland for over a month. The weather is just braw :-)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:53 am

Keep watching the forcast for Edinburgh for this coming Sat and it keeps changing daily..It was forcasted to be about 19 or 20 but its changed to 14...as long as it dosent rain im not bothered... we are all off to see the Rolling Stones at Murrayfield stadium... :thumbup:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:23 am

Pamela1 wrote:as long as it dosent rain im not bothered... we are all off to see the Rolling Stones at Murrayfield stadium... :thumbup:
Saw them at Wembley in 1995. Brilliant. The same day that Jonny Herbert won the Britsh grand prix at Silverstone.